You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.18.20 PM (resized).png
IMG_2542 (resized).JPG
IMG_2540 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have two weird things happening with solenoids on my machine. One, occasionally the solenoid which pushes the balls from the trough will just bounce up and down slightly while playing the game. It makes a noise because it is moving a chambered ball, but otherwise it is not applying enough power to get it into the shooter lane.

Secondly, I have a kicker that pops balls from the subway under the playfield and back into play. About 5% of the time, it will take 2-3 fires before it can push the ball up and out.

Do I have bad solenoids or a wiring problem? Can anyone talk me through how I might diagnose something like this?

IMG_2540 (resized).JPGIMG_2540 (resized).JPG

IMG_2542 (resized).JPGIMG_2542 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Secondly, I have a kicker that pops balls from the subway under the playfield and back into play. About 5% of the time, it will take 2-3 fires before it can push the ball up and out.

Check that the optos are clean. Check that the coil sleeve isn't worn or cracked. Check the plunger to see if it's the right one, and not worn on the part that hits the ball. And the ball is getting a good hit, not a glancing blow if things aren't lined up.

Quoted from Aniraf:

One, occasionally the solenoid which pushes the balls from the trough will just bounce up and down slightly while playing the game. It makes a noise because it is moving a chambered ball, but otherwise it is not applying enough power to get it into the shooter lane.

I'd suspect a switch issue - or switch matrix issue. Go into switch test, bang on the playfield - adjust anything that registers from vibration. Then I'd check switches and wiring for intermittent shorts that could pulse the switch matrix briefly and cause the ball trough VUK to start to fire.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check that the optos are clean. Check that the coil sleeve isn't worn or cracked. Check the plunger to see if it's the right one, and not worn on the part that hits the ball. And the ball is getting a good hit, not a glancing blow if things aren't lined up.

I disassembled this coil and cleaned everything. I don't see anything wrong with the coil sleeve or other parts. I really don't see any way for this thing to give a glancing blow to the ball because it's all enclosed and aligned for you. I can't see any evidence that the ball is making contact with the plywood of the table either. The ball popper issue is just weird to me :/. I attached a picture of that assembly.

Quoted from LTG:

I'd suspect a switch issue - or switch matrix issue. Go into switch test, bang on the playfield - adjust anything that registers from vibration. Then I'd check switches and wiring for intermittent shorts that could pulse the switch matrix briefly and cause the ball trough VUK to start to fire.
LTG : )

Ok, so I see what's happening here...basically the ball does not always roll into the final resting position in the trough. If the game doesn't detect a ball there, but it does detect them in the other spots of the trough, it seems to pulse the solenoid for the shooter lane until the balls shake loose and one is seated correctly in the chamber. I'm really not certain what could have changed that allows the ball trough to occasionally catch a ball. I'm going to try to clean it, but it looks super clean already. :/

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.18.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.18.20 PM (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Makes sure the balls haven't become magnetized - if they are they stick to each other and the trough.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Makes sure the balls haven't become magnetized - if they are they stick to each other and the trough.

They are brand new. Nothing magnetized as far as I can tell.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

They are brand new. Nothing magnetized as far as I can tell.

Divots in the trough?? You can buy a plastic piece that fits in the trough to resolve that, try to file or grind them out or replace the trough completely if that's the problem.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Divots in the trough?? You can buy a plastic piece that fits in the trough to resolve that, try to file or grind them out or replace the trough completely if that's the problem.

This is very occasional. It almost seems like one of the balls is defective, based on the frequency which this happens. I'll dig around in there tonight and see if I can't find out what might be causing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 37.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumpy-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.