(Topic ID: 161197)

Jumping jack score reel question (Resolved)

By Noobee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on my Jumping Jack but I'm having a strange issue with one of my score reels. My second player 10000s reel works fine, except that when the score reels reset, it passes zero and always stops on 1. The runout switch and zero switch seem fine, and otherwise it scores with no issues. Any ideas from the experts?

#2 7 years ago

The bane of EMs is the switch that appears to be making, but isn't, or the switch that doesn't appear to be making, but is. If all the other reels are working correctly and the game is resetting properly other than this, it almost has to be the zero position switch.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, I would agree, except that if I reset with the 10000s reel starting at 1, it still goes all the way around to 1 again when it resets. I would think that it would not move at all, if the zero position switch were closing at 1. And, when the 10000s reel starts at zero when resetting, the wheel does not move, which would suggest that the zero position switch is made at zero?

#4 7 years ago

There is another switch that is closed at anything but zero that is in series with the reel solinoid, this gets pulsed by the score motor to reset the reel. So even if the other contact is closed at 1 chances are is will see a pulse to drive it off of 1 (pulses come off of A level, always 5 pulses in a score motor cycle).

maybe a stray 9s rollover pulse from the 10K reel? It is getting reset, ie stops briefly at zero long enough to bring Z1 in etc but then a stray pulse nudges it one more step...

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

There is another switch that is closed at anything but zero that is in series with the reel solinoid, this gets pulsed by the score motor to reset the reel. So even if the other contact is closed at 1 chances are is will see a pulse to drive it off of 1 (pulses come off of A level, always 5 pulses in a score motor cycle).
maybe a stray 9s rollover pulse from the 10K reel? It is getting reset, ie stops briefly at zero long enough to bring Z1 in etc but then a stray pulse nudges it one more step...

Oh crap, now my brain hurts! Thanks pinhead52, I will investigate further...

#6 7 years ago

chk the 1k reel 9th position switch, maybe needs adjusting???

#7 7 years ago

Hi Noobee
I do not have the pin - I do not have the schema. I look in the schema "Big Brave" -> I do see the "Add 2nd. Ten Thousands Unit"-Coil. Yes, when the "Add 2nd. Thousends Unit" is in 9th position: current may flow to Your problematic Drum - BUT: WHEN playing a ball - WHEN "L-1000-point-relay" pulls. To prove the theory (faulty-9th position ?) right or prove it wrong:
Say: For the moment I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY - I AM SEARCHING ON AN ERROR -> locate the L-1000-point-relay -> sneak-in a stripe of paper INTO EVERY SWITCH THAT WANTS TO CLOSE WHEN THE RELAY STARTS PULLING -> then test the Resetting at start-up.

I come up with another (wild, crazy ?) theory: Maybe everything is right - BUT the "plastic drum with the numbers on it" is mounted with an offset - a faulty turn of a tenth of a full circle --- means: The pin says "Drum is resetted to Zero" - BUT the player sees "1" on the plastic drum ???
To prove this theory right or wrong: Lets say the limits to make a Replay by Score-Drums are: 52'000 and 63'000. Player-1 gains Replays reaching 52'000 and 63'000 points - WHAT ABOUT Player-2 ? At 62'000 and 73'000 or 42'000 and 53'000 points ? Greetings Rolf

#8 7 years ago

Seems like I had something like that happen and it was a bad solder joint to the score reel circuit board

#9 7 years ago

Both of my em machines were stopping at a 9 and a 1 and the fix was take the reel apart and clean all the gunk off them
Manual move the reel through all numbers watching the switches and making sure they open and close when there suppose to

#10 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your help. I did get it fixed. It turns out that it was the normally open 'runout switch on the 10000s reel. It was set up to make on 1 - 9, and break on zero, however, the gap was too close so by the time it broke, the 1A motor switch would make on its next cam switch causing an additional pulse before the runout switch had a chance to open. Man I hate Gottlieb score reels...

#11 7 years ago

good stuff!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumping-jack-score-reel-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.