PXL_20210303_225125978 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225116540.NIGHT (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225030434 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225053797 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225039583 (resized).jpg
20210301_214101 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I have been trouble shooting my Jungle Queen that I received non-functional. I think I'm very close to getting it up and playing 100% as i can start a game but player 1 and 4 are light up and upon completion of the first ball the game is over. If I add two players then player 1 is lite and i can play 2 balls still only scoring on player 1 until game is over. I have been working through the schematic and checking switches on relays and i came across the BX relay looking like its locked on. Upon looking at it more it almost appears to me that someone was messing with it at one time and potentially put the switch stack back together the wrong way. In the picture i ensured the release relay plate was disengaged and you can see how all of the switches look like they have a ton of pressure on them so i know they need to be adjusted but was hoping to see if someone had a picture of a good function one that i can reference. Also if anyone is kind enough to think through my issue does it make sense that a locked on BX relay could cause my issue?

20210301_214101 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Some blades are in the wrong slots. First get the long blades in correctly-they should be pretty much straight up and down-then adjust the short blades. And is that outer most pair of lugs-just to the right of the blue wire-touching? Give 'em a straighten.

If you can get a second pair of hands to help with the blades/armature, it really helps. After getting them in correctly and adjusting, push the armature to check it.

A great reference: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#3 1 year ago

Here is a recent thread that talks about how these relays should be set up. This was for a different relay in a different machine, but the information applies to your situation. If you scroll down you will see a few postings and pics that should be helpful. Posting #12 in the thread talks about installing the switch stack on the relay.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-gottlieb-j-relay-aka-bonus-unit-score-relay-#post-5988448

You definitely need to get the BX relay straightened out before you try to troubleshoot the issue you are having.

- TimMe

#4 1 year ago

Thank you for the replies. Thanks currieddog for noticing the bent lugs i will check those out. I will try and see if i can find a slot for these that work better.

#5 1 year ago

So i spent some time looking at it last night trying to figure out which slot to move the blades into so they would be more straight but it didn't look like that was possible and yes i made sure the lock was disengaged. It seems to be like the stack was taken apart at one time and then put back together hap hazardly. I'm wondering if the number of insulators are off between blades or if all of the switches are even in the right orientation or on the bank (since there are 2 banks I'm sure there is a better word for this). I have been trying to coordinate all of the wires going to the different blades to confirm the orientation to ensure they should be open when BX is open and so forth but I'm having a tough time finding all of the wire colors on the schematic. If anyone had a BX relay from a Jungle Queen they could photograph for me the two banks I'd be really grateful.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from SWMurphy:

It seems to be like the stack was taken apart at one time and then put back together hap hazardly. I'm wondering if the number of insulators are off between blades or if all of the switches are even in the right orientation or on the bank

It can be deceptive because you have a mix of make switches, break switches (and a make/break on the right) ie-some switches will make contact when the coil is activated and some will break contact (open up). On the pic above, switches with the long blade on the right will break, and those with the long blade on the left will make when the coil is activated. The bakelite spacers look correct as is.

I am not certain on this one, but it is likely that the long blades will go in slots 2,4,6,8 here. Again, they should be pretty straight up and down.

#7 1 year ago

I had a similar issue with my JQ on a few of the relays... I'll take some pics of my BX relay tonight.

#8 1 year ago

I had similar issues with my Card Whiz a few weeks. Go to this site: pinrepair.com/em/ scroll down to part 3 and click on "E" which is: Video: Ax Relay and Reset Banks
This video will get you started on what needs to be working on your relay, they are finicky but listen to what Clay says and apply the repair as he directs.
It worked for my pin and now it is working at 100% no issues. Just remember, before adjusting make sure the stack switch screws are tight.

#9 1 year ago

Here are some pics of the BX relay in my JQ.. Definitely look at the link that gjm posted. Lots of good info on adjusting these relays. Definitely finicky.

PXL_20210303_225030434 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225039583 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225053797 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225116540.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225125978 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Here are some pics of the BX relay in my JQ.. Definitely look at the link that gjm posted. Lots of good info on adjusting these relays. Definitely finicky.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you SOOOO much that should be everything i need those are perfect!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from SWMurphy:

Thank you SOOOO much that should be everything i need those are perfect!

No problem.. I just went through a bunch of issues with my JQ.. Its still opened up.. Anything else, let me know.

#12 1 year ago

I moved a few switches based on your pictures and the cleaned and adjusted them, and Presto! Everything is working now. I couldn't help myself and played a few games even though I still have some bulbs out and that sort or thing to take care of. Thanks again for the help.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from SWMurphy:

I moved a few switches based on your pictures and the cleaned and adjusted them, and Presto! Everything is working now. I couldn't help myself and played a few games even though I still have some bulbs out and that sort or thing to take care of. Thanks again for the help.

Glad to help. Its a great feeling to get over that last hump. I just went through it as well. I spent a week just playing it after getting it running. My parts order will be here by the weekend so I get to pull things apart and give a good cleaning and bulbs this weekend.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The EM Scientist
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!