IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
IMG_2951 (resized).JPG
IMG_20150618_165902_(resized).jpg
IMG_20150618_165829_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Almost a year ago I bought a Junk Yard pinball machine and have really found the rules and gameplay to be great. When i bought the machine the cars surround had some breakage that didnt really bother me enough to pay $60 for a new one. In considering that piece i thought it would look really cool if the cars above the 5 wrecking ball car targets were also 3 dimensional so i started this project. First I layed out the surround and sketched the 10 cars similar to the originals but in a way that made sense for a 3D version.
cad1-653.jpegcad1-653.jpeg

Then i extruded the various parts of the cars and skewed them a bit so they looked like they were piled on top of each other in a Junk Yard. I also took one of the cars on the top row and made it look like it was kind of falling in. At this point i probably had between 15-20 hours into 3D modeling this damn thing...
cad2.jpegcad2.jpeg

Then i had a buddy of mine 3D print it for me. I decided to make it out of a translucent blue plastic, knowing that the end result wont really be clear but have some translucency. Plus this is what he had already and i knew it was going to all get detail painted anyway. Here is the solid right out of the printer:
3dprint1.jpeg3dprint1.jpeg

At this point its hard to see the detail because of the way the light hits it but i was actually very pleased with the result. Next step was to trim off the support material that was added during the printing process and mock it up in the machine. I also primed the surfaces i was planning on painting. Here's a couple of pics in my machine:
primedinstalled1.jpegprimedinstalled1.jpeg

primedinstalled2.jpegprimedinstalled2.jpeg

Also, here's a pic before i primed it. it shows the translucency of the solid and you can see the internal honeycomb structure that fills the solid cavities.
translucency.jpegtranslucency.jpeg

Im currently in the process of painting the cars and will post some more pics soon but i wanted to hear peoples feedback on it and i was also wondering if anyone would want to buy one. I would only really want to sell the solid right out of the printer and it would be about $60. You would have to possibly remove support material and drill the holes. You would definitely have to paint the entire thing. It would most likely come as seen in this picture:
3dprint1.jpeg3dprint1.jpeg

Thank you for checking out my first pinball "mod". Hope you like it.
-Tom

#5 9 years ago

Thank you guys! Heres a pic from a lower perspective.

primedinstalled3.jpegprimedinstalled3.jpeg
#7 9 years ago

Started to add some color and decided to paint the tabs black.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 9 years ago

Finished the majority of the painting although I might decide to paint the windows and stuff or paint black trim outlines around them. I also think I want to make the cars look a little grungy, maybe rub a little shoe polish on them? Heres a before/after for comparison.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-214.jpgimage-214.jpg image-352.jpgimage-352.jpg image-258.jpgimage-258.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Thanks guys! I think it actually looks better in person. I'm very happy with how it's coming out.

1 week later
#20 9 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I used unigraphics to model it. Also I just bought a makerbot 3d printer so I now can and will be selling a few of these since people seem interested. I also made a couple of changes to the design so that it fits up a little better and the areas in between the cars is now hollow instead of filled. I should be able to make one tomorrow so I will give an update with pics.

#21 9 years ago

Here's a pic of the latest model tweaks I did. Slightly smaller tabs and hollows between the cars are the biggest changes. I am hoping my printer filament arrives today so I can make one!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#24 9 years ago

Ok so after some messing around and losing a few prints I've finally figured out how to make the part without a hitch. Here's a pic of the final design printed in a "transparent" material. I'm gonna try to make one out of black material to see how that looks too.

image-758.jpgimage-758.jpg
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Looks very nice! How's the durability? That piece seems to get a lot hits.

I am not sure about the durability yet but it feels like it will hold up. I'm going to mount it with rubber washers and try to break it before I sell any to be sure it's somewhat durable. Honestly that piece isn't really supposed to get hit much but the wrecking balls and chain break often and they end up getting mounted too high so the surround gets hit more. That's why mine was broken I think.

#28 9 years ago

Mounted it up last night and played a few games where I was trying to hit the wrecking ball hard. I didn't have rubber washers so I just mounted it without washers. The ball wasn't really hitting the part hard enough for me so I took off the glass and started smashing the wrecking ball against the 3d car surround. I flung the wrecking ball really hard at the part 15-20 times and this thing is durable. I honestly was hitting it so hard that I thought it would break and it didn't. I think mounting it with only the 2 outer screws helps it absorb shock but I flung it against the outer cars too and no breakage at all. I am confident now that it won't break. I also printed one in black and started masking the windows for paint on the translucent one. Here's a couple of pics.

image-222.jpgimage-222.jpg image-265.jpgimage-265.jpg image-381.jpgimage-381.jpg
#33 9 years ago

Cool stuff. Thanks guys.

So at this point I've decided that I can produce and sell these. So here goes:

What you will get:
1 - 3d printed 3d cars surround in a raw (as printed) state. (UNPAINTED)

YOU will have to:
1) Buy one
2) Remove some random support material on back of part(approx 10 min with needle nose pliers)
3) Clean up the surface imperfections(sandpaper or small blade, maybe 10-20 mins, most of it comes off easily)
4) Drill 2 holes to line up with your machine
5) Prime and paint part to your liking(countless hours)(also I want to disclose that the surface is not perfectly smooth so painting is a little harder than normal. See pic attached. After a couple of coats of paint it smooths out but 1 coat is probably not gonna cut it. That's why I recommend priming it first.)
6) Post a pic of your finished part!!

Cost: $70 US via paypal gift or add $5 if you don't want to do gift. This price INCLUDES shipping to the continental US!

I already have a few people on the list to buy one. You will have to tell me if you want translucent or black. Then I will make it and ship it as soon as I can. If nothing goes wrong it should be within a couple of days. If you message me I will put you on the list and when I'm ready I will contact you to make the sale.

Also as I paint my final one up I will post my progress and any recommendations I can think of. Thank you,

-Tom

image-90.jpgimage-90.jpg

#35 9 years ago

That picture is a bit zoomed in so it exaggerates the lines. You can't see them after a couple of coats of paint. Especially when installed in the machine, they are very minor.

#38 9 years ago

With the black one I'm gonna hand paint the primer only on areas to be painted, then do coats of paint till it looks good. The translucent one is getting the windows masked and then I'm gonna do spray primer and paint. What's nice about the black one is that you won't have to paint the tabs or the tires. What's nice about the translucent one is that you could potentially add lighting to it and it might illuminate a little.

Of course this is what I plan on doing but you can do whatever you want. And just to be clear, if you buy one it comes completely UNpainted(no paint).

#40 9 years ago

I have started painting my surround and I have a recommendation based on my experience. If you have the translucent one and you want to keep the windows unpainted, masking them off makes the painting much easier and it allows you to spray primer the whole part which also makes the painting easier. The plastic can actually be painted without primer but the primer helps soak up the paint so it doesn't run.

#43 9 years ago

I can ship pretty much anywhere but you should contact me to work out the price. I've done canada for an extra $5 and Spain was an extra $10. That's usps first class which has no tracking and could take a few weeks. Any other options are gonna be way more money.

4 weeks later
#44 9 years ago

I've managed to ship a few of these out to people interested and I'm hoping people might post pictures of their cars surround after they paint it and mount it up. I still haven't finished the one for my machine, I'm about 50% done. One thing ive noticed while painting these things is that its best to paint the nooks and tight areas first then work out to the easier areas. That way you can cover up any paint marks unintentionally made.

I did have another pinsider, modfather, paint one of them for me as part of a deal and I'm thinking I will sell it if anyone is interested. The paint lines aren't perfect but it looks sweet when it's in the machine. Attached are the pics but feel free to ask me for more specific pics if you want. Also the pic of the machine turned on has some led spotlights added so it'll look a little darker if you don't add spotlights to yours. I'm looking for $125 shipped(USA) for it. It's all ready to mount up and look great. First person to say they want it and pay me will get it.

image-289.jpgimage-289.jpg image-482.jpgimage-482.jpg image-194.jpgimage-194.jpg image-915.jpgimage-915.jpg image-899.jpgimage-899.jpg
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from ericthehalfb:

Tom, I would like to purchase your mod. Can you add my name to the list? Thanks, Eric

Pm sent.

If anyone is interested in the painted one or the unfinished one please send me a PM. Thank you.

-Tom

#49 9 years ago

Thanks again modfather for painting that one!

FYI: the painted one is sold pending payment.

#50 9 years ago

Painted one is sold!

#53 9 years ago

So I've almost finished painting my personal surround. I still want to add a few details and try to make the cars look a little dirty but here it is so far:
image.jpgimage.jpg

It's definitely not an easy part to paint but it's doable with patience. Also I highly recommend spraying a thick primer on it before paint to help fill the small ridges and stuff. It also helps to see imperfections that you can smooth out prior to paint.

I am still able to sell a few more of these if anyone else is interested. Here are the details(sorry for reiterating).

Unfinished(unpainted) 3d cars surround for JunkYard.
$70usd shipped to USA. If you paypal and aren't comfortable with gift payment, please add $3 to cover the fees. I can ship international, just contact me for a shipping price.
Here is how it comes:
image-518.jpgimage-518.jpg
image-171.jpgimage-171.jpg

You have to remove a little of the 3d printer support material from the back(needle nose pliers works good). You also have to paint it and drill the 2 holes.

Chuck(modfather) has offered to paint them for people. If you want to see pics of one that he painted look back in this post, I sold one that he painted for me. When it was installed in the game it looked great, but if your a perfectionist you might wanna paint it yourself. I can directly ship it to him if we all work out the details, just pm us. You will have to pay him separately from me and he will ship it to you when it's done. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

-Tom

#54 9 years ago

Finally finished it up!
image.jpgimage.jpg

1 month later
#56 9 years ago

I still have a couple of unpainted surrounds if anyone else wants one.

9 months later
#58 8 years ago

I just 3D printed two more unpainted ones in case anyone is still interested. Again here are the details:

Cost: $70 US, This price INCLUDES shipping to the continental US!

What you will need to do:
- remove some tiny imperfections and such left over from the printing process(I do most or all of this before I ship it usually)
- Drill 2 holes to line up with your machine(I usually mark where mine is drilled for reference)
- Paint part to your liking(countless hours)(also I recommend priming the whole part before paint. It will help to smooth the tiny lines from the 3D printing process and keep the paint from bleeding)

Pm me. Thank you,

-Tom

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

3 months later
#60 7 years ago

Update!! I had a friend of mine who is a model painter paint up 4 of these for me. He did them similar to the one I did and made the cars look dirty like they would in a junkyard. The price on these is $135 including shipping in the US. First come first serve as there's only 4 of them and 1 or 2 might already be sold. Thanks,

-Tom

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#61 7 years ago

Bottom one is sold.

#62 7 years ago

Top one also sold.

#63 7 years ago

These painted ones are all sold. I'm just waiting payment on one of them. If I get more of these painted I will bump this post and it will be first come first serve. Thank you all for the interest!!

-Tom

11 months later
#76 7 years ago

Sorry for not replying to the thread quickly. I am going to make a few more of these and I will offer them unpainted. I am making them in the black plastic only right now(I think it's better because you can leave the tires and the tabs unpainted). I am considering getting a few painted as well but I don't know yet. I will update this thread when I have more available. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

-Tom

3 weeks later
#83 6 years ago

FYI: I've been contacting and shipping unpainted ones to people that have already contacted me or said in this thread that they were interested. I have 4 of them being painted right now and will sell them to the people who have expressed interest. I will try to keep it in the first come first served basis. I've been doing most of this via PMs on here. I didn't originally design this to produce and sell, I just figured it would be a cool project. Thank you all for the interest!

-Tom

3 months later
#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Since this doesn't allow any light to show through like the original I suspect putting a spotlight (maybe right above the sewer hole near Spike) would really make it come alive. Very cool.
I was thinking of selling my JY but with this and the possible upgrade of the bus - I may have to hang on to it!

I did add a spotlight to mine but I will say the original clear doesn't have much light coming through because of the full sheet metal bracket right behind it.

A buddy of mine wanted to try to paint one of these and it came out really nice. He doesn't have a junk yard so we are selling it. Same price as before: $135 shipped in the US. First person to PM me gets it.
Thank you.

-Tom

IMG_2951 (resized).JPGIMG_2951 (resized).JPG

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Stripes:

Can anyone help me contact tjc02002? PM isn't working for me?

FYI: I replied to both of your PMs yesterday.

If you want it it's yours. Your the first to reply. Paypal me $135.

[email protected]

Also send me your shipping address.

Thank you,

-Tom

2 months later
#95 6 years ago

I had 4 more of these painted up to look like dirty cars and they are for sale. I also have some unpainted ones too. Including shipping in the US the painted ones are $135 and the unpainted are $70. Let me know if your interested.
-Tom

IMG_2402 (resized).JPGIMG_2402 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#97 6 years ago
Quoted from oldpinballer:

do you have anymore of these

Yes. I have 1 painted one and 1 unpainted ready to ship. PM me.

-Tom

4 months later
#106 6 years ago

PinballManiac - tell your friend great job on the painting! I really like the window effect with the straight lines!

Also for the record, I wont be distributing my 3D model files for this. I am mostly just interested in keeping my previous customers happy by doing my best to ensure there is no underselling of it. I will also never personally sell them individually for less. If someone wants to buy a few of them unpainted from me, I can cut them a small discount and they can paint them and sell them, just contact me if interested.

I do currently have a few of these UNpainted I could sell right now. I don't have any painted ones and I haven't really been making them lately but I can always make more. If anyone is interested in the UNpainted ones just PM me. If you want a fully painted one direct from me, you will have to wait till I get off my butt and send a few to my painter friend which could be any amount of time.

Thank you for the kind comments on my mod!!

-Tom

9 months later
#111 5 years ago

Hey guys. I haven't made any of these in a while and ran out a couple weeks ago so I don't have any available right now. I am probably going to make a few more of them soon.

-Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
PinSound

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-3d-cars-surround-mod?tu=tjc02002 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.