autofire (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
MysteryMachine (resized).jpg
20221228_191535 (resized).jpg
20221228_191526 (resized).jpg
20221228_102122 (resized).jpg
639F1BCD-1D35-4157-974E-90C34B326ECC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TopMoose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 8 years ago

Hi, JY Club

I'm looking at Junk Yard as my next pin and wanted to find out:

1. What common problems to look for. I'm aware that the left ramp is often broken and the sewer probably gets some wear but what other plastics, parts and areas should I be sure to check out?

2. If anyone is thinking of selling or trading a good condition Junk Yard (or trading plus cash for a POTC) please let me know.

Thanks!

1 week later
#111 8 years ago

Hi Junk Yard Club!

I'm nearly a member! While I'm waiting for the truck to arrive, I've started to put together a ring kit, based on the diagram in the handbook, but I have a few questions:

1. It looks like there are rings in the upper right corner, behind the bus, but they're not called out in the diagram. What's there? What would I need?

2. The kit calls for 3 1/2" rings (F), but the locations called out (behind the refrigerator, under the refrigerator ramp and below the right recycle targets) not only look like completely different size shapes, none of them look like a 1/2" ring will fit. What should go there?

3. Is there anything missing from the kit? The rubber list in my TOTAN manual omits two important rings and at least six other, minor pieces.

Thanks!

JYringKit_(resized).jpgJYringKit_(resized).jpg

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Geeeez. Go for Red flipper rubber at least - better bounce and requires more skill to control and pass the ball!

I'm getting Titan Competition Silicone - plenty bouncy and super-durable.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, that's good. (I'm still old-school.. back in my day, red was bouncy, black was dead. People had their preference.. Now, I see something with black flippers, and groan... forgetting that options are now available.. )

I was thinking that light blue might also look good on the flippers.

#117 8 years ago

Looks like I figured out my question #2 (sort of) by cross-checking the part numbers - the handbook has some errors.

B (black rubber grommet) is a 7/16" OD
D should be .75" ring
E should be 1" ring
F should be 1.5" ring

But that space below the refrigerator ramp still looks too big, even for a 1.5" ring. Maybe I'll get an extra 2" just in case?

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

I purchase rubbers in bulk so when installing new rubber I can change out the size if I don't like how it fits. But I took a look at my machine tonight. Both rubbers under the fridge are 1.5". In the far back corner under the bus there isn't any rubber on my machine. It really doesn't need it as I have only seen the ball get 3/4 of the way back there and that was only once or twice. It just doesn't have a straight shot to get back to that corner.
--
Jeremy
P.S. take a few photos of your new Junk Yard when you get it.

DSC02495_(resized).JPGDSC02496_(resized).JPGDSC02497_(resized).JPGDSC02499_(resized).JPGDSC02500_(resized).JPG

That helps me out enormously! It's so hard to tell from the diagrams. Thanks, Jeremy!

I'll be sure to take photos. Right now, the check is in the mail and soon I'll be able to schedule delivery. Titan rings and LEDs are on my list as well as Cliffy's and maybe the Pingraffix inside decals down the road. I've also been talking to pinsider Pinball_Customs about my idea for a custom shooter rod. SO excited!

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

You're most welcome.
I'm slowly customizing my machine. Since I like incandescent bulbs I have changed some to colored. I put in blue flashers behind the car targets and changed the GI by the crane to red - it really pops. Here's what I did a few days ago - changed the DOG to green.
DSC02494_(resized).JPG
I guess I have an issue living with clear inserts
--
Jeremy

Nice! I think the "Choose Junk" and "Collect Junk" inserts will be good places for color-changing LEDs. I might put some in the GI by the bus as well.

1 week later
#123 8 years ago

It finally arrived!
But it was literally frozen when it arrived, having spent the past three days in trucks, so I'll wait until it warms up a bit before plugging it in.

P1180408_(resized).JPGP1180408_(resized).JPG
P1180411_(resized).JPGP1180411_(resized).JPG

My game came with this promotional clock. I'm curious if anyone else has one.

P1180413_(resized).JPGP1180413_(resized).JPG

P1180409_(resized).JPGP1180409_(resized).JPG

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

I love my JY.....sure, it's not the most challenging, but the charm is in the bizarre, hodgepodge theme......

Yes! It has a story with such specific details that it seems like it was based on cartoon that never got made. I love that it references other pinball games.

BTW - has anyone noticed the Doctor Who reference? On the playfield, the building between the DOG inserts and the Sewer arrow looks a little like a Tardis, no?

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It would have been absolutely fantastic if some game they made in '99 actually had 'Night Mission', like the Time Machine references.

Williams was probably in the early stages of designing MM at the time, so maybe Knight Mission was an early, abandoned idea. My other thought is that it was an early idea for SWE1.

1 month later
#133 8 years ago

Here are a few photos of my custom lighting.

P3110437_(resized).JPGP3110437_(resized).JPG
Green around Spike and the sewer.

P3110434_(resized).JPGP3110434_(resized).JPG
Orange behind the wrecking ball.

P3110440_(resized).JPGP3110440_(resized).JPG
Blue leading to white at the toilet.

P3110435_(resized).JPGP3110435_(resized).JPG
Blue under the bus and red in the corner (creating a purple effect in between)

Back flashers are blue and the ramp flashers are red. Under the wrecking ball is white. Lights under the playfield mostly match the inserts, but the toaster gun lights are orange and the recycle lights are green (creating a sort of teal effect).

1 month later
#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Are the two flashers on the back of the playfield by the van and toilet supposed to actually have bulbs (and sockets)? Mine seem to be completely missing and I wanted to make sure this was not the norm.

Yes - I put blue flash bulbs in mine. They should go off during the bonus countdown.

Do you have one of the sample machines? Maybe it's a change from the regular production games? Let us know if there are holes in the back panel behind your domes.

7 months later
#171 7 years ago

My favorite games are the ones that tell a story, so Junk Yard is a perfect fit. It's been in my collection for 11 months and I have no desire to move it.

However, if I had a say in code changes, I'd want to see:
1. Skippable dog mode intros
2. No video modes while adventures are running

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I would have to agree - while I don't own this game (yet), I do want to get one. I play it a lot on my laptop when I'm commuting, and when the video mode starts - I just let the timer run down. The score awarded isn't worth the time.
I wouldn't mind cracking into the ROM and just skipping the mode altogether.

Quoted from jecase:

If the D_O_G lights were not credited during adventures and during multi-ball, then I think I would be down to 2-3 video modes per game which would be OK. I really like the wizard mode as you really need to make the specific shots to win and too many misses let's Crazy Bob win. In contrast, my Attack From Mars has a wizard mode where you just need to keep some balls in play as long as necessary to score 5 BILLION! Not putting down the AFM, it is probably the favorite of friends and family and I really enjoy it.

I don't mind the video modes - I think it's great to have an alternate way to collect junk and fireworks from the left flipper and it adds variety to the gameplay - but I agree that there are often too many of them. My record in a single game is Save the Girl Level 16, which got really boring. Also, in my hypothetical code update, I'm thinking one could advance D-O-G during adventures but not start a video mode until the adventure is done.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Level 16, cool! What's the highest level of run Spike that you have done? Level 4 is it for me.

I think I got to Run From Spike level 3. I usually try to collect the hair dryer last.

1 week later
#188 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I am having an extremely hard time hitting the toilet and bus ramps lately. When I first got the machine I could hit them spot on regularly, so I'm not quite sure what the deal is. I just continuously hit the center post dead on between the two and its extremely frustrating.

I feel like the toilet ramp is one of the narrowest shots in pinball. It can't be more than two inches wide.

#190 7 years ago

I got curious and took out my ruler - it's 1 5/8" wide at the opening. The ball is 1 1/16", which leaves 9/16" margin of error.

The best bet is probably to shoot a little wide, so it hits the left rail and glides up the ramp.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Just picked up A JY this week!
Looks like the laseriffic topper is a must also some mirror blades
can anyone else suggest must have mods?
Also a shaker would be insane connected to targets at wrecking ball. I think you can just use the same one for AFM from pinbits right?
Happy Holidays!

Very pretty, congrats!
Cliffy's hole protector is a must and Titan silicone rings really add to the color of the game.

1 week later
#200 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hi. Just picked up one of these and don't know a thing about it. Does the game always start off shooting 2 balls?
Anything I should know about?
Thanks!

Welcome and congrats! JY keeps a staged ball under the refrigerator, ready to pop out when the ball in play goes in the sewer, toilet or alley. It speeds up the gameplay a little. So if a ball is missing from the staged setup, the game will launch two, hold one, and send the other one into play.

There's a menu option if you want to turn off the staged ball.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I mean that 2 balls loaded into the shooter lane and I had to shoot them both.
I'll get a photo

Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Not normal. Check the shooter lane switch, ball trough for divots and trough optos for proper operation.
My junkyard has had a lot of plays and most of the micro switches were bad.

Might be a bad trough opto.

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just picked it up. My wife's brother is a plumber and was at a friends house working on something. The guy asked him..."Know anybody who wants to buy this pinball machine?" I got the call and picked it up within 20 minutes! He said he paid $4,500 for it. My buddy is coming over this weekend to check it out and see what it needs.
I think the shooter lane spring is weak as I have a hard time shooting the ball. A couple of the leg screws are stripped. After I play for a while, I may be putting it up for trade.

Nice! Whatcha got there is one of the rarer sample games with the wrecking ball magnet! Later production models replace it with a flasher. Looks like it's in good shape overall. But is something weird with the display or is that just a reflection?

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is this what you mean?

Correct side but a little lower, towards the flippers. It's a scoop hole and there should be a plastic piece with a Manhole cover over it.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I have this picture. Is that the manhole cover? I can take more pix tonight when I get home. If you want me to snap any other areas, let me know.
Do you know how much this machine is worth?

That's it. The sewer hole is an important part of gameplay, so the edges tend to get worn down. Cliffy's makes a metal protector which is a challenge to install, but which I recommend.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I have this picture. Is that the manhole cover? I can take more pix tonight when I get home. If you want me to snap any other areas, let me know.
Do you know how much this machine is worth?

JY's have recently been going for $3500 to $3800. If you fix the leg and DMD issues and add LED's, a good condition sample game might go for $4000 to $4300.

#227 7 years ago

I know, right? JY is often looked down on, but I think its reputation is slowly growing. There should be 4 balls total, but one is often hiding in the VUK under the refrigerator. They all go into play during Outer Space wizard mode.

Looks like a little wear on the sewer, which isn't uncommon. The Cliffy would cover it up.

#229 7 years ago

Multiball is 3 balls, Wrecking Ball hurry-up is 2 balls and Wizard Mode is 4 balls. Check the trough first - it should have at least 3 balls. To find the 4th you'd have to lift the playfield and check the subway (or do a ball eject via the menu options). Usually the game won't start if it senses too many or too few balls.

#238 7 years ago

If there's a problem, you'll likely hear BONG BONG BONG on startup and it will tell you to check the diagnostics - which could be anything from a bad switch to a fried coil.

If you see a period after the CREDITS display (or after the words FREE PLAY if it's set to free play), that also indicates a technical issue. But if you got through a few games, there's most likely nothing to worry about.

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Another question....Upon closer inspection, and cleaning the playfield, I saw this plastic with two small cracks in it. Lucky, I found and bought a new plastic to replace it. It looks like the plastic has to be bent down and screwed in. How do I prevent this from happening again? Is it bent down too much? Help!

There should be a nylon spacer on that screw (maybe 1/4" or 5/8") to prevent it from going too far. But yeah, that plastic is frequently cracked.

But who wants a minty Junk Yard? I think they look better with a few dings and bumps.

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Rules question:
How do you re-light "Choose Junk" and "Collect Junk" from the toilet and bus ramps?

The bus ramp does all the re-lighting for both. Shoot the bus ramp a certain number of times to light Magic Bus, Collect Junk, Choose Junk and Window Shopping. Some day I'll write down how many it takes for each.

1 week later
#286 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Does anyone have a list or chart of the color LED's for Junk Yard? I may just start out doing a few…..

Mine has orange around the crane, blue under the bus, green by the sewer (with a pink flasher in the doghouse) orange on the sides, blue under the left ramp and warm white under the toilet. I use warm white in the slings and purple in the lane dividers. It's a game that can handle a gaudy color scheme.

#288 7 years ago

I'm thinking of trying Comet's "fire" bulbs behind the crane.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can use LED's for the backglass as well, right? All white?

I used mostly warm white, but orange and blue behind the logo and different colors for the window shopping lights.

1 month later
#306 7 years ago

Showing off a little craft project I've been working on.

P2250461 (resized).JPGP2250461 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#323 7 years ago

I installed my ColorDMD today and it is awesome. 100% recommend.

2 weeks later
#332 7 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

no one has any pics of the colorDmD on my favorite game?

ColorDMD put together their own preview video - it's on YouTube.

3 weeks later
#345 6 years ago

I sometimes have friends over to play but when I try explaining the objectives and rules, their eyes glaze over and they can't keep track of anything. So I made this video, showing the basic goals of the game - hopefully, demonstrating the game like this will help them to understand. Also, it shows off the new ColorDMD!

I know it leaves out a lot of the nuances and several features, but it's just intended to give the uninitiated a general look at how to play.

Enjoy!

2 weeks later
#364 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Yep, the game was designed to be dark and disorienting. Part of the challenge.

Agreed. If the flashing lights make it harder to keep track of the ball then they're doing their job.
Maybe Junk Yard isn't the right game for you. May I suggest Walking Dead or Stern Star Trek? Both have bright-as-day GI.

2 months later
#389 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

Anyone else have problem with the bus ramp? 50% of the time my ball jumps off the ramp when it first hits it. The toilet ramp has a cover on it to prevent this, but my bus ramp does not.

Make sure it's anchored to its post behind the scoop - that hex bolt is a pain to access but it's super important because it sets the pitch of the bus ramp. I accidentally left it off after my last big cleaning and had problems with the ball flying off the ramp or bouncing back down when the stop post goes up.

2 months later
#406 6 years ago

I'm having a weird switch issue on my game and wonder if someone here can help. I've described the problem in a separate post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-flippers-trigger-playfield-optos-junk-yard

Thanks!

2 months later
#431 6 years ago

More junk = higher bonus
Alley scoop + ramp combo = bonus multiplier (maxes at X6)
Build the toilet value before playing GTA
Always go for fireworks
Outer Space is the biggest scoring opportunity

Mamuska and Saucer Attack are the only Time Machine games worth playing. The others are too dangerous. Skill shot awards are pretty random and shouldn't be relied upon.

It's the rare game where playing in order and advancing the story results in the highest score.

#436 6 years ago

A few more thoughts on scoring:

- If possible, start Crane Multiball or try for Mamushka right before the Great Toilet Adventure. All three are "every switch is X points" modes, so stacking them can be lucrative.

- If possible, stack a Multiball with Air Tactical Combat. Mostly so you can wail on the crane without worrying about draining. That crane is unpredictable and the out lanes are cavernous.

- If you're going for high scores, get the hair dryer first - Save The Girl awards way more points than Run From Spike, even in the later levels.

2 months later
#440 6 years ago

I've recently decided to change up my collection and have posted my Junk Yard on the Marketplace. So if there are any fans out there who are looking for one, this is a beautiful example:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62186

3 weeks later
#448 6 years ago

I've updated my listing on the Marketplace. Have a look:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62186

5 years later
#792 8 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe that Crazy Bob IS the Wizard Mode. After this? You start over and gotta do it again.

After fighting Bob, you get to keep all your junk. It's just a matter of playing through the Adventures again for a re-match.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TopMoose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-club-all-welcome?tu=TopMoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.