2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PINTEC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Newbie on electronic repair here, so I will apologize in advance for my ignorance.

I have a Jungle Lord that has been in storage a few years. I put in brand new pinpcb MPU, Driver and power supply board. Game won't boot and has a error code 9.

From my research it states that a code 9 "Coin-door closed, memory protect circuit faulty, or IC19 CMOS RAM Faulty". I guess I am assuming the memory protect circuit and CMOS RAM is okay, since these are brand new from pinpcb. It then tells me to check for coin door closed (or pin 1J4-1 or 1J3-1 is being grounded).

My question is how do I check these two things?
    How do I confirm a pin is being grounded?
    How do I check that coin door is closed? I know I can check the coin door by closing it, and I have, but is there wiring that could be bad telling the game its open?

#2 2 years ago

Well for one you need a tool, a multi meter. There is a function called a continuity test which is used to test if a piece of metal can carry a current to where it's supposed to be. You use that tool, by placing one probe on a known ground of your board and the other probe at the pin of the connector and if current can actually flow from one prove to the other, the meter will display on screen and/or beep telling you current is indeed flowing through.

By placing one probe on the ground plane and the other on the pin of the connector, you are looking to see if that pin is indeed connected to the ground plane. The MPU board is monitoring that pin and expects to find that pin connected to ground for it to continue.

Beyond that, to really understand more you need to start reading on the various guides on pinballs, or specifically basic electric principles either here on elsewhere on the net to really learn more. The first thing to really grasp is that metal carries electricity and a continuity tester is meant to test if this metal (wire, switch or other similar device) is able to carry that electricity by sending a voltage in one probe and expecting to see that voltage, or at least part of it, return to the other probe.

It could be possible, like you said, that switch in your coin door is broken, and even when closed the electricity cannot flow from one pin to the other (you test the continuity between both sides of a switch) and so the board doesn't find the ground it is looking for and is halting the boot sequence as a protection not to send high voltage to the playfield, because the door is open (and someone might have his hands in there).

Get a multimeter, read up on basic electricity, testing wires and switches and then you'll be one step closer to fixing your machine.

Once you can test whether or not those pins are grounded then you can figure out which side to test further. If the pins are grounded correctly , then the board as issues (maybe it also needs something else that it isn't mentioning). If the pins aren't grounded, then you have to investigate further on why they aren't when they should be. Could be as silly a switch with a wire connected to the wrong pin. Could be a severed wire beyond the switch of the coin door. It could be that even though you close the coin door, the switch isn't properly pressed in. It could also be that you didn't close the coin door and I wrote all this for nothing?

Get a meter! If this machine is yours, you will need that tool often.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from bridgeman:

Newbie on electronic repair here, so I will apologize in advance for my ignorance.
    I have a Jungle Lord that has been in storage a few years. I put in brand new pinpcb MPU, Driver and power supply board. Game won't boot and has a error code 9.
    From my research it states that a code 9 "Coin-door closed, memory protect circuit faulty, or IC19 CMOS RAM Faulty". I guess I am assuming the memory protect circuit and CMOS RAM is okay, since these are brand new from pinpcb. It then tells me to check for coin door closed (or pin 1J4-1 or 1J3-1 is being grounded).
    My question is how do I check these two things?
    How do I confirm a pin is being grounded?
    How do I check that coin door is closed? I know I can check the coin door by closing it, and I have, but is there wiring that could be bad telling the game its open?

Memory protect "error"

Leave the coin door OPEN

Turn game on then off and on rapidly game will boot next depress diagnostic should be ok no errors
    Error code 9 will re appear when door is closed which actually means memory protect is functioning ok
    It's when the coin door is open and there is a 9 that means there is an actual memory protect fault because it's stuck

also if there is a short in the wiring disconnect the 4 wire connector from the cpu that goes to the diagnostic switches This will simulate a OPEN coin door signal

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-lord-error-code-9?hl=pintec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.