(Topic ID: 199814)

Jungle Lord display board resoldered, now fuse F1 pops everytime.

By Luzur

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Luzur
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180121_225648 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171112_145225 (resized).jpg
IMG_2502 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Yo!

So, i got my Jungle Lord working thanks to a new Rottendog MPU board (the old board seemed permanently doomed, nothing i did fixed it... ), although the displays just showed a few numbers (80 and 8 on player 2 and 4) it all worked (see pic).

Well, zoom back to last sunday, and i was cruising around pinside and saw a thread about system 7 displayproblem, so i thought i should try and reflow solder on the display master board, so i did, and well...

Now the fuse F1 (0.25 A SB) on the PS board pops everytime i start the game, AND the sound+ speech is just gone.

Checked the other fuses and they seems ok.

Now, the PS baord have some hacks done to it on the lower right contact, and is abit wonky with being touched, but i did a cap rework on it with a kit, and it gives out the right kind of volts, but i am atm contemplating on just buying a new display board (and maybe a PS board aswell, maybe a WDP3211A?) since i dont even know where to begin checking on my old displayboard, ive gone through it like 2 times with bright light and magnifying glass and i cant find anything that can be shorting on it, and ive checked the chips on it by measuring the legs on all of them with the help of a guide i found.

Can it be the displays themselves? some diode on the display board? something with the PS board?

So, any tips or hints or just a regular guide? im no electrical genius but i can solder (or could atleast, before i killed this board then, somehow...) rest of the game works, you can start a game and play etc.

IMG_2502 (resized).JPGIMG_2502 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I would start by disconnecting the displays and seeing if the power supply fuse still pops. If not, do you have another machine with the same display master controller? You might want to consider a new display set from rottendog or pin score. By the time you buy a good master controller you will be 1/2 the cost of a whole new set that will be good for years.

#3 6 years ago

Have you checked that you didn't bridge any of the connections when you soldered it?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I would start by disconnecting the displays and seeing if the power supply fuse still pops. If not, do you have another machine with the same display master controller? You might want to consider a new display set from rottendog or pin score. By the time you buy a good master controller you will be 1/2 the cost of a whole new set that will be good for years.

I ran out of 0.25A fuses so i gotta get some more of those before i can test further, and i dont have any other system 7 game, sadly. A friend of mine had a Black Knight but it was sold half a year before i got JL. And yeah, i already got a Rottendog MPU327 in it, since the old MPU board refused to work even though i swapped out a whole load of chips and diods and whatnot.

Quoted from zacaj:

Have you checked that you didn't bridge any of the connections when you soldered it?

I've gone through the entire board with magnifying glass and LED flashlight, i cant see any kind of short with my eyes atleast, and all i did was reheat all the soldering on the backside of it.

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

Make sure the 1/4 Amp fuses are indeed slow blow.
I just nuked a few fast fuses before I realised I had labeled them up wrong.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Moonbus:

Make sure the 1/4 Amp fuses are indeed slow blow.
I just nuked a few fast fuses before I realised I had labeled them up wrong.

I had 4 of them in my bag that was def. slo-blo, so it cant be the fuses.

Im waiting for my salary now so i can buy new boards, im not a trained electrician, just know some basic stuff, so i dont really know where to even start error searching on these old boards so im going the "easy way" out.

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

Update: Got hold of a replacement displayboard, and borrowed a refurbished PSU board from a friend for checking, and still no go, displays show the same as in the first pic, and the sound doesnt play at all no more.

I am at my wits end here, been prodding this game for over a year now, changing boards, soldering etc and i cant get by that dan displaything error, all the voltages checks out AFAIK, ive measured them all.

And as i said on top of that i now have no sound either, which worked just fine before.

huuuurrrrrrggg

#8 6 years ago

You might have a shorted display.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

You might have a shorted display.

Yeah, those are about the only stuff i havent switched out yet

Also, i found the problem with the sound, seems like the cable down to the volumepot and the pot itself are shot, i can now hear the sounds, but very, very low, even after i sprayed cleaner inside the pot and swiveled it around.

Gonna have to change the cable to a new one and find a new pot aswell.

Here's what the displays show anyway, in case someone recognize it (and yes i have switched around the flatcables and displays, no go):

IMG_20171112_145225 (resized).jpgIMG_20171112_145225 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

I would try unplugging all the cables to the 4 displays from the displays themselves and then use the player 2 cable to test the players 1 and 3 displays.
Then use the player 4 cable to do the same.
You should then be able to figure out if it is a display or connector/cable that may be at fault.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Moonbus:

I would try unplugging all the cables to the 4 displays from the displays themselves and then use the player 2 cable to test the players 1 and 3 displays.
Then use the player 4 cable to do the same.
You should then be able to figure out if it is a display or connector/cable that may be at fault.

I will try that, but it seems to be a "stuck" problem, even when i juggled around the displays and flatcables only player 2 and 4 worked, nothing changed.

#12 6 years ago

On your display issue check conection 1J5 (Master Display BCD Outputs) on the MPU I have seen cracked solder joints do what you are showing. I know you have a new MPU but double check the back side of it and you may need to re do the connector to it (the female side).

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

On your display issue check conection 1J5 (Master Display BCD Outputs) on the MPU I have seen cracked solder joints do what you are showing. I know you have a new MPU but double check the back side of it and you may need to re do the connector to it (the female side).

Hmm, never thought the Rottendog board might have problems, but its worth a check, thanks!

1 month later
#14 6 years ago

Well update, checked Rottendog mpu contacts, no bad solder, cleaned and scrubbed every connector that had anything to do with Displays + i prodded them abit so the make better connections on the 1J2-1J7 pins on the MPU, ive borrowed a serviced, working system 7 PSU (Barracora) from a friend and installed it, i got the Rottendog MPU re-installed again (to check if i made some setup mistake when installing it the first time), i bought new Xpin display + displayboard + new ribboncables, checked the voltages (they seem just fine) and i signal checked every cables between the displayboard connectors and MPU board so they have good continuity.

And still, this is what the game gives me:

IMG_20180121_225648 (resized).jpgIMG_20180121_225648 (resized).jpg

I..i dunno anymore, this goes beyond my hobbyist knowledge now, is this some weird blanking thing? with a new Rottendog board? can it be the big cap in the backbox that cant hold voltage during pressure?? Every board have been swapped now, and i cant get past this what ever i do it seems, nor can i find any guide that explains this to me nor anyone who seems to have had the same problem either and got it solved, I was planning on keeping this game for awhile if i got it to work, but after todays result, i felt the fun of problemsolving just melt away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jungle-lord-display-board-resoldered-now-fuse-f1-pops-everytime?hl=moonbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.