• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Psutron
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello,

I am new to solid state pinball repair. I've brought a few EMs back to life but I am finding that SS is a different ballgame. I acquired a Jungle Lord about a year ago and one evening while the machine was on I heard a pop and came to find some smoke around the machine. The coil on the right side 3-bank drop target had burned.

To start the repair I replaced the coil and after turning the machine on found that the drop target would not reset. After reading some posts I came to the conclusion that I likely burned out a component on the board. Wanting to get my game back up and running I decided to install a Rottendog and deal with the board repair later, keeping the original board as a spare.

After powering up with the Rottendog in place, the right drop target still does not reset. The coil tests ok in terms of ohms and all of the fuses that I could find under the playfield and in the backbox are good. Everything else on the game is working fine.

So I'm reaching out to the experts to help point out my rookie mistakes. The old difference I see between the original coil and the replacement is that the diode is on the bottom on the original and on the top in the replacement. Could the diode direction be switched and I didn't realize it? If I wired the coil backwards and it has a diode could it cause the coil not to fire?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 8 years ago

I have a project jungle lord with a rottendog board in it. I haven't been able to get it to play right, I'm not sure if it's the board or another issue. I hope someone can help you out.

#3 8 years ago

Rottendog and my Jungle Lord didn't work well together either, but in that case the game was buggy for a short while and then just wouldn't boot at all, so I don't think your issue is the board in this case.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, still rookie here, but:

I think a backwards diode would definitely cause your coil not to work. My understanding of coils (could be wrong) is that both ends are supplied voltage. So there's no difference in voltage and therefore no electromagnetic activity. When a coil is to fire, one end is grounded and now there is a voltage difference. If a diode were pointing the wrong way, it would allow both ends to remain at the same voltage, therefore the coil would not fire.

Another possibility is that the mechanisms are gummed up with grease and dirt. I had target banks that would not reset in my Taxi that I disassembled and cleaned and now they are perfect. I even have one in my JL that I plan to do this to this weekend.

What happens if you manually reset the bank and then manually hit the targets. Do they drop quickly into place, or do they move slowly and resist dropping?

#4 8 years ago

Have you checked for voltage on the coil?

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I did not check for voltage. The coil would only get voltage for a moment when the targets try to reset right? The targets drop easily when touched so I don't think there is anything preventing motion. I'll reverse the wiring and report back.

#6 8 years ago

Is this a rottendog MPU you installed? Because it sounds like you need to replace the transistor on the driver board that is connected to that coil.
If you don't know how to repair it, send to a qualified board guy.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Psutron:

The coil would only get voltage for a moment when the targets try to reset right?

In pinball machines there is power on the coils any time the power switch is on.

Quoted from Psutron:I'll reverse the wiring and report back.

This is not a good idea unless you know for sure it's wrong!

#8 8 years ago

This is not an EM. Don't treat it like one or decide to make up your own troubleshooting techniques. There is plenty of information out there on how to fix these. Try Pinwiki.

3 months later
#9 7 years ago

Just wanted to update this thread with the resolution in the event that anyone encounters this problem in the future.

I invited Bill from the Pinball Gallery in Malvern PA to my home to diagnose the issue. As it turns out, my suspicion was correct about the backwards coil wiring. We switched the wires and the coil powered up. We did find however that it was now locked on. Bill suspected a board issue at this point (which I may have caused with my backwards wiring) so we replaced the Rottendog with the origional boards and all is fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-lord-drop-target-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.