Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by legtod2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My JQ bonus advance works intermittently. Seems like it will work on the first ball off the first player/game but then will not advance thereafter. Any suggestions? Game plays well other than this
I did a search for "Jungle Queen bonus" with no luck
Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

You aren't giving us much information to work with. I would suspect the bonus unit - perhaps the max position switch is too close / closed so it thinks you've already maxed bonus and won't add more?

Also Check any relay that has anything to do with add bonus or anything like that.

#3 7 years ago

Sorry about lack of info. I'm new to the EM world.
On first player, first ball the bonus advances as it should Drop targets, A, B, and C all add bonus and bonus lights advance in playfield. After that...no go.
Start a new game and first ball for first player works as it should but then every other ball for all players does not advance the bonus. I'll dig into the schematic, but I'm not real familiar with them.

#4 7 years ago

Have you cleaned your stepper units? That's a pretty common issue...gummed up. Alcohol, fine sand rivets, alcohol, tiny bit of superlube on the now shiny rivets, make sure the rivets are lined up throughout making good contact etc

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveBuckholts:

Sorry about lack of info. I'm new to the EM world.
On first player, first ball the bonus advances as it should Drop targets, A, B, and C all add bonus and bonus lights advance in playfield. After that...no go.
Start a new game and first ball for first player works as it should but then every other ball for all players does not advance the bonus. I'll dig into the schematic, but I'm not real familiar with them.

Sounds like it could be a player unit issue - that's the big cam stepper unit in the back of the head. You need to inspect, clean and adjust switches there. Pretty big job for a newbie and you could really screw it up too - I'd bring in some help.

#6 7 years ago

I've been watching videos and reading upon cleaning the stepper units. I'm pretty confident that I can clean and lube them effectively by taking it slow. Good learning experience too. Need to pick up some superlube, I'll check with vendors here.
Updates when I jump on this job. Thanks guys!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveBuckholts:

I've been watching videos and reading upon cleaning the stepper units. I'm pretty confident that I can clean and lube them effectively by taking it slow. Good learning experience too. Need to pick up some superlube, I'll check with vendors here.
Updates when I jump on this job. Thanks guys!

The player unit isn't really a stepper issue - the stepper probably works fine if it's cycling balls.

it's the switches within the unit that are moved stack by stack by the camshaft that I would suspect.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The player unit isn't really a stepper issue - the stepper probably works fine if it's cycling balls.
it's the switches within the unit that are moved stack by stack by the camshaft that I would suspect.

Gotcha. I'll give those a once-over too. I just cleaned the playfield and replaced bands when I got the machine. It's time to do some deep cleaning/maintenance.
I appreciate the advice folks.

#9 7 years ago

I usually suspect the player unit switches when a game consistently misbehaves on one player/ball.

2 months later
#10 7 years ago

Okay, I raised the playfield to see what was happening.
Plug in machine, push start button, all resets as it should. First ball everything works as it should. Bonus advances and when ball drains bonus added.
Second ball, bonus doesn't advance. Seems that the decrement coil fires and themn the increment coil fires right after it. Kind of like a subtract one, then add one deal.
I am trying to learn to read the schematic, just not getting too versed very quickly.
I've seen the series relay activate and the bonus relay activate when bonuses should be added.
I have a video that I am uploading now. Country living is great until you're tryig to upload video!

#11 7 years ago

Finally.....

#12 7 years ago

Great video, thanks for posting. This is an unusual problem and a schematic would probably be a big help for this one. If it were me, I would trace the SUBTRACT BONUS UNIT coil circuit. I would be looking for some kind of cross-circuit fault. The most common source of these types of faults include:

- A three-bladed stand-up or drop-target switch has two of the blades touching all the time.
- A make-break switch on a relay has all three contacts touching all the time.
- The solder lugs of a relay switch stack or stepper unit are bent over, and lugs from different circuits are touching.
- A solder splash from an earlier repair has landed on a switch stack and is bridging switch blades of different circuits.

NOTE: The bonus unit subtract coil will always go quiet at zero because there is a cut-off switch on the unit at the zero position.

I suspect that the subtract problem may always be present after the first ball. You can check this by running up some bonus on the bonus unit by hand on the second ball, and then turning the score motor by hand counter-clockwise a few degrees until the run-out circuit catches and the motor runs by itself to the next home position. You may find that when you do this, the bonus unit subtracts as the motor runs, even though there are no scoring or other circuits active anywhere on the game.

If this is what happens, it can be helpful to you because then you can check your trouble-shooting on the fly. If you find what seems to be the problem, you can make an adjustment, run up a couple of bonus, nudge the score motor, and see if the bonus unit subtracts as the motor runs. As soon as the bonus unit stops subtracting, you've found the problem.

Since the problem starts with the 2nd ball, you may also want to look for any relays that trip or pull in when the player unit advances to the second ball. Also, as CrazyLevi suggested, check for the cross-connections on the switches of the player unit itself. And, check for switches on the score motor that are supposed to be open but are always closed.

- TimMe

#13 7 years ago

Dave, I should have also mentioned that, if the subtract bonus is always active starting with the second ball, it could be that the SUBTRACT BONUS UNIT circuit is just getting locked on (activated) at that point. This may be a simpler issue than the cross-connection problem that I described in post #12.

So if you find that the subtract bonus is always active, you may want to start by looking at all of the bonus control relays that control the SUBTRACT BONUS UNIT circuit, and see if there are any switches on those relays that are closed all the time.

- Tim

#14 7 years ago

Dude, you're awesome! I followed the bonus decrement coil on schematic but I'm learning/doing at the same time. What you suggested makes sense with what I understand.
I'm going to chase some more.
Like my great Uncle Roy said
"I don't understand all I know about this yet".

Dave

2 weeks later
#15 7 years ago

Okay, no headway made yet. Another video of what's happening.
Still trying to understand the schematics.

#16 7 years ago

I can post partials of the schematic if you need any. I don't have any assistance though in solving your dilema.

-=Fred=-

#17 7 years ago

Thanks Fred. I actually have the schematics and have been tracing and cleaning points and checking relays that I feel are involved, I just haven't totally grasped the "flow" and how to follow that when a certain relay does it's thing, where it affects something else happening. I have traced wires, checked that the points associated with those wires were cleaned and set correctly (opened/closed) with my volt/ohm meter.
I almost think it would be easier and faster to just take the playfield out completely, take the bottom part with score motor and all that out, and just start at one end and totally go through each relay/point setup. BUT, I am learning, albeit slowly, and when I get my Spirit of 76 and Hotline home I'll be ready to get them shopped and running well.

Thanks guys and gals!

#18 7 years ago

Should the first ball relay stay energized all the time? Mine is staying on and getting hot! Paper around coil is brittle. I haven't made any progress on the bonus issue but I did fix the chimes....loose ground wire.

#19 7 years ago

First ball relay should energize (be grounded to fire) by a switch on the 10 or 100 point relay in backbox. You may have a switch misadjusted causing constant ground.

#20 7 years ago

A valuable tip: anytime you have ANY coil locked on other than the coin lockout, hold or feature alternating coil (on bottom of playfield-controls alternating states of pops and features) turn the machine off and do not let it stay in the locked on state. It will melt a coil or worst burn wires before it pops a fuse (because some coils are made to stay energized). The coil will melt down to a shorted state (if it does not start a fire) and then pop the fuse.

#21 7 years ago

I watched your video and have a question. I do not hear any stepping of players unit, chimes or score reels. Is the machine playable, I mean cycling thru the players and balls, scoring on all switches (other than the bonus issue). Game may play well but does it play correctly.

#22 7 years ago

Dave, I just watched your second video and what I am seeing is that your bonus subtract circuit is always engaged after the first ball. One other suggestion to confirm this - on the second ball, you are adding a bunch of bonus manually and then hitting a 500 pt PF switch to run the score motor. Instead of hitting a playfield switch, try turning the cam of the score motor counter-clockwise a bit with your hand until the motor catches and runs to the next home position under its own power. I am betting you will find that the bonus subtract coil operates when the motor runs, even without hitting any playfield switches.

If you locate the bonus subtract coil on the schematic and trace the wiring back from there, you will see what switches control the power to the subtract coil. Carefully check these switches to see if there is a short, or a switch that is supposed to open but is staying closed.

Sorry I don't have a schematic to your game, so I can't offer any more specific advice than that.

- TimMe

#23 7 years ago

TimMe, i have done what you suggest and the bonus subtract fires the 5 times through the cycle of the score motor and then stops at the next home position, even if there is more bonus on machine. I have traced the subtract bonus coil on schematic and have looked at the associated switches and relays. Seem okay. I have been looking for where the add bonus and subtract bonus circuits may cross paths. ?
Frb, i havent looked in back box yet. I cant get it away from wall just yet. Broke a stupid rib a week ago.
The game plays just as it should other than this issue. The 1st ball relay coil turns on when the game is powered on and is energized until - I'm not certain -
I'll run through that scenario tonite.
Thanks guys, i'm narrowing the hunt slowly but surely (quit calling me "Shirley"), with your help and some dumb luck it'll get done.

#24 7 years ago

Thanks Dave. That sounds to me like the reset bonus circuit (the one for the start of a new game) is being activated during the game. I suggest you check the switches on the AX relay. Make sure the switches on this relay are adjusted properly, and that the switch contacts are opening when they should. Also be sure that there are no shorts at the switch blades or the switch solder lugs. It's a good idea to tighten down the switch stack screws before making adjustments to the switch blades.

- TimMe

#25 7 years ago

I'll check the AX relay today.
The first ball relay works like it should, I believe. If no points are scored on first ball you get to shoot again. That happens. If you get points then it kicks off. Could the coil be worn to a point of getting hotter than normal and still function?
I'll run through the bonus reset circuit. That makes sense and something I havent looked at in detail. Now that I'm thinking about that, when the game is completely reset(new game) the bonus works.
So, is there something that gets reset during a complete reset that isn't getting reset during a reset for the next ball or next player?? Hmmm, sounds like a possibility but I dont know if that's the way the machine works.
Fun times!!

#26 7 years ago

Dave, what I'm thinking is that the reset circuit for the bonus may be downstream from the player unit cam 5 (P5) switch that opens to stop the reset of the player unit once the player unit hits ball 1 player 1. If my speculation is correct, that P5 switch opening would disable the bonus reset during the first ball. When the game advances to ball 2, that P5 switch would close again and that would allow the bonus reset to be enabled. If another enabling switch for the bonus reset (most likely on the AX relay) were making contact all the time, then you would get the symptoms you are seeing.

- TimMe

8 months later
#27 6 years ago

Dave,

Did you ever get this resolved. I am having identical issue on my Jungle Queen unit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-queen-bonus-issue?hl=davebuckholts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.