You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4738 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4411 (resized).jpeg
67607909448__354612D0-9B0C-446B-9AC8-8AE28C40F83A (resized).jpeg
67485612688__9554FB84-5237-4520-9D80-726916715A85 (resized).jpeg
rs=w_364,cg_true (resized).jpeg
GettyImages-93765997-The-Happy-Days-Cast-Where-Are-They-Today-Jukebox-1024x694.jpg.pro-cmg (resized).jpg
7920725520_799865bb6e_b (resized).jpg
e1a5a17b878577712d8880df942dbb50 (resized).jpg
jukebox1 (resized).jpg
jukbox3 (resized).jpg
jukebox2 (resized).jpg
vending8 (resized).jpg
1jukeboxtrim (resized).png
74-web-or-mls-2098-willow-brook-circle (resized).jpeg
IMG_5494[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_1330 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Nice! Search for Ron Rich - he is one of the keepers of Seeburg knowledge. He's on many forums.

You can find Ron on the FB group Phonoland.com. (For Wurlitzer, the master is RobNYC). It is really amazing how much these guys know.

1 week later
#299 4 years ago

My Wurlitzer 2150. When I got it, it was the standard covered in solidified grease, rodent crap and tons and tons of acorn shells. Must have been a big party destination for the local mouse population. Had to do a ton of work to get it to work. Converted it to use a ceramic/magnetic cartridge given the issues with the old Cobra's also added a crossover and tweeter. Had to redo the cabinets...used a couple of fancy veneers. Tried to keep it in the same 'spirit' as the original. Since this was the 'unblinged' version of the 2100, I also put in led strips (on color change for the bottom straight gold for the general illumination). Lot of work on the amp, actually have two now, one which I fully rebuilt including new pcb all new components from caps to resistors to tube sockets. Pretty happy with the aesthetics and sound.

IMG_20191107_104517 (resized).jpgIMG_20191107_104517 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20191107_104431 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20191107_104431 (resized).jpg
#301 4 years ago

Thanks

2 months later
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from DHVincent:

Is there a trick to installing a new cartridge on a Wurlitzer 1700? The old needle came right out, but I can't seem to get the new one to pop in.
Also, can anyone recommend someone to do a partial resto on it? DC Metro area. Thanks!

I believe the 1700 came with a Cobra. I converted my 2150 from the Cobra to ceramic (then magnetic). This is a fairly common upgrade, so I'm wondering if it could be as simple as someone having converted the cartridge and you are now trying to fit the proverbial round peg into a square hole?

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

is there better brands than others and what era and brand is most sturdy? I am fairly new and don't want to start off with a hopeless wreck. Looking for recommendations and what to look for.

It's a bit like asking who makes the better truck, Chevy or Ford.

I have a Wurlitzer 2150 so I may be biased; however, I think most would say that Wurlitzer's are built like a tank, to the point of being over engineered in places. That having been said, I also think most would say that Seeburg's sound better than Wurlitzer's. Then you have AMI and Rockola, which I am less familiar with. I would recommend joining (or at least browsing) the Phonoland FB group. They can provide guidance on specific models that may be more or less problematic, typical issues, etc. Plus they are extremely helpful with diagnosis, remediation, sourcing of parts, etc.

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from DHVincent:

It is still stock and untouched, my dad owned it since 1979. I am replacing like for like. Both carts look exactly the same.
Generally speaking though, the new one should just slide back in, right? Can I open the ends a bit to make it fit easier, or will that damage it?

Here is a video I found showing changing out the Cobra cartridge. But, yes, it should just slide right in.

#358 4 years ago
Quoted from DHVincent:

EDIT: It works. I just found another cobra cart. Tried that one. Slid right in.
Thanks!
Will changing just the tubes improve the sound or will I need to do caps as well?
Again this is an untouched machine. It pulls records perfectly, but it sounds awful.

Caps for sure, new tubes is probably a good idea.

Looks like a 524 amp? Bill Bickers (Jukebox Friday Night) sells both tube and cap kits. He also sells them on e-bay, I believe. I highly recommend Bill. He was a big help to me as I rebuilt and converted the amp so I'm sure he can answer any questions you may have. I fear your sound problem is gong to be with the Cobra. I remember talking to someone awhile ago that said it is almost impossible to get a 'clean' Cobra replacement.

1 week later
#365 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Pigg3- so the bottom line is to replace the switch, right?

Based on what you have described, seems like that is the solution. My assumption is plgg3 is assuming no random play/flakiness in the mounting bracket that could cause the switch itself to move (unlikely but I guess it is possible).

1 month later
#414 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Will do thanks

You can go to Discogs and enter in the records to see what they are selling for. Hard to say from the pics, but these look to be in decent condition. I actually have a couple of those in my jukebox right now.

In my experience, the big money ($20 or more) is from newer stuff (2000-2005) where there were very few made as the shift to CD was already complete. And some of the limited (in numbers) foreign releases where they put a great B side with an A side as opposed to the std US and Europe releases where you often have a good A paired with an undesirable B. Since jukebox space is so limited, these can command good $.

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Anybody interested in the lot ? would have to inventory but im guessing around 40 .

I may be interested in the lot; however it is completely dependent on the titles. If you have played them and can confirm the grade, that makes a big difference on what they are worth. If you haven't played them, you run the risk that the ones you want aren't really playable.

Personally, I would 'inventory' them by simply taking a picture of a half dozen or so at a time, both sides. That way, one can make a somewhat informed guess on condition as well as seeing the titles. (Also, if any have sleeves that are specific to the record, like the picture sleeves, show those. Looks like all will be generic record co sleeves)

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Ok,
There are 52 records in total , let me go through and see what they are , bands and songs.
Shipping could be pretty expensive .

Actually shouldn't be that much...probably all fit in a a mid sized USPS flat rate box or you can use media mail with very low rates

1 month later
#444 4 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Most older amps are at a point where they need to be re-capped if they haven’t been already. I know there used to be places you could get cap kits but its been a while.

I'd reach out to Bill Bickers at Jukebox Friday Night:
http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/

He does amp rebuilds and carries a lot of kits to recap amps. I don't see a kit for the 556 listed on his site; however, he may well be able to put one together for you

1 week later
#461 4 years ago

I have a Wurlitzer 2150, so I am biased. In my research, the Seeburgs are generally considered to have better sound while the Wurlitzers are built like tanks. (Some would say they are over-engineered.) The issue with the Wurlitzer Cobra cartridge used in some models is addressed by converting to a ceramic/magnetic cartridge. That's what I did, it's not difficult. Of course, some run with the Cobra's. To be honest, my feeling is that this a Chevy vs Ford truck conversation. Find one you like the looks of. None of the 50's jukes are audiophile equipment...plus you have the charm of the noise of the vinyl and the dynamics of the room. Any of them will sound fine. Whatever you get, I would recommend the Phonoland.com FB group as a great resource to help troubleshoot any issues. I have been helped on several occasions with esoteric issues that only someone who had to maintain them for many of years would have ever run across. Good Luck in your search!

#465 4 years ago

One other piece of advice...I would get a 160 or 200 play jukebox. You'll quickly discover how the studios would match the A-side song you want with a song on the B side that you will never play. Now, to be sure, there are exceptions (great A and B side) and there are some reissues, like the Collectibles and Back to Back Hits series where they even mixed artists. However, I would count on a good 25% of the plays being songs you won't ever play.

2 months later
#529 3 years ago

Unless you really, really, love the rebuild process, you may be better served finding something is a bit better shape. I can't speak for the 2900; however, parts can be very pricey and add up quickly, especially some of the bling pieces and the glass. Also, there are a lot of moving parts in a jukebox and it can be daunting trying to figure out how everything interacts. This is especially true if beginning from a state of it not working. Personally, I think you might find it more satisfying to get a project that 'sort of works'. Records select sometimes, records don't always play, records don't unload...that sort of thing.

And as belairjoe said, you should expect to do some work on the amp. Bill Bickers (Friday Night Jukebox) http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/ does rebuilds as well as sell kits for those who prefer to do it themselves.

5 months later
#642 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I have a W1900. Occasionally the volume goes way out of whack (loud). It get back to normal eventually. I had a recap done over a decade ago (maybe two). Anyway, what problem would be a cause of that symptom?
[quoted image]

I have a 2150 and it had the same problem. It was very annoying nd the sporadic nature of it made it difficult to torubleshoot In my case, it was not a tube but the socket for one of the tubes. I think it was one of the 12AX7 tubes. So, if you find a tube doesn't do it, look at the socket (also the pot for the volume)

1 month later
#668 3 years ago
Quoted from KongDonkey:

Ok I need some experts, I’ve found a Seeburg v200..which I think looks beautiful. What should I look out for if I go check it out and what is an appropriate price range. It looks to be in great shape.

It's a very nice box, visible mechanism and holds 100 records. I have one of the Wurlitzer comparable models (2150 the 2100 being the fancy version) with the visible mechanism and 100 record capacity. The Seeburg and the Wurlitzer 2100 tend to be highly desireable and, therefore, very pricey. I'm not that familiar with the Seeburg's abd there is somewhat of a Ford/Chevy kinda thing between the two brands. If you cut through that, it seems like the Wurlitzers are over-engineered (built like tanks, not to say the Seeburgs are fragile) while the Seeburgs sound is better (again, not to say the Wurlitzer is poor). Your best bet is to get on the Phonoland.com facebook page. There are several Seeburg experts on there that can tell you specifically what to look for.

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Here's our baby.
A few things going on where I've gone through the manual and done the adjustments I can with what I have, but to no avail:
1. On some selections, the record starts a few seconds in, some start at the beginning perfectly, and others the arm skates through the record without playing any of it and the record is returned
2. When the record returns on the right, it gets trapped halfway back into the slot. This is starting to happen on records returning to the left
3. Newer issue is the record won't sit to play, floating between the clamp and turntable
Any ideas or Cincinnati area folks with some know-how able to help?
[quoted image]

I suspect there may be a couple of things at play here. One of the most painful aspects of these is that everything is interconnected meaning you adjust one thing and something else messes up, so you try to adjust that and something else messes up. It can be very frustrating. My GUESS and the starting point for me would be the overrun adjustment. As you know, the selector hits a pin and then reverses slightly. If it reverses too little or too much, the record may not be served correctly or even at all and that can cause it to not clamp properly (issue #3) as well as not returning properly (issue #2). This can cause several other issues with how the record is playing. Also note that differences in the right and left side could be the result of the mechanism not be leveled properly. Anyhow, I'd start with the overrun adjustments.

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Would this be a back stop pawl adjustment? I'm going in and provide an update that hopefully doesn't involve me breaking it

I have a 2150, so the nomenclature and adjustments might be a bit different. Per the attached, it looks to be screws 1 and 9. If you manually trigger one of the selector pins to raise it, then manually move the selector crank arm, when the pin on the arm hits the raised pin, you will notice the crank stops but the arm continues moving forward. After a very short distance, the arm will trigger a switch. This reverses the motor so the arm backs up some, the other screw determines how far it reverses before stopping. The 1 and 9 screws are used to set how far it reverses.

PXL_20210117_233938760 (resized).jpgPXL_20210117_233938760 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#714 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Best place to order 45's online?

When I am looking for rare stuff, Discogs is where I go.

3 weeks later
#728 3 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

The Jukebox Repair Help group on facebook is excellent. Tons of knowledge on there and good people very willing to help.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1434893370078686

I would add the Phonoland.com FB group as well.

1 month later
#757 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:I just took a chance on this Ristaucrat S45 project (loosely assembled for pic). It needs a back door and a transformer. Any leads would be appreciated.
[quoted image]

The best thing about that one is you don't have to spend hours trying to find 45's with a good B side!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jukebox-owners-collectors?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.