Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

System-7_Switches.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello, I think I've troubleshot as much as I can without asking for some advice. I have a Jungle Lord with a Rottendog MPU. When I fire a ball, all of the switches on the #3 wht-ORN Row fire. I've replaced all the diodes on that row, but the problem persists. I have tested for short and can't find any. I am not sure where to look next. Any advice would be welcome!

#2 8 years ago

Pull the row and column connectors off the board and run a simulated test of each switch. Use a jumper wire to connect between pins on the board. It might be a problem on the board and not on the playfield. If everything works right with the playfield switch wiring disconnected, you can at least rule the board out.

1 week later
#3 8 years ago

I tested as you suggested and it is definitely a board problem. I guess I will try to get a replacement or maybe talk to the dude who made the board.

#4 8 years ago

Jim from Rottendog was very helpful to me just recently in diagnosing and fixing a sort of similar issue. In my case it was a blown chip that could be replaced very cheaply. Jim could not have been nicer or more helpful.

#5 8 years ago

Hi all , I'm not to electronically inclined so I really can use some help . I have a chapion pub machine when I hit the ball up the middle at the heavy bag it only works intermittently. I checked all the wires and connections I think everything looks good.
When I go into the test menu and I do a single switch test, the switch does not close. The switch matrix in the manual looks different then the switch matrix in the game.
There are a lot of switches that are closed that are supposed to be open and vice versa. When I traced The wire back to the CPU board I noticed that it was plugged into the wrong socket. It was supposed to be plugged into J206 but it was plugged into J207. In the manual it says J207 not used I'm not sure if this could have damaged the board. Thanks for your help image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Pizza-Bob:

Hi all , I'm not to electronically inclined so I really can use some help .

Hi Bob!
You might have better luck getting some help by starting a new thread in the modern games tech subforum with something like "Champion Pub switch matrix problems" in the title. People who know about that stuff probably won't be looking here.

Hope you get your game working correctly again.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks I'm going to do that.

1 week later
#8 8 years ago

Just to close the thread, I called the company I bought the board from, K's Arcade, and spoke to a man there who indicated he had seen this problem before (I can not remember his name). He advised me to replace chip U17 on the board. The chip is a 74HCT9114N and they sold it on their website. I replaced the chip and it all works 100%, so thanks to the man at K's Arcade for helping me out.

Just as a side note, I can not for the life of me find the chip U17 on the MPU327 schematic, so there's a likelihood I would not have been able to diagnose this given an infinite amount of time.

#9 8 years ago

Glad to hear you are back up and running!
That's the exact same repair that Jim from Rottendog helped me figure out. Also bought the replacement chip from K's.

Apparently that chip can blow if lamp or solenoid voltage gets into the switch matrix. If you have a short somewhere between the different wire systems, it may blow that chip again.

#10 8 years ago

A 74HCT.... can't handle enough current to support this function.
Here is a shameless copy from a posting on Google Groups by Ed from G.P.E.:
"Predriver for transistors... you don't want LS, HC or HCT. These have high output current requirements -when used as a predriver-.
You want to use a 74xx, 74Fxx, 74Sxx or 74ASxx. 74Fxx and 74Sxx tend to be easiest to find.
74Fxx and 74Sxx tend to be nearly identical to each other."

Here is a small copy from the schematic.
U17 isn't on the CPU, but on the driver board in the switch section.
System-7_Switches.jpgSystem-7_Switches.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-lord-switch-matrix-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.