autofire (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
MysteryMachine (resized).jpg
20221228_191535 (resized).jpg
20221228_191526 (resized).jpg
20221228_102122 (resized).jpg
639F1BCD-1D35-4157-974E-90C34B326ECC (resized).jpeg
There are 798 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I joined the club yesterday. Great shape junkyard, thanks glsp3022 .

Enjoy the game!!

Quoted from PinballTilt:Adding a toast gun as a topper? I'm thinking about picking up a secondhand toaster and hair dryer from Goodwill and getting my crafting on.

Love that idea!! Make it happen!

#352 6 years ago

Has anyone ever noticed that the way the toaster gun is portrayed isn't consistent? On the playfield the hair dryer is under the toaster, on the backglass and on the dmd the hair dryer goes through the back of the toaster.

2/3 means I'm making it go through the toaster. Anyone have any plastic Toast? Surprisingly hard to find, haha

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Anyone have any plastic Toast?

My kids had plastic toast in sets of fake food for their play kitchen when they were young. Check toy stores, dollar stores for plastic food sets.

#354 6 years ago

Who's installed a metal bus? I have one off amazon -- started to install it last night but realized the bracket it made to install to the bottom of the roof of the rubber original with the hollow inside. Obviously the metal ones aren't hollow, and after drilling holes in the bottom I realized it's sitting a whole bus taller being mounted to the tranny area by the wheels rather than roof.

How did other people mount theirs?? Did you modify your metal bracket, mount it higher, or modify your bus to allow the bracket to pass thru inside and mount to roof like the original?

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

How did other people mount theirs?? Did you modify your metal bracket, mount it higher, or modify your bus to allow the bracket to pass thru inside and mount to roof like the original?

IIRC: My toy van was in two parts; the top metal shell and bottom plastic with the tires. I took the mount out of the game and assembled the van around it. Turned the van upside down, set the JY mount in loose resting against the underside of the top of the van, and then screwed the bottom the van in. The metal of the mount fit in-between the side of the van's bottom and top. Turned it over and stuck it back in the game. Gravity and friction from the mount being wedged held it in place. Worked well.

#356 6 years ago

Gave it some thought and decided to dremel the middle of mine out (it disassembled into a bottom, middle with seats, windows, and roof. Removed enough to get the bracket thru the bottom and middle, and drilled holes in roof for screws to go thru to secure with nuts. Added a socket and flex slow-change color led in middle of bus, with reflective tape on the inside of the roof.

Turned out pretty sweet imo. Pictures of assembly and final product:
IMG_3727 (resized).JPGIMG_3727 (resized).JPG
IMG_3731 (resized).JPGIMG_3731 (resized).JPG
IMG_3733 (resized).JPGIMG_3733 (resized).JPG
IMG_3732 (resized).JPGIMG_3732 (resized).JPG
IMG_3729 (resized).JPGIMG_3729 (resized).JPG
IMG_3734 (resized).JPGIMG_3734 (resized).JPG
IMG_3737 (resized).JPGIMG_3737 (resized).JPG
IMG_3739 (resized).JPGIMG_3739 (resized).JPG
IMG_3735 (resized).JPGIMG_3735 (resized).JPG

#357 6 years ago

Do people in this club recommend replacing the gi with leds? I'm wondering if the leds in this game are making it hard to see the ball during the strobing effect sequences. I find it very hard to see the ball when the lights go off and on in this game. Anyone have this issue too after going to leds?

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Gave it some thought and decided to dremel the middle of mine out (it disassembled into a bottom, middle with seats, windows, and roof. Removed enough to get the bracket thru the bottom and middle, and drilled holes in roof for screws to go thru to secure with nuts. Added a socket and flex slow-change color led in middle of bus, with reflective tape on the inside of the roof.
Turned out pretty sweet imo. Pictures of assembly and final product:

Good write up! Also nice idea with the reflective tape.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Good write up! Also nice idea with the reflective tape.

Thanks -- can't take credit for tape though-- someone mentioned it earlier in thread

This is def a nice upgrade for jy though vs the blue rubber bus

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Do people in this club recommend replacing the gi with leds? I'm wondering if the leds in this game are making it hard to see the ball during the strobing effect sequences. I find it very hard to see the ball when the lights go off and on in this game. Anyone have this issue too after going to leds?

It CAN indeed be an issue. The way the GI's strobe on and off is disorienting in the dark. You could put in spotlights to lessen the effect but they would have to be tied to an always-on circuit (like the coin door lights) or they too would strobe on and off and make the problem worse.

Only problem with this idea is that the spots would be on during the pitch black opening sequence... kinda spoiling that a bit.

You could try purple spots first as they have more than enough white in them to light up the PF but look a little more "magical" than plain white spots - those simply look like somebody turned on an overhead light. Not very exciting.

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It CAN indeed be an issue. The way the GI's strobe on and off is disorienting in the dark. You could put in spotlights to lessen the effect but they would have to be tied to an always-on circuit (like the coin door lights) or they too would strobe on and off and make the problem worse.
Only problem with this idea is that the spots would be on during the pitch black opening sequence... kinda spoiling that a bit.
You could try purple spots first as they have more than enough white in them to light up the PF but look a little more "magical" than plain white spots - those simply look like somebody turned on an overhead light. Not very exciting.

Do leds make it worse though? I have heard that non ghosting leds tend to be strictly on or off, no slight fade like incandescent would have. Has anyone gone from incandescent to led and noticed that the strobing in the game makes locating the ball more difficult?

#362 6 years ago

I have all leds in mine. Probably a hair darker than bulbs. Yes leds are either on or off. I have pot ceiling lights in my basement on a dimmer.
I had to put my junk yard machine under one. Yes this machine can get pretty dark from time time during gameplay, very unique.
Its a great game. Breaking into a junk yard at night. Thats the theme.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Its a great game. Breaking into a junk yard at night. Thats the theme.

Yep, the game was designed to be dark and disorienting. Part of the challenge.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Yep, the game was designed to be dark and disorienting. Part of the challenge.

Agreed. If the flashing lights make it harder to keep track of the ball then they're doing their job.
Maybe Junk Yard isn't the right game for you. May I suggest Walking Dead or Stern Star Trek? Both have bright-as-day GI.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Do leds make it worse though? I have heard that non ghosting leds tend to be strictly on or off, no slight fade like incandescent would have. Has anyone gone from incandescent to led and noticed that the strobing in the game makes locating the ball more difficult?

My JM had the issue that the GI's deliberately pulse constantly throughout the game. This caused the LED's to "stairstep" up and down and was NOT pleasant.

So for that Herg's GI-OCD board made the effect work perfectly in JM.

If JY does the "pulsing" thing then the OCD board would make it much better with LEDs. If it's purely off-on (can't check right now as mine is not here at the house) then the OCD board may not help. Yes LED's are harder on the eyes than incandescent flashing on and off so you could go back to that in the GI and leave the inserts LED.

If this was a great feature all games (or at least MOST) would do it... instead it's kind of an annoying JY-only effect. It's hard to play the game comfortably in the dark and that's a shame.

If I keep mine (I've had it 15 years) I'm going the spotlight route to mellow the strobing GI. To hell with the intro.

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

My JM had the issue that the GI's deliberately pulse constantly throughout the game. This caused the LED's to "stairstep" up and down and was NOT pleasant.
So for that Herg's GI-OCD board made the effect work perfectly in JM.
If JY does the "pulsing" thing then the OCD board would make it much better with LEDs. If it's purely off-on (can't check right now as mine is not here at the house) then the OCD board may not help. Yes LED's are harder on the eyes than incandescent flashing on and off so you could go back to that in the GI and leave the inserts LED.
If this was a great feature all games (or at least MOST) would do it... instead it's kind of an annoying JY-only effect. It's hard to play the game comfortably in the dark and that's a shame.
If I keep mine (I've had it 15 years) I'm going the spotlight route to mellow the strobing GI. To hell with the intro.

Thank you for your reply. I would have to put incandescent back in to see if they step or just shut off.

Yes, the game is supposed to do the dark sequences, but I don't remember the one I played with incandescents being this bad. When the game was designed with this feature, it had incandescent bulbs. My question was simply if anyone noticed the effect getting worse from an eye strain and ball tracking viewpoint when switching to leds...

#367 6 years ago

Any chance someone could help with verifying these connections? I missed getting these pictures before disconnecting & tear down... this is below the top of shooter lane by spinner. Plus the connection to the mini selenoid on the dog scoop.

IMG_3746 (resized).JPGIMG_3746 (resized).JPG

IMG_3747 (resized).JPGIMG_3747 (resized).JPG

IMG_3748 (resized).JPGIMG_3748 (resized).JPG

IMG_3749 (resized).JPGIMG_3749 (resized).JPG

#368 6 years ago

Also missing this one on opposite side under recycle targets - weird that wires are different so wanted to make sure I don't blow shit up when I fire this back on after 4+ months of work

IMG_3751 (resized).JPGIMG_3751 (resized).JPG

IMG_3752 (resized).JPGIMG_3752 (resized).JPG

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Thank you for your reply. I would have to put incandescent back in to see if they step or just shut off.
Yes, the game is supposed to do the dark sequences, but I don't remember the one I played with incandescents being this bad. When the game was designed with this feature, it had incandescent bulbs. My question was simply if anyone noticed the effect getting worse from an eye strain and ball tracking viewpoint when switching to leds...

Oh sorry - yeah it's DEFINITELY harder on the eyes with LED's. Plus I like to play in as dark a setting as possible so that makes an LED'ed JY even more eye watering. Thing is once you see how nice the LED's look on that game you don't want to go back.

Of course on every other game I did completely with LED's I added spotlights to lighten the center of the PF so you don't have the dark PF with blinding inserts, etc. This one made me wait to do the spotlights so it's harder (for me) to track the ball. But I'd probably notice that on any LED'ed game without extra ambient lighting.

#370 6 years ago

Here is a gameplay Video with all LEDs. I can play it in the dark without Problems

I will make Someday a new one with the Colordmd, it Looks amazing with it.

#371 6 years ago

Still hoping someone has a reference photo or can snap one for me... I can't find what this connector is supposed to go to (it's under the spinner essentially, next to sewer). Is it just loose?
Thanks!

IMG_3775 (resized).JPGIMG_3775 (resized).JPG

IMG_3777 (resized).JPGIMG_3777 (resized).JPG

IMG_3776 (resized).JPGIMG_3776 (resized).JPG

#372 6 years ago

when the cable wire is green /blue it goes to the upper right 3 bank top

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

when the cable wire is green /blue it goes to the upper right 3 bank top

Pretty sure this is purple/green and white/orange on the harness side. Can't reach up to targets.. gotta be something close to the spinner or sewer hole

#374 6 years ago

purple green is scoop made

here you can check, see switch matrix

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4014/Williams_1996_Junk_Yard_Operator_Manual.pdf

#375 6 years ago

Ahh -- thanks! You got it, I'm missing my habitrail right now while it gets chromed - forgot it had a switch on it.

That chart should help with my other connectors as well though - was thinking it wouldnt work because I had different colors on harness side of connector vs the switch side but I just need to verify which switch it is.. harness side colors should all match matrix.

#376 6 years ago

Got my 3D car stack...sweeeeeet

20170608_210618 (resized).jpg20170608_210618 (resized).jpg

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Got my 3D car stack...sweeeeeet

Im painting mine right now -- could you take a couple pictures in the light and post them? It would be super helpful for comparison and inspiration. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#378 6 years ago

Junk Yard score cards
This was not my creation. However, I did try to resize it. Wanted to share this score card with all who might like it also.
I hope I did a good job. Getting the size right is not easy.
Printing tips. Photo paper and uncheck fit to page on your printer.

junk yard cards 2 (resized).jpgjunk yard cards 2 (resized).jpg

#379 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a JY and finally got it playing great after some cleaning and minor fixes. Has full LED's, new VW bus, and just put in the 3D car stack (looks awesome).

But, I did just notice something a bit odd. When I have an extra ball light on for the sewer, if I hit the dog shot it registers and I get the extra ball. So it seems to just register the sewer when it definitely should not be. Anyone have this happen before? thinking a switch that does not always register? No credit dots right now either.

#380 6 years ago

Does anyone have a new or very nice used toilet bowl ramp they would like to sell?

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

Hi Everyone,
I recently picked up a JY and finally got it playing great after some cleaning and minor fixes. Has full LED's, new VW bus, and just put in the 3D car stack (looks awesome).
But, I did just notice something a bit odd. When I have an extra ball light on for the sewer, if I hit the dog shot it registers and I get the extra ball. So it seems to just register the sewer when it definitely should not be. Anyone have this happen before? thinking a switch that does not always register? No credit dots right now either.

There is a (roll over?) switch leading to that shot. Check it out. I ended up replacing all the micro switches on mine.

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

There is a (roll over?) switch leading to that shot. Check it out. I ended up replacing all the micro switches on mine.

I will check it out. Perhaps it is just not registering every time. Will report back when I run some tests.

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

That was it! After some testing, I discovered that if the ball misses the switch before the dog hole, the game registers it as a sewer hit instead. During play the ball was just not pushing it down enough. Just had to bend the metal leaf on the switch to make sure it registered during every rollover.

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

That was it! After some testing, I discovered that if the ball misses the switch before the dog hole, the game registers it as a sewer hit instead. During play the ball was just not pushing it down enough. Just had to bend the metal leaf on the switch to make sure it registered during every rollover.

Excellent! Glad you got it fixed.

#385 6 years ago

Selling the sweet sample Junkyard to make room for another pin.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/51612

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Selling the sweet sample Junkyard to make room for another pin.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/51612

Good luck on a quick sale

1 week later
#387 6 years ago

I suggest JY owners get one of the 3D printed surrounds while they are available. They paint up very easily.

JY (resized).jpgJY (resized).jpg

1 month later
#388 6 years ago

Anyone else have problem with the bus ramp? 50% of the time my ball jumps off the ramp when it first hits it. The toilet ramp has a cover on it to prevent this, but my bus ramp does not.

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

Anyone else have problem with the bus ramp? 50% of the time my ball jumps off the ramp when it first hits it. The toilet ramp has a cover on it to prevent this, but my bus ramp does not.

Make sure it's anchored to its post behind the scoop - that hex bolt is a pain to access but it's super important because it sets the pitch of the bus ramp. I accidentally left it off after my last big cleaning and had problems with the ball flying off the ramp or bouncing back down when the stop post goes up.

1 month later
#390 6 years ago

I got a good opportunity to acquire this fine example that I'm going to sell or trade (unfortunately JY is not my cup of tea).

IMG-20171006-WA0028 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0028 (resized).jpg
IMG-20171006-WA0019 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0019 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0015 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0015 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0016 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0016 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0021 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0021 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0027 (resized).jpgIMG-20171006-WA0027 (resized).jpg

PS: Sorry for the s***y pics, I'll get better ones as soon as I pick the machine up.

Anyway, I know it's almost impossible to send the entire machine overseas, but if anyone gets interested on the amazing coin-door and/or the legs, maybe we can work out a deal!

#391 6 years ago

Added shaker motor. Rumbles when Frank's motor turns, and when the toliet microswitch is activated and when wrecking ball is hit.
Also installed a Pinsound card with custom sounds/call outs from Mater and Cars Tall Tales.

IMG_5245 (resized).JPGIMG_5245 (resized).JPG
IMG_5246 (resized).JPGIMG_5246 (resized).JPG
IMG_5247 (resized).JPGIMG_5247 (resized).JPG
IMG_5248 (resized).JPGIMG_5248 (resized).JPG
IMG_5249 (resized).JPGIMG_5249 (resized).JPG
IMG_5253 (resized).JPGIMG_5253 (resized).JPG
IMG_5254 (resized).JPGIMG_5254 (resized).JPG
IMG_5257 (resized).JPGIMG_5257 (resized).JPG
IMG_5258 (resized).JPGIMG_5258 (resized).JPG

#392 6 years ago

Amazing creativity! What is the other “Cars” themed pin in the background?

#393 6 years ago

And here she is, baby!

IMG_20171021_194400 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_194400 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171021_194233 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_194233 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171021_194029 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_194029 (resized).jpg

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Added shaker motor. Rumbles when Frank's motor turns, and when the toliet microswitch is activated and when wrecking ball is hit.
Also installed a Pinsound card with custom sounds/call outs from Mater and Cars Tall Tales.

Man, the CARS conversions you make are awesome! Can you open a specific thread to show us everything you got?

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Man, the CARS conversions you make are awesome! Can you open a specific thread to show us everything you got?

yes

1 week later
#396 6 years ago

Any interest on this beautiful piece of art?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/56119

IMG_20171021_193533 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_193533 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171021_193622 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_193622 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171021_193557 (resized).jpgIMG_20171021_193557 (resized).jpg

#397 6 years ago

That’s cool but $500 plus $200 shipping? Is that right?

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

That’s cool but $500 plus $200 shipping? Is that right?

Yep! The door itself is in terrific like new shape, and that price already includes all paypal fees and of course the Pinside donation.... Shipping is insured and tracked. Oh, I'll toss the shooter inside the package too!

1 week later
#399 6 years ago

Joined the club - fun game so different to the more serious games.

Anyone know if anyone is going to re-make the left ramp assembly?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-21212

#400 6 years ago

Welcome to the club

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 798 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-club-all-welcome/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.