Jumpering Stern TA-100

By TaylorVA

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978
#1 9 years ago

Installed new pins on my Stars rectifier and am not getting any continuity from J1P6 to the TP5. This supplies 43v to the playfield coils. I do have power at the pin that feeds power to the cabinet coils and wonders if it would be okay to jumper from the back of one to the other. This board is pretty rough so o am planning on replacing it in the near future.

Thoughts?

TIA, Taylor

#2 9 years ago

Taylor, what coils are in the cab besides the knocker? Are the chime coils driven from that same 'good' pin, or are those driven from an early sound board? Stars is a bit earlier than most of the classic Sterns that I've worked on.

Is it the same voltage on that 'good' pin as the 47V you're expecting on the bad one?

Lastly, the cabinet coils should also be protected from over current situations by a fuse.

My suggestion would be to temporarily jumper to the good pin on the rectifier while cutting out the cab coils.

This is obviously temporary until you get a new rectifier.

Adding the cab and playfield coils into the same circuit would cause a higher current usage on a circuit that is not designed for it. Those boards are always beat, and my fear would be that you would stress out the barely limping board too much.

My .02 - it might be fine to tie them together, but I am pretty cautious when it comes to loading up a circuit. There's an electrical reason that they're separated!

I'd have to look at the schematics to really_ comment, though.

#3 9 years ago

Nick, I jumpered it and it worked. My right flipper is not working, having really looked into it, and I have issues with every display. :p

#4 9 years ago

Taylor, I shot you some info - it looks like you've got some funky stuff going on with your solenoid board. Check your test points and ensure the proper voltages are getting there, then you have a few pins to check to ensure continuity.

Sounds like you're close to me! Gotta look on the bright side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumpering-stern-ta-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.