• 1,143 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rs=w_364,cg_true (resized).jpeg
GettyImages-93765997-The-Happy-Days-Cast-Where-Are-They-Today-Jukebox-1024x694.jpg.pro-cmg (resized).jpg
7920725520_799865bb6e_b (resized).jpg
e1a5a17b878577712d8880df942dbb50 (resized).jpg
jukebox1 (resized).jpg
jukbox3 (resized).jpg
jukebox2 (resized).jpg
vending8 (resized).jpg
1jukeboxtrim (resized).png
74-web-or-mls-2098-willow-brook-circle (resized).jpeg
IMG_5494[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_1330 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1329 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1353 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1354 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from vwrookie66:

Just picked up this Seeburg SCD-1 a few weeks a go.
Still have to figure out why the little lights behind the graphics wont turn on.
But the Sony cd-60 works ok which I hear is usually a 50/50 kind of deal.

Looks great! Does that one say Made in Mexico on the ID tag? Regardless, can you post a pic of the ID tag when you get a chance? It would be appreciated.

2 months later
#108 5 years ago

Seized motor bearings. Zoom Spout Oiler is your friend.

3 months later
#146 5 years ago

But It's a "modern" Wurlitzer. The 1050 had a bit more value.....

4 months later
#168 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Not sure if you have the manual or if there is a lubrication chart (see sample attached) in the back of your jukebox. Those documents will show you the lubrication requirements for your particular mechanism. Your problem is most likely that you have old dried oil/grease causing excessive friction. Suggest you disassemble and clean the lubrication points of old oil/grease, then relube. Also, it is important to use the correct oils and greases. WD-40 is wonderful stuff for certain applications, but NOT in your jukebox. It dries out and leaves a residue that will cause exactly the issue you have. Hope this helps.[quoted image]

Oil every week; LOL.

3 months later
#196 4 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

Hey all - I have a Seeburg HF100R and am having an issue with the mechanism slowing down and sometimes almost stopping. it seems to be most prevalent on the A side ( so when turning towards you) when it plays the B side not near as bad at all. I have lubed up all the gearing so not sure if its mechanical or electrical. Any thoughts?

Check the tubes on the Auto Speed control unit. Then the electrolytic caps. For all tubes that are twins, Mark them and swap into the other sockets and see if the issue switches to the "B" side.
Electrical problems are more likely than mechanical problems......

7 months later
#309 4 years ago
Quoted from attitude05:

I have a Seeburg STD4 Mardi Gras. It will only play A side. It will search for B side but not play them. Any ideas?

Poor contact or broken wire on the "B" side contact point between the turntable & Tormat assembly. Or, a bad "Grey Box" aka Microlog Control unit. A broken wire anwhere in that circuit for that matter. You can verify if it's the Grey Box by doing the old 9 volt battery trick to the Tormat assembly wires. Apply for one second to activate all 160 Torids and reverse polarity and apply for 1 sec. to deselect all 160 selections. See if the the turntable starts picking up B sides. If so, the contacts I mentioned are good. The Grey Box is not sending a signal to the B side selections.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

You were right Issues 1 & 3 solved with arm adjustment ! ( a nut and a bolt were missing; was ok after adding new ones and adjusting).
Last issue remaining: arm not grabing the record at the end. Looks like the part close to the center is being pushed a bit too late; when the semi circular part is already away from the record.

The old Rock-Ola Gripper Motor & related adjustments. It's 1980 all over again..

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I have a KD 200 and it had the exact same issue....easy fix. Broken wire was the problem.
[quoted image]

Love that pic. The reverse switch along with the end of scan "ramp" warms the cockles of my heart. A product of 1500 N. Dayton Street in Chicago.

I still remember noticing the giant Seeburg logo sign lit up on the roof when I went up in the Sears Tower Skydeck at night for the first time.

2 months later
#371 4 years ago

Seeburg of Mexico is really a different company. Correction; was a different company.....

3 weeks later
#398 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

New from today![quoted image]

I remember the brochure for the Wurlitzer Americana. The girl reminded me of The Mod Squad or Get Christie Love....

#402 4 years ago

Verify if it is a 100 or 200 selection model. That makes a difference on value. If the seller says 160 selections it's from a different era....

1 month later
#446 3 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Joined the owner's club over the weekend.
Homeowner I'm doing some work for had a Gottlieb EM that I fixed a couple weeks ago and asked if I was interested in a jukebox.
Trading some labor for the jukebox. Been in the basement since '94. Hope to get it working and restored but might be quite a challenge.[quoted image]

Cool Jukebox. Did it come with any '78's or spare needles?

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I always enjoy finding money in machines I pick up. At most I’ve only ever found a few bucks tucked away in nooks and crannies, but I don’t trust anything without at least a quarter or two lurking around.

Best one for me was about twenty years ago, in a slot machine I bought in Ohio. It was a $25.00 denom high-limit slot. Behind the power supply was a $25.00 token for Bally's Park Place in Atlantic City. I used to travel a lot for my job so I was able to redeem the token within a couple of months.

1 week later
#459 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Anybody have experience or opinions on the Wurlitzer 1050? Pros and cons. It has not been restored.

No bubble tubes or rotating drums so added reliability. Wurl-o-Matic mech which has average reliability. Personally, I like the Rock-Ola version (Model 1000) as it is newer, equipped with the tried and true Rock-Ola mech and better sounding amplifier & speakers.

Now, if you're getting an as-is Wurlitzer 1050 that is complete and for a good price (under $1K) I'd go for it as I am comfortable repairing them.

4 weeks later
#501 3 years ago

"No sir, Mayor Daley no longer comes to the Seeburg factory; he's dead sir".

seeburg_mayor1 (resized).pngseeburg_mayor1 (resized).png
#508 3 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Great Seeburg pic - what's the story behind it?

That was from the dedication ceremony of the new main plant addition in 1965.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Fun letter. Kind of interesting because the 1050 was a modern day knockoff of the 1080. It was one of Willet’s hers last jukeboxes. It eventually was made by the Mexican
company Sonata and called the Nostalgia 1050.

And let's not forget that Rock-Ola also built it with their mechanism as the Model 1000. This was after they moved from the massive Chicago plant at 800 N. Kedzie to suburban Addison.

5 months later
#597 3 years ago

The Detroit area's top Seeburg repair technician passed away last week. I worked with him for a few years and he taught me quite a bit on Seeburg troubleshooting. Below is a link to his obituary. Also, here's a picture I took of him with a Mardi Gras (STD4?) in 1980.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2020/10/25/oak-park-jukebox-pinball-supplier-remembered-making-people-smile/6032124002/

20201021_160749 (resized).jpg20201021_160749 (resized).jpg
#607 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

All the original A&W I grew up with in Cali have been gone 25 years , how on earth did you find that?
Must be a good story

A bunch opened without the Drive-In concept as well as mall locations in the midwest as the drive-ins closed. Now with malls dying, the jukeboxes with the $15.00 A&W glass are being sold off. I'd be installing the Wurlitizer-like glass circle.

1 week later
#627 3 years ago

A pic of signage on a Railroad bridge over Diversey Parkway in Chicago near Stern Electronics who bought Seeburg's Jukebox manufacturing assets in 1983. Pic was taken by me in August, 1983.

20201109_154804 (resized).jpg20201109_154804 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#636 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I have a W1900. Occasionally the volume goes way out of whack (loud). It get back to normal eventually. I had a recap done over a decade ago (maybe two). Anyway, what problem would be a cause of that symptom?
[quoted image]

You likely have a defective tube or three. Also, Electrolytic caps don't last forever....

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

I've been hesitant to share my membership in the jukebox club because I haven't seen more than one or two digital music examples.
But here goes, this was a 20th anniversary gift to my wife and I this year from my dad. We love it, and with over 1000 albums ripped lossless so far, we are only half capacity. It's bright and colorful in person and sounds great too!
[quoted image]

A real beauty with the transparent decor. Seeing the motors & gears for the drums is quite intetesting. That's the first 90th Anniversary model I've seen in someone's home. I plan on buying the CD version next year after we move to our new home out West.

1 month later
#671 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Wow what a great thread! I saw last post was 666 so was going to comment on that not even seeing the topic . Then got excited to see there is a club for this! I have a 100 cd play Rockola that is around 25 years old that has some issues like flickering light and it will stop playing periodically in the middle of songs. Had a great guy on here come by and figure a different issue was a battery and it was but this seems like more. Does anyone know someone in Detroit Suburbs Michigan that works on these? Thank you!

Give Pascaretti Enterprises Inc. a call. They have a couple of good Jukebox techs. www.pascarettienterprises.com

#676 3 years ago

Nothing else like the old Wurl-O-Matic mechanism....

3 weeks later
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from KongDonkey:

My new baby, going to be fun getting it cleaned up and running.
[quoted image]

David C. Rock-Ola is smiling from above....

1 month later
#723 3 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

I have a Rowe R-83 jukebox ,i am looking for somebody to test and repair the memory unit.I have reached out to A&B jukebox with no response.

Approximately where are you located?

2 weeks later
#736 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

[quoted image]
Just finished hanging this guy, I don’t suggest doing this job by yourself on a ladder.

Beautiful, is that a Rock-Ola made version?

#745 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

This is a coincidence.....so when I was about 10 my dad got a mid-late 60’s Seeburg jukebox...He just wanted to have a jukebox and it was cheap. Then he got some books that showed the history of jukeboxes. I saw a picture of that Wurlitzer speaker and told my dad he should get one cause it just looked so cool. He never did but I always wanted one since I was a kid. Well I lucked into one today. Glad I got this one as it’s a bubbler too. It’s cleaning up nice! [quoted image][quoted image]

I remember the first time I saw an ELO album in a Record Store,I immediately said to myself: That's a Wurlitzer external speaker. I already had a copy of McKewin's (sp?) Juke Box book where I saw a picture of one. Never saw one in person until the "new" Rock-Ola company started making them and had one on display at a trade show.

On location, I only saw a few of Seeburg's rather dull looking "official" external speakers back in the '70's.

1 month later
#770 2 years ago

I remember seeing a cassette juke on location in the mid-late '70's. Only ever saw one. It was in a diner.

1 week later
#773 2 years ago

Rudy Wurlitzer and all of the employees that helped design, develop and build that jukebox in North Tonawanda, New York have to be proud of the restoration you completed.

1 week later
#791 2 years ago

I am all for helping Rock-Ola stay in business as I planned to buy a 90th Anniversary CD model.

However, all have since sold out but they offered to customize one with the clear panels, polished brass/"gold" grill, and aluminum cabinet a few months ago. No fifth rotating color drum though. They have since released
a Crystal Edition with the fifth drum though. Now for the thirteen thousand dollar question.

Scoring a not too old 1015 CD replica for $1250.00 is making me rethink it.....

2 months later
#803 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

There must be a new Jukebox manufacturer. I saw an ad on Facebook for a Waltlizard jukebox. Very rare I'm sure.
[quoted image]

Title says brand new, ad says "LIKE brand new".... 250 cd capacity (if you put them loose in the bottom of the cabinet) it looks like the 50 cd capacity model. May even be a Princess version.

#806 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

What is the best first jukebox for someone who:
-knows nothing about jukeboxes
-wants one from the 40's/50's that plays 45rpm records
-can fix EM pinball machines

Something with the name Rock-Ola......

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from 29REO:

Gotemwill Unless a Wurlitzer 1900s or a
Rock-Ola 1468 happens to fall into your lap then Seeburg offers the best in terms of classic 1950’s style and availability.

I believe that Rock-Ola's from that Era are easier to repair for an EM pin person.

#812 2 years ago

I agree that the Seeburg Microlog systems [Gray box & Black box] were easy to repair if you know what you are doing and carried a Simpson 260 meter. The route operator I worked for had aboot 150 jukeboxes on the route.70% Seeburg Microlog, 20% Rock-Ola and 8% Rowe/AMI. 2% were 1 NSM, 1 Seeburg Disco 160 and 1 Seeburg Phoenix. Those had the infamous Red box.

1 month later
#826 2 years ago

So I was at the new Rock-Ola factory & offices in Torrance the other day. The move took place four months ago and production is taking place. They are dealing with component supply issues but the line is running.

The Crystal Edition, which I want, sure looks nice....

The former plant two miles away has been sold and is being renovated into something else.

eirtu8uyt4gyrf89j (resized).PNGeirtu8uyt4gyrf89j (resized).PNGegjsduru956 (resized).PNGegjsduru956 (resized).PNGeo;krgjuefg9er (resized).PNGeo;krgjuefg9er (resized).PNGeab2461649496 (resized).jpgeab2461649496 (resized).jpg

#831 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I love the look of that unit.

Loved the cabinet design and the front glass assembly with the depth effect. Hated the side glass panels though....

#835 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Are they still tube amps?

The Tormat Control Center (that controlled the Tormat Memory module) Used with LPC-1's, Fleetwood/Discotheque used tubes while, as Redfive05 stated above, the amplifiers went Solid-State. Once the Olympian (SPS-160) & Matadors (SPS2) were released in the early '70's, The Microlog system was included that controlled the same, basic Tormat memory unit. The large, tube-type Tormat Control Center was replaced with the Grey Box. At that point, Seeburg jukeboxes were fully Solid-State.

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from Redfive05:

Yes! I totally forgot about the Control Centers still using tubes.... If memory serves me right wasn't that so you could still use the existing wallboxes with these newer machines? That way if an operator wanted to upgrade a Juke on location that was hooked up to 20 remote wallboxes they would only need to replace the juke and not the entire set up?

That makes sense, once I started working for an Operator in '79, all wall boxes on the Route were microlog. We had a pile of the old electro-mechanical ones in the storage area (that you could substitute with a Rotary telephone for free play testing) that I remember filling up a dumpster with.

Once the New Microlog system came out, you had to replace the wallbox as each had a "Black Box" for pricing.

1 year later
#989 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I have a Wurlitzer 1900 that was basically put on "Free Play" some time ago. I have had no issues with that for many years until today. The selection light does not come on, and selections can't be made. I have no clue where to begin the troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated.

You are probably missing a required voltage. Power supply issue. Probably a bad diode/bridge rectifier causing a fuse to blow or circuit breaker to trip.

2 months later
#1014 1 year ago

Can someone refresh my memory; Do 1970's Wurlitzer's use a Reed switch with magnet on the tone arm to trip the mech when a record has completed playing its song?

3 months later
#1051 9 months ago

Need clarification for the last two posts (1049 & 1050)
Antique Apparatus bought Rock-Ola and now does business as Rock-Ola.

Are we good with All Antique Apparatus as well as Rock-Olas made in Torrance, California (either Torrance location)?

#1057 9 months ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

sorry, forgot about this. Early AA OMT had Rowe/AMI hardware. I’ve always made my living off coin drop. The most reliable coin op equipment ever built is and still is Rowe/AMI

I worked for a route operator as a service tech from 1979 to 1985. Agreed, that Rowe AMI had the most dependable jukeboxes at that time. Rock-Ola's were a good 2nd place for reliability. Seeburg was a distant 3rd and the Wurl-a-Matics sucked hind tit.
Now, NSM's, which became popular in the USA after I left the biz, quickly leapfrogged Rowe.

2 months later
#1112 7 months ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Just curious, anyone have one of these? Only ever saw one in the wild, and that was in Grafenwöhr Germany on post in 1990.
[quoted image]

I played one in an arcade at Six Flags Great Adventure park in Jackson, New Jersey in the Summer of 1988. Music video was Bad Boy by Miami Sound Machine.
In a pinball link, at that time, the park was owned by Bally Manufacturing Corporation.

6 months later
#1143 35 days ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Whoever the designer at Seeburg was who created that waterfall front design on the R, was a genius.[quoted image]

I believe that it was Detroit based Sundberg-Ferar that was contracted to do the design for Seeburg.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jukebox-owners-collectors?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.