View topic image gallery

IMG_2828 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2827 (resized).jpeg
#1 11 months ago

Hi

I'm trying to fix sound in a Jungle Lord - williams sys 7 -
Speak are missing in the game.

Diagnostics menu plays sounds 0-4.
And when pressing the test button, all sounds and speaks are played.
Also tried to ground the sound select header pins one by one and sounds are played. (guess test menu does about the same)

Dont know exacly how its supposed to sound
But when I start a game, I get something like Fight ....... and nothing more.
In game allmost no speak are said - think some roaring and you win.
Background sounds are normal I think.

I have replaced the ic10 pia from the sound board, but thats not it.

Any idea what to test - I have a scope.

Regards

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from mr-zed:

Diagnostics menu plays sounds 0-4.
And when pressing the test button, all sounds and speaks are played.
Also tried to ground the sound select header pins one by one and sounds are played. (guess test menu does about the same)

Sounds like the sound board is good.

Quoted from mr-zed:

I have replaced the ic10 pia from the sound board, but thats not it.

Why? If the sound board makes all the sounds when you test it, then likely it's not a problem on the sound board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_3_-_7#Testing_for_a_Sound_Board_fault

"Before starting to repair a Williams sound card, first determine that there is actually have a sound board problem! Do the sounds work correctly from the sound board 'self test' by pressing the diagnostic button?"

Quoted from mr-zed:

Any idea what to test

Look at the schematics and read the Pinwiki. Focus efforts on where the sound triggers are coming from... Driver board? Also check connectors pins, headers, and wires.

#3 11 months ago

I think I can help.
Check your dip switches on the sound board.
Try closing #2.
Also, you do have at least some speech. Bear in mind that there isn’t that much speech in total. There are long stretches with none of it. I have a JL and the speech eluded me until an expert tech suggested I close #2, but I had NO speech while you have some.

#4 11 months ago

I think that leaves the MPU PIA or connectors between the two boards if grounding the SB input headers gives all the sounds.

In sound test check for the MPU PIA signal and trace it to the 4050 input chips on the sound board.

#5 11 months ago

Why? If the sound board makes all the sounds when you test it, then likely it's not a problem on the sound board.

Well - I mounted the soundboard from my Black Knight in the JL and when starting the game, I got a lot of BK speak, so I thought that the sounds are triggered correct from driverboard.
Also tried the JL soundboard in BK and still not much sound.

btw
The soundboard in the jungle lord is a mess - a previous owner has resoldered all (I mean all) solderpoints and used way to much solder and even installed all roms etc direct in the sound and speak board without sockets! (omg)
So I cant swap roms and test for sure that the problem is soundboard or driver.

(Luckily the guy didnt touch the other boards in the game

Meanwhile I did some more testing!
programmed a new eprom for the sound board and tested the BK soundboard in the JL with the JL speakboard - still only "fight.." and "Can.." when I start a new game - apparently the soundboard is not it.

Then I installed the BK soundboard with JL rom and JL speakboard in my black knight with JL gameroms.(Easier than removing mpu and driver boards - did remove coil connectors)
Still the same.
Guess that means that the driverboard is not it and that the speakboard is probably the gulity one.

Next step is to try the BK speakboard with JL speakroms, but I cant program 2532 and the original are soldered direct into the board.
I'll can make some 2532 to 2732 adapters and try that.

I'll get back

#6 11 months ago

Can you fight in jungle

Well got some 2732 speech eproms made and 2532-2732 adapters.

Now I have JL speech with the bk boards.

Problem is the speech board.
Never would have thought when the sounds plays at the soundtest button.

I might spend a little looking while trying to fix it. (just for curiosity and learning)
But the board is quite hacked with traces fixes etc and I just got a good offer for a used soundboard + speechboard, so I guess I'll do that and keep my boards clean.

Regards

#7 11 months ago

This is what Im talking about

IMG_2827 (resized).jpegIMG_2827 (resized).jpegIMG_2828 (resized).jpegIMG_2828 (resized).jpeg
#8 11 months ago

What a mess . Maybe time to find another one . Anything can be fixed but at what cost.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from chickfisher68:

What a mess . Maybe time to find another one . Anything can be fixed but at what cost.

Yeah - some of the worst I have seen!

I have just bought another soundboard/speechboard from a nice guy in germany!

Even if its allmost working Ill rather get a new one so I dont have to look at it
Will probably try to fix it later today - allways nice to have working bords to test with

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from mr-zed:

Problem is the speech board.
Never would have thought when the sounds plays at the soundtest button.

I can't make any sense out of that.

Your board works when tested, so maybe it's something very minor. And it may just look a lot worse than it is. Take some flux and solder-wick and just remove all the excess solder from the solder blobs... then re-access situation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-lord-sys-7-missing-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.