autofire (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Nov 03, 12 27 50 PM (resized).jpg
MysteryMachine (resized).jpg
20221228_191535 (resized).jpg
20221228_191526 (resized).jpg
20221228_102122 (resized).jpg
639F1BCD-1D35-4157-974E-90C34B326ECC (resized).jpeg

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.
#551 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmafia:

Hi guys i just bought a junkyard and i put 4 balls in the game and now its spitting 2 balls in the ball shooter lane and my switch is good in the lane does the game take 3 or 4 balls ?

Takes four, but one is normally staged under the refrigerator, leaving three normally in the trough.

#552 3 years ago

Ok thanks i put 4 in the through thats why its spitting 2 balls

#553 3 years ago

Hi guys i just bought a junkyard and i put 4 balls in the game and now its spitting 2 balls in the ball shooter lane and my switch is good in the lane does the game take 3 or 4 balls ?

The manual says 4 balls. There should even be a sticker under the lockdown bar.

Remove the balls out of the trough, enter the switch edge test and drop the balls in to be sure all register. Then push up on the trough upkicker to be sure the upkicer registers as well. I suspect there is a burnt out transmitter opto in the trough somewhere keeping one of these 5 optos from registering.

#554 3 years ago

I checked all 4 optos in through but didnt check the 5th opto maybe that one is bad ill take a look thanks

#555 3 years ago

4 Balls refer to the Operations manual page 1-5 item 12 on https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4014

I had the same issue intermittently and the Ball Trough Assy A-19963-1 (Page 2-17) the A-18617-1 (item 15) the LED were not "clear", mine had gone "pink" in color replacing all the Opto Switch Emitter Element solved the spitting the 2 balls for my Junk Yard. Check all switch diagnostics. Make sure all mechanical in the trough and lane are properly adjusted.

1 week later
#556 3 years ago

I got a JY. Found a couple cables. Any idea what these are for? Thank you

15951823437714308673736605776095 (resized).jpg15951823437714308673736605776095 (resized).jpg
#557 3 years ago

I’d guess it was an import and those are left over from power conversion, at least the large one.. the only place I believe one if those is used is to it from the xfmr. The other looks like someone cleaned up a hack and that’s leftover garbage.

#558 3 years ago

These are from the factory for the bill validator. They are in all wpc games new, in the goody bag.

#559 3 years ago

Hello, well looking for this clear plastic location.on my JY. Thanks in advance

20200725_154109 (resized).jpg20200725_154109 (resized).jpg
#560 3 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

Hello, well looking for this clear plastic location.on my JY. Thanks in advance

Ball defector just above the refrigerator - installed on a slant

Loc (resized).pngLoc (resized).png
#561 3 years ago

Just joined the club, need a little help. I can't get the dog video mode to occur. I light the "dog" targets, and continue to hit the dog scoop, the video mode never happens. It just gives me "toast" points. I have even collected the toast gun and tried to activate it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

Just joined the club, need a little help. I can't get the dog video mode to occur. I light the "dog" targets, and continue to hit the dog scoop, the video mode never happens. It just gives me "toast" points. I have even collected the toast gun and tried to activate it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You need to check the switch at the entrance of the dog house. The switch is to the left of the hole in front of the dog house. If that switch doesn't register the only other switch which I think is an opto not sure is in the trough and you are getting credit for hitting the sewer. I had problems with that also, I got it to work adjusting it but it was still unreliable until I just replaced that switch. I would adjust it first and see how it goes.

#563 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

You need to check the switch at the entrance of the dog house. The switch is to the left of the hole in front of the dog house. If that switch doesn't register the only other switch which I think is an opto not sure is in the trough and you are getting credit for hitting the sewer. I had problems with that also, I got it to work adjusting it but it was still unreliable until I just replaced that switch. I would adjust it first and see how it goes.

Thanks for the response, I literally was about to delete my post because I found out that the switch you're referring to wasn't registering every time. Fixed it and all is good! Love this game

2 weeks later
#564 3 years ago

Hey All, just joined the club! My first grail pin! I read all 12 pages. I saw several owners installed NVRAM. NVRAM is great, however, you won't be able to set time and date with NVRAM, so midnight madness will be difficult to obtain. I love midnight madness!

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

NVRAM is great, however, you won't be able to set time and date with NVRAM, so midnight madness will be difficult to obtain.

Lucky for you the previous owner didn’t do that! (even though they bought the chips)

#566 3 years ago

You can adjust the time. It just will not keep the correct time while the game is off. I have NVRAM and like the idea of the random time because you never know when it pop up, especially with the time/date hidden.

I mean who really stays up and starts a game exactly at midnight anyway?

#567 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I mean who really stays up and starts a game exactly at midnight anyway?

ChrisPINk25 does!

1 week later
#568 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can someone please snap some detailed pictures of the back sections of Junk Yard? I did a full shop on my JY and in true rookie fashion, I forgot to take photos when I was tearing it down... I’m currently stuck here and I’m not sure what should go on next.

Thanks in advance!!

C44BE802-F7A6-48CD-A443-1AFBCE4E2862 (resized).jpegC44BE802-F7A6-48CD-A443-1AFBCE4E2862 (resized).jpegE2495F69-E6C1-4F35-B56E-EAE1022EC498 (resized).jpegE2495F69-E6C1-4F35-B56E-EAE1022EC498 (resized).jpeg
#569 3 years ago

Going through some parts from games I no longer own and came across this original WMS NOS spinner assembly. If anyone needs this, PM me

5DFECDE7-6DA6-41E2-90DF-EB3745E56C85 (resized).jpeg5DFECDE7-6DA6-41E2-90DF-EB3745E56C85 (resized).jpegD3746590-7EEA-4AFE-8518-15B02FD76FD6 (resized).jpegD3746590-7EEA-4AFE-8518-15B02FD76FD6 (resized).jpeg
#570 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Hi everyone,
Can someone please snap some detailed pictures of the back sections of Junk Yard? I did a full shop on my JY and in true rookie fashion, I forgot to take photos when I was tearing it down... I’m currently stuck here and I’m not sure what should go on next.
Thanks in advance!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Try scrolling up from the bottom of page two—
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junkyard-early-proto-playfield-swap-and-full-restoration/page/2#post-3605351

Some shots of those areas in various stages- although that’s a prototype field ..but all the hardware was the same as I remember.

#571 3 years ago

Thanks Mbecker ! This is super helpful. You did an awesome job on the PF swap/restoration. Very cool to see the end-to-end process and all the time/energy that goes into that project.

Do you have any idea what this set of wires goes to? I found it the other day and I'm not sure where it would connect?

IMG_3911 (resized).jpgIMG_3911 (resized).jpg
#572 3 years ago

Thanks! I’ll check on that — there’s two two plugs that go to the backbox light boards, could it be that?

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks! I’ll check on that — there’s two two plugs that go to the backbox light boards, could it be that?

Yes it could be... I'll try searching harder tonight.

All of my flashers do not seem to work on my JY so this many be related to that...

#574 3 years ago

Actually I see that dangling at the back of my machine. Not sure what it’s purpose was..

#575 3 years ago

Very strange! Could've been for the pop bumper assemnly that was cancelled...

#576 3 years ago

It is most likely a factory splice, they do that a lot..(Williams)..but it should be consistent with all machines...

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Very strange! Could've been for the pop bumper assemnly that was cancelled...

too many wires.. seems to be for lighting judging by the colors of the cables.

#578 3 years ago

Making good progress on my first ever complete shop/tear down. The game was sitting in my mother’s storage unit for 4 years, completely dirty and nasty. It’s been in my family for about 20 years, never cleaned. The playfield has cleaned up nicely and the game is in overall great shape.

The VUK scoop to the refrigerator completely broke off and I can only find one place in Australia that’s sells it. Looks like I’ll be waiting a few weeks for that to arrive.

All lights replaced my pinballbulbs.com LEDs. A new set of Titan runners on everything. I tumbled all of the parts with Novus 3 that would fit into my tumbler, those turned out really nice. Also replaced the shooter rod and springs.

More pics to come!

2333B337-65EB-414D-A8A4-1420BAE066DA (resized).jpeg2333B337-65EB-414D-A8A4-1420BAE066DA (resized).jpegB3DDF01C-61B0-46C3-A06D-4EC4BC5A8190 (resized).jpegB3DDF01C-61B0-46C3-A06D-4EC4BC5A8190 (resized).jpeg02E8A9D5-A14E-46D4-A8C4-0E8277D14753 (resized).jpeg02E8A9D5-A14E-46D4-A8C4-0E8277D14753 (resized).jpegA8144E04-0DFE-4120-9850-6728A318E6C7 (resized).jpegA8144E04-0DFE-4120-9850-6728A318E6C7 (resized).jpegE921F810-9D8D-4FAC-ADA4-AAF8386E678A (resized).jpegE921F810-9D8D-4FAC-ADA4-AAF8386E678A (resized).jpegE248EFFE-240F-4137-971F-9A59F5D49FD5 (resized).jpegE248EFFE-240F-4137-971F-9A59F5D49FD5 (resized).jpegD42E36B5-3E1A-41D7-AD34-33C1BBFD214D (resized).jpegD42E36B5-3E1A-41D7-AD34-33C1BBFD214D (resized).jpeg9964B31C-9BF5-4739-BF94-193EF69661F1 (resized).jpeg9964B31C-9BF5-4739-BF94-193EF69661F1 (resized).jpeg
#579 3 years ago

Any idea as to why my machine isn't saving the time correctly? It does not have nvram, just has AA batteries like normal. Saves the high scores and everything properly. But for some reason it loses time when it is powered off. Usually just loses a few hours, have to adjust the time each power on cycle.

Also, there are 2 flasher bulbs that are malfunctioning, when I put a new bulb in, they are solid lit and extremely bright. So I am assuming there is a power issue for those 2 bulbs, I obviously don't leave the bulbs in because they get extremely hot, they are definitely over powered.

3 weeks later
#580 3 years ago

Hey all,

I posted my JY today for sale/trade. It's an excellent example with some tasteful mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/102931

Dan

2 weeks later
#581 3 years ago

I am using ultimate lithium batteries. They cost a bit more. Just need to check them every few years. 5 years now and most of them test just like new.

shopping (resized).pngshopping (resized).png
3 weeks later
#582 3 years ago

Hey All,

I added the custom VW Hippie Bus to my Junk Yard. I documented it step by step. I know there is another thread out there, but I did this in case anyone needed a little re-assurance around doing this Mod. It was easier than I thought!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-custom-hippie-bus-vw-revisted

1 month later
3 weeks later
#584 3 years ago

Does anyone have a set of ramp flaps I could borrow? I need to take dimensions and make drawings of them so I can make them for the new repro ramps I am doing.

2 weeks later
#585 3 years ago

Anyone know where I can find the decals for the wrecking ball plastic. I have a new plastic without decals and the one in my game are all yellowed and thorn.

decal (resized).jpgdecal (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#586 3 years ago

Rookie question from someone who has owned this game for a substantial amount of time. How does one change the backbox bulbs? I recently moved it in my gameroom to a darker corner and realized that nearly all of the back box lights are out. I don't think I've ever changed them and I'm worried that I'll break that plastic container or some wires if I start yanking them out of there. Checked the manual and the internet with no results, so I'm sheepishly coming in here to ask for help.

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from PBaller22:

Rookie question from someone who has owned this game for a substantial amount of time. How does one change the backbox bulbs? I recently moved it in my gameroom to a darker corner and realized that nearly all of the back box lights are out. I don't think I've ever changed them and I'm worried that I'll break that plastic container or some wires if I start yanking them out of there. Checked the manual and the internet with no results, so I'm sheepishly coming in here to ask for help.

Have to take the glass and translite off. Unplug it and do it on a table.

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Copy that. Much appreciated!

#589 3 years ago

Hi,

Quick question on behalf of someone I recently sold my JY to --

He says that sometimes (Randomly) the game will reset back to attract mode in the middle of a game. I advised re-seating all connectors in the backbox. Trying to think of other possible causes.. 5V regulation? I figure that a 5v problem might reset it completely to a reboot though, not to attract... other ideas?

#590 3 years ago

I love my JY, it is bolted to the floor. Anyone else feel disappointed with the appearance of the stock fridge like me? Just looks too much like an unpainted and faded plastic box to me.
I looked around online to see if any mods were for sale, didn't come up with anything.

Suggestions, designs, pictures of your upgraded fridge?

#591 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hi,
Quick question on behalf of someone I recently sold my JY to --
He says that sometimes (Randomly) the game will reset back to attract mode in the middle of a game. I advised re-seating all connectors in the backbox. Trying to think of other possible causes.. 5V regulation? I figure that a 5v problem might reset it completely to a reboot though, not to attract... other ideas?

Definitely the 5v. The Kahr board can circumvent the issue. People will say it’s not a fix, however, it can work for many years to come.

#592 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Definitely the 5v. The Kahr board can circumvent the issue. People will say it’s not a fix, however, it can work for many years to come.

glad to hear someone else agrees with this -- I had suggested the Khar board, saying exactly what you just said lol. Although I *think* I may have put one in my Shadow years ago and forgotten about it..

#593 3 years ago

Howdy all - new JY owner courtesy of Mbecker and am experiencing the problem he mentions in the post above. Is there a way to monitor/measure the 5V to confirm the issue before buying and installing the Khar board? Completely new at this so any help is appreciated! I'm going to try to get a video next time I play.

#594 3 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

Howdy all - new JY owner courtesy of mbecker and am experiencing the problem he mentions in the post above. Is there a way to monitor/measure the 5V to confirm the issue before buying and installing the Khar board? Completely new at this so any help is appreciated! I'm going to try to get a video next time I play.

You can measure the voltage at the test points or pins for the plug.

#595 3 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Suggestions, designs, pictures of your upgraded fridge?

I saw that on ebay. Not sure it look that good but it might give you some idea.

ebay.com link: Junk Yard pinball fridge light 3D mod painted

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Quoted from PBaller22:

Copy that. Much appreciated!

I have just done this yesterday and it's really anoying vs the old WPC method. Don't forget to plug it in before reassembly to see if some bulbs prungs are not "bent" correctly. 40% of mine were not working on the first shot.

Speaking of LEDs in WPC95 backbox. I am the only one to think it look really washed out? I have single SMDs cool white all around and I think it look wayyy to bright and colors are all washed.

Any examples of non warm white / unwashed LED JY backboxes?

#597 3 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

Howdy all - new JY owner courtesy of mbecker and am experiencing the problem he mentions in the post above. Is there a way to monitor/measure the 5V to confirm the issue before buying and installing the Khar board? Completely new at this so any help is appreciated! I'm going to try to get a video next time I play.

Are you seeing any diagonal lines on the DMD before it resets back to attract mode? If so, that is a slam tilt issue. Spreading apart the tilt switch on the coin door will solve that issue.

If it really is a 5volt power reset issue, then you should measure across C31 on the MPU to see if the 5volts is 4.90v or higher. Any lower, you can get resets. If lower than 4.90v then reseat J101 and J114 on the driver board and J210 on the MPU to see if that helps.

#598 3 years ago

Also -

Are you seeing any diagonal lines on the DMD before it resets back to attract mode? If so, that is a slam tilt issue. Spreading apart the tilt switch on the coin door will solve that issue.
If it really is a 5volt power reset issue, then you should measure across C31 on the MPU to see if the 5volts is 4.90v or higher. Any lower, you can get resets. If lower than 4.90v then reseat J101 and J114 on the driver board and J210 on the MPU to see if that helps.

YES - this is exactly what I'm seeing. I'll check on this as soon as I get back home. Thanks!

#599 3 years ago

Spreading apart the tilt switch on the coin door will solve that issue

... Assuming it's not a matriox issue. (Bad diode, short, etc.)

#600 3 years ago

Issue resolved - thanks for the help @PinballManiac40! I had checked the plumb bob but wasn't aware of the slam tilt switches. I checked and the machine had recorded 24 tilts so that seems to confirm the fix

Random question - what is the clear circular hole in the plastic in front of Spike's house for? There's nothing underneath - it feels like there should be something on the playfield for you to look at through the "window" otherwise why is it there?

20210217_223742 (resized).jpg20210217_223742 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-club-all-welcome/page/12?hl=bertodrink1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.