Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jq (resized).jpg
drop target (resized).jpg
JQ P relay (resized).jpg
PXL_20210323_205044473~2 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So this game has finally been playing well. Still have some intermittent issues to work out.. Now, I get one or both of the drop target banks not resetting after a ball drain. The solenoid does fire quickly but not long enough to reset the banks. I made an adjustment to the reset coil mounting bracket to give a bit more travel. That helped but it still happens once in awhile. Looking at the schematic, it looks like these reset coils are before the transformer? What triggers the reset then after each ball?

PXL_20210323_205044473~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210323_205044473~2 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

"P" - moving on to the next player and/or ball

#3 3 years ago

What DaMoib said. Also, clean and adjust the motor 2C switch with the large contact points. That switch needs to close and make good solid contact in order for the drop target reset coils to have a good solid kick.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

you can also have too much pressure applied against that long switch which will occasionally prevent the targets from snapping up and into place

#5 3 years ago

Thanks.. I'll check the P and motor 2C. It looks like the reset is happening too fast. The targets start to move and don't always pop back up. I did pull both drop target banks apart and gave them a good cleaning. Someone though it was a good idea to spray everything with a spray grease. I'll check the long switches but I think they are set up pretty well.

#6 3 years ago

Here's another suggestion. I'm not sure if it applies to your game (I don't have a schematic) but I've seen this on some games, so it's something you may want to check.

On some GTB games, the scoring switches on each of the drop targets need to have a pretty big gap or you can get a faulty target reset. What happens is that as the reset bar starts to raise the targets, the scoring finger of a target closes its scoring switch immediately, which actuates the relevant score relay (say, 500 points) and that scoring relay has a switch on it that disables the bank reset, which in your case I imagine would cause the P relay to drop out immediately, thus cutting off the reset pulse too soon.

If you are having this issue, you'll see the P relay drop out very early as the target bank starts to reset. The P relay should stay pulled in for most of the motor cycle. There may be some other problem causing the P relay to drop out early, other than the drop-target scoring being triggered on reset, but if you watch the P relay and it is dropping out too early, then at least you'll know to look for what is causing that problem.

- TimMe

#7 3 years ago

On this machine, it looks like the trough switch fires P, the motor starts, target banks are reset on motor 2C, then the sequence bank (ABC lights/lanes) is reset on motor 4B and the P hold is cleared on motor 2B. Also the drop target scoring is inhibited by motor 1C.

Note: if the sequence bank is reset (ABC lights turn back on), P has held through the target bank reset.

JQ P relay (resized).jpgJQ P relay (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

Thanks for the schematic snippet @DaMoib! You are right, the P relay has a straight-forward circuit on this game, so my suggestion in post #6 would not apply here.

In addition to what you pointed out about the sequence bank reset, if the P relay lock-in was failing and the P relay was dropping out too early, you'd also be seeing an issue with the player unit not advancing properly to the next player/ball in play.

- TimMe

#9 3 years ago

Make sure you ain't adjusting anything directly inline with the bank coils' power circuit with the game on - - 120v!

What is the 'U' relay labeled as in the schematic? Just wondering.
Do the banks ever have a hiccup resetting at game start, or is that always solid?

#10 3 years ago

The U relay is the 1st Ball Relay...

#11 3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get back into it this weekend. I have no trouble resetting on a new game. The issue has always happened during ball advance. Its hard to follow relays as it only happens 1 out of maybe 10 games - and it may happen for 2 balls, then back to full reset without issue. The ABC does reset fine after each ball so P does appear to be in long enough. I do have an intermittent scoring issue with 1 drop target on the left bank, so I was thinking about TimMe post #6 making sense, but doesn't seem to apply here. Looks like I'll start at the score motor. I went through all when I first got the machine running. I also put a towel down over the bottom relays whenever I'm doing work on the playfield so I don't drop anything into a relay. Sometimes the towel gets caught and may have bumped a contact.

#12 3 years ago

Seems like motor 2C is okay since the targets reset 100% thru it on game starts thru S switch, and P relay looks to be holding in okay with the sequence bank resetting 100%, so maybe that switch in P in the first schematic photo that powers the target reset coils needs filing and/or adjustment? Or same with the aforementioned motor 4B.

#13 3 years ago

So I cleaned and checked the P relay as well as the score motor 2 contacts. Nothing seemed out of wack. I put it back together and started to play a game. I got into the 2nd ball, it hit the kickout hole and the power went out. The timing couldn't have been much better as the ball stopped in the hole. When it came back on, I played another few games. The same issue happened. This time, at the reset for a new game they did not reset. I cycled the power and they reset for a new game. Thats when I stopped for the night. I'm going to check motor 4 contacts again. I may put a dab of grease on the back of the switches of this bank and see if that helps.

#14 3 years ago

Could you describe the behavior a little more?

On each failure:
Do ALL targets in a bank fail to come up, or only a few, or one? If a few, is it near the end of the reset arm (opposite the solenoid)? Is it the same behavior on each bank independently, i.e. sometimes one, or the other, less frequently both?

When you cleaned the mech, did you notice any target shavings laying around?

After you cleaned the mech and adjusted the travel of the solenoid, you still had the same behavior, just less frequently? *Already answered - Yes

#15 3 years ago

All targets that are down, fail to reset. I don't think the arm is completing its travel. It seems to happen on the end of ball 2 and 3 more often, but does happen on others. I've really only been playing 1 player at this point. When it happens, it does affect both banks. The crazy part is that I can play 5 games and it works fine. I put new sleeves on both coils. As for shavings, its possible, but hard to tell. Both banks were filthy, but then again, the entire game was filthy. Someone along the way did spray some grey lube on the whole assembly, so this may have been a long time problem. Tomorrow I'm going to try to make it happen and see if I can see something. While I was cleaning and looking at the motor 2 switches, there is one heavy duty contact that my flexstone didn't touch.. I'm going to use a file as the contacts are blackened.

#16 3 years ago

I went through the motor switches and everything looks good. I played around with the target banks a bit and didn't see a whole lot I don't think. A few questions about the target banks..

1. What is the proper way to adjust the reset bank coil bracket? The 4 mounting screws are slotted. By moving the coil further away, in my mind was allowing the reset arm to travel further. Thats what I did originally when the issue started. Today, I moved the bracket closer, which allows the plunger to be further into the coil when its energized.

2. Do the switches for the lights need to be touching the cam when its reset or as long as it trips the switch as the target is dropping is that good enough? Right now the lower switch arm is always in contact with the cam. The targets drop fine and I would think the reset coil would be strong enough to overcome a bit of pressure from the switch.

I had the machine apart today and tested it a whole bunch of times, tripping the targets and watching them reset. This with the playfield up, triggering the ball drain, trough switch and then random target. At the game over, I was able to trip the trough switch and actuate the drop targets and reset loop.. When I was confident it was working, I put it all back together and played 4 games without issue. The 5th game, it happened again. For 2 balls, it wouldn't reset. On the start of a new game, it still didn't reset. I played ball 1 and advancing to ball 2, it reset fine.

drop target (resized).jpgdrop target (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

Do I also see wear/notching from the reset arm on some (all?) of those triggers (the pivot arm that fits into the target slot and activates the switch)? I believe paulace might have some experience with that...

Update: never mind, talked with Paul... his wear was much worse, doubts that these knicks would affect operation

#18 3 years ago

Normal for the switch actuator blade to be touching the cam at top and bottom.

I adjust the 5-banks on my Fast Draw so that when I slowly push the plunger in with my finger, they all lock in *just* when the plunger bottoms out. Might have a straggler target that doesn't stay up doing this test, but it will in operation. Or give the plunger a relatively weak shove into the coil instead, they should all reset. At that setting mine *never* fail. You don't need nor want to set the stroke more than that or it could start breaking off the nubs on the bottom of the targets.

If you pass these tests and still have most of or the entire bank not resetting during a game then the problem isn't the plunger stroke. Probably still a dirty/worn/misadjusted switch somewhere.

#19 3 years ago

Make sure the two motor switches that the target bank coils go thru have been filed, and gapped for proper closure time. If they look like they have plenty of gap, try adjusting them to reduce it a little and see if any change. Those are the final switches that determine how long the coils fire. That's if your problem is they are always firing but sometimes just long enough.

#20 3 years ago

There is a slight wear on the cam arm, but didn't feel like enough to cause a drag. I did notice that when I was adjusting the coil stroke, if I had the mount twisted slightly, it would drag. I was able to align so it moved with little effort and no friction. I did change the coil sleeve, but not the plunger. I'm going to take a look at that again. I'm also going to tighten up on the motor contact gaps a bit..

#21 3 years ago

I’m mostly repeating what others have told you, but here’s my summary of drop target reset stuff.

First, when adjusting the reset solenoids, it’s a balance between too much travel, where you hear the loud buzz, and too little, where targets get left down. Make sure you do the adjustment by holding the plunger, not the reset bar. You want it to travel far enough to reset the targets, and hit the coil stop. This accounts for the slop in the linkage and wear on the target levers. If you go a little too far, the reset bar bottoms out before the coil stop and you hear a buzz. I like it quiet, but I always err on the side of making sure all targets reset.

Second the reset duration is dependent on the score motor switches. As you mentioned, make sure they are gapped close and are clean and parallel. It also doesn’t hurt to make sure the playfield Jones plugs are clean because the 125v reset voltage is going through there too.

I have confidence that you’ll get it. I have two of these machines and they both reset fine

Good luck,
Dave

#22 3 years ago

I will definitely win. I have to as I just picked up a Target Alpha as my next project and my wheels are already spinning on that one I'll go through the Jones plugs again as well. Thats one area I did an OK job on, but lost some patience while working on it.

As for adjusting the reset coil, I may have been using the bar and not the plunger. I'll play with that again tonight as well. By using the arm, I was looking for travel and friction on the arm, not thinking about the play in the linkage.

#23 3 years ago

I think I've got it. I readjusted the reset coil, by quite a bit. There is a lot of slop in the linkage. Probably should change the connector piece at some point. When I actuated the arm where I had it set, it would reset if I pushed the arm, but not the plunger. I had to extend it quite a bit to get it to reset all targets. The one opposite the reset coil gave me the most trouble to get consistent. I just played 5 games and didn't hiccup. I'm not calling it done yet though. I think this game will loosen up after its played. I don't think its been played in a very long time and wasn't stored well.

#24 3 years ago

I think its good.. Played probably 20 or so games and didn't skip a beat.. Thanks for everyone's help. Here is a pic of what I just brought back from the dead. Game play is great. Cosmetically, its rough.. I did throw a Thrillhouse Beehive pinball playshield protector on it and it plays nice and smooth.

jq (resized).jpgjq (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-queen-another-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.