Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A245DFB2-0BD8-40C5-8844-C1086664DA88 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
67557F1C-7467-414F-A30C-A496638DCD4F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I noticed that Jumping Jack was inconsistently scoring the bonus. On observation I found that the discrepancy was variable and seemingly somewhat random. Rarely it would award all of the earned bonus but for the most part would award 40-80%.

I watched the “add bonus scoring unit” coil and noted that it would stay energized for 2-3 pulses 1-2 times per cycle. Thinking that it might be mechanical I took it apart and cleaned it and it did not change behavior despite moving easily by hand. Just to be sure, I “grounded” the coil rapidly with a jumper wire and it performed normally.

From the schematics, the coil should pulse only with score motor switch 1A while the E relay is energized or the runout switch is closed. Yet even after blocking all of the 1A switches, the coil would still energize erratically. The schematic shows a lot of connections with other relay circuits and I assume there is a switch or 2 or more somewhere that are closed when they shouldn’t be that is creating a “back-door” circuit completion for the “add bonus scoring unit” coil but I don’t know where to begin.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

67557F1C-7467-414F-A30C-A496638DCD4F (resized).jpeg67557F1C-7467-414F-A30C-A496638DCD4F (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago

I checked the switches which looked ok and cleaned them for good measure but there was no obvious change in the behavior.

#5 5 years ago

The M/B on O relay did look maladjusted. I cleaned and gapped the switches but still no noticeable change.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

What about the Bonus unit itself? Is everything making good contact all around?

I’m 99.9% sure the problem is not in the unit itself. Something is firing that coil inappropriately. I am just at a loss on how to narrow it down.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Did you check these leading into E? If not, I think you're going to have to go the "check anything that seems remotely related to it" route. Carefully.
[quoted image]

Tested and functioning properly.

Any further insight before I descend into the rabbit hole is greatly appreciated.

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Problem fixed!

Big thanks to HowardR for his generous help and teaching me the importance of observation.

We were troubleshooting the possibility of a short somewhere in the OR-BL wiring. Disconnecting the OR-BL from the back box connections had no impact. As I was following the wires in the bottom board I found a screw that had fallen into the score motor next to the 4B switch. How I failed to see this earlier I have no idea. Anyway, I removed the screw and the bonus scoring and coil behavior worked perfectly! As you can see from the photo, the issue was quite remote from the add bonus scoring unit circuit.
A245DFB2-0BD8-40C5-8844-C1086664DA88 (resized).jpegA245DFB2-0BD8-40C5-8844-C1086664DA88 (resized).jpeg

Sorry for the clumsy markup. If anyone has a better iOS solution I would appreciate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumping-jack-bonus-scoring-issue?tu=alveolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.