(Topic ID: 95011)

Solved! EM Help: Jumping Jack EM 10 point reel continuous

By TheDarkKnight68

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheDarkKnight68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, I'm still gonna get some pics up of this JJ restore I picked up Wednesday, but I have my first issue. The 10 point reel is stuck on as soon as a game starts. Have done minimal soldering- replaced pop bumpers, and all drop targets. Had the playfield out, upside down yadda yadda. Game worked fine electronically before I did these items. Ok, so I'm thinking I globbed some solder on a relay or dripped and caused contact with two wires or a switch- etc etc. OR I bumped a relay with several contacts and 2 contacts are touching now that shouldn't be. Makes sense, right? I know it's an old machine and things happen, but it just fits too perfectly- it had to be self inflicted with a bump or a solder drip- I know it. But I'll be damned if I can find it. Does anyone have a method of backtracking? I'm an SS guy- 1st EM, so my approach is kinda SS. I have been checking switches for stuck open/shut contact points, entire cab/under playfield for solder globs, and manual inspection of relay contact separation. Not sure how to follow the relay/circuit for the 10 point wheel, as I have no schematics. Anyone have a method they can point me toward, which can start narrowing items down or backtracking on the specific circuit? I'll find the damn issue, but it's slooooow going. Also, not sure what it means, but if I activate any playfield bumper (not pop, but the other ones), it causes the score reel chime and wheel to slow- don't know if it means my issue is on that circuit or not. Also, how long can I just "let it go" while I am checking stuff- will it burn the relay or am I safe to troubleshoot with it activated? Right now I do not leave it on for long for fear of frying something.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks, still slow going, still checking areas where I worked for the problem...

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, gentleman, I took a quick dip in hot tub to reset... I'm headed back down to the pin now... No, the score is by 10's... 10,20,30,40 etc... And its actually ten, twentry, thirty, forty, fifty... short, short pause... sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, hundred... short, short pause... etc etc

#8 9 years ago

Lol, it's been a long day of looking at stuff. I chuckled now that I went back, read your first reply, and then my ensuing description of exactly the same thing... Funny... Anyway, thank you! A starting and hopefully ending point.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks guys, got it fixed. Was the drop target switches. I found one there earlier today, and corrected it, and either got overzealous in trying it out (and forgot to finish checking the 10 switches- thought I did though) or created a new issue while gapping the one I found. In any case, a second closed drop target was found and problem solved. Moral- be careful when soldering - I know this wasn't a soldering issue, but I wasn't terribly careful (I may or may not have dripped, but had ZERO confidence that I didn't), so I spent my day looking for a small solder blob, because after all, I had checked the switches- even found one- had to be solder as I wasn't very careful. A feeling of "no, I took every precaution necessary, it can't be" could have been achieved had I been my normal, careful soldering self, but no, I chose not to. Thanks for the help, guys, made me get off my wild goose chase long enough to pull my head outta my butt and find the real problem. You guys rock.

-TDK

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheDarkKnight68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumping-jack-em-10-point-reel-continuous?tu=TheDarkKnight68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.