You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4738 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4411 (resized).jpeg
67607909448__354612D0-9B0C-446B-9AC8-8AE28C40F83A (resized).jpeg
67485612688__9554FB84-5237-4520-9D80-726916715A85 (resized).jpeg
rs=w_364,cg_true (resized).jpeg
GettyImages-93765997-The-Happy-Days-Cast-Where-Are-They-Today-Jukebox-1024x694.jpg.pro-cmg (resized).jpg
7920725520_799865bb6e_b (resized).jpg
e1a5a17b878577712d8880df942dbb50 (resized).jpg
jukebox1 (resized).jpg
jukbox3 (resized).jpg
jukebox2 (resized).jpg
vending8 (resized).jpg
1jukeboxtrim (resized).png
74-web-or-mls-2098-willow-brook-circle (resized).jpeg
IMG_5494[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_1330 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 23.
#501 3 years ago

"No sir, Mayor Daley no longer comes to the Seeburg factory; he's dead sir".

seeburg_mayor1 (resized).pngseeburg_mayor1 (resized).png
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

CD boxes are nice but you can fill 100 CD’s quick and still not come close to all the music you want at your fingertips so modding them is kind of nice for that. Just like pins Jukes can multiply and space can be an issue. And not every song you want is on 45rpm.

Yeah that’s what I like about this mod. It still operates like 45’s but i can put a whole album as 1 MP3 and just use up 1 spot in the play list.

My other (fully functional) juke is a Rock-Ola 446. I hate it. Not only is there no visible mech but it looks like my parent’s 1960’s console stereo. Fugly. But hey it works and has 45’s in it.

I got both for free last summer. Had to repair a lot on the rock ola to get it running.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Well I did the unthinkable. Converted a juke to MP3 (while maintaining the original look and feel). You wouldn’t know unless you opened it up. It’s a Seeburg STD2 Entertainer.
Now before slamming me consider that the juke is cosmetically so-so. Repainted using what looks like brushed on Tremclad for the black. Some chrome painted black. Most of the remaining chrome is rusted/corroded/scratched. The electronics were hacked to sh$t. Unending cut wires, splices, and electrical tape all over. Blown amp. Non functioning audio pickup(in addition to blown amp).
So here’s what I did:
I programmed an Arduino mega with MP3 shield to control my jukebox. With the programming and hook up done I need to clean up the installation and make it more “permanent” instead of jump wires all over. Then I will get to the infinity lighting. The only “non-original” behaviour is the initial bulb test when I turn it on. The volume control and skip song switch in the back are both functional.
I was worried about tackling this since last time I coded anything was 20 years ago and in C++. Never coded an Arduino before. It was fun to get rid of the cobwebs in the brain lol. I’m pretty happy with the result
I kept all lighting original (incandescent bulbs). Controlled by 2 x 16 channel relay boards. The 20 “selection playing” bulbs run on 12v(#19 bulbs). Missing 3 bulbs that I will get from a “local” operator (110 miles away lol) when I go pick up a spare semi-populated Dr Who playfield soon.
The “status panel” lights were converted to 555 running on 5v. Those were 656 wedge bulbs running on 28v before. Missing a few twist sockets (on order). I will change the text back to English and add “Please Wait” at the bottom and “Thank You” once a valid selection is made.
The scanning sound I recorded myself from the mech before I disassembled it. It’s the only thing that was semi working. Love the squeaking lol.
The juke in action:
Note that I fixed the brief flashing of “select song” prior to “please wait” since taking the video.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nicely done! Love the scanning and proper light show.

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Nicely done! Love the scanning and proper light show.

Thanks!!

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Well I did the unthinkable. Converted a juke to MP3 (while maintaining the original look and feel). You wouldn’t know unless you opened it up. It’s a Seeburg STD2 Entertainer.

Awesome project, thanks for the writeup! Not at all unthinkable, if the mech is hidden, it does not matter what does the actual playing.

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

"No sir, Mayor Daley no longer comes to the Seeburg factory; he's dead sir".
[quoted image]

Great Seeburg pic - what's the story behind it?

#507 3 years ago

I have a seeburg ls2 jukebox, im missing the contact block, part #CB1, it sits on top of the mechanism and plugs into the "now playing" display on the front top panel and it says not a handle on top in big letters, The attached pic is of part # cb2 that looks the same but has a different connection. I need #CB1, so let me know if anyone can help.

received_248934072985838 (resized).pngreceived_248934072985838 (resized).png
#508 3 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Great Seeburg pic - what's the story behind it?

That was from the dedication ceremony of the new main plant addition in 1965.

#509 3 years ago

Hey fellas. I might have an opportunity to buy a Rowe WP-100. What are thoughts about these? They don't have any speakers right? are parts available and easily fixed?

#510 3 years ago

or would you go after a firebird 2? which one is better and has parts available to fix

#511 3 years ago

Well. Lost both in auction. This auction is typically broke junk so oh well

#512 3 years ago

I've had the NSM Emerald Ice for almost a year. I finally got around to tinkering with it. She's working 100% now.

Dsc_5126_1 (resized).jpgDsc_5126_1 (resized).jpg
#513 3 years ago

I'm uploading a bunch of EM flyers to Pinside this evening and found this letter stuck in the middle of them and thought it belongs somewhere in a thread......

scan0013.pdfscan0013.pdf
#514 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I'm uploading a bunch of EM flyers to Pinside this evening and found this letter stuck in the middle of them and thought it belongs somewhere in a thread......
[quoted image]

Fun letter. Kind of interesting because the 1050 was a modern day knockoff of the 1080. It was one of Wurlitzer’s last jukeboxes. It eventually was made by the Mexican company ‘Sonata’ and called the Nostalgia 1050.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Fun letter. Kind of interesting because the 1050 was a modern day knockoff of the 1080. It was one of Willet’s hers last jukeboxes. It eventually was made by the Mexican
company Sonata and called the Nostalgia 1050.

And let's not forget that Rock-Ola also built it with their mechanism as the Model 1000. This was after they moved from the massive Chicago plant at 800 N. Kedzie to suburban Addison.

#516 3 years ago

Thats awesome!!

#517 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Now before slamming me consider that the juke is cosmetically so-so. Repainted using what looks like brushed on Tremclad for the black. Some chrome painted black. Most of the remaining chrome is rusted/corroded/scratched. The electronics were hacked to sh$t. Unending mess of cut wires, splices, and electrical tape all over. Blown amp. Non functioning audio pickup(in addition to blown amp).
So here’s what I did:
I programmed an Arduino mega with MP3 shield to control my jukebox. With the programming and hook up done I need to clean up the installation and make it more “permanent” instead of jump wires all over. Then I will get to the infinity lighting. The only “non-original” behaviour is the initial bulb test when I turn it on. The volume control and skip song switch in the back are both functional.
I was worried about tackling this since last time I coded anything was 20 years ago and in C++. Never coded an Arduino before. It was fun to get rid of the cobwebs in the brain lol. I’m pretty happy with the result
I kept all lighting original (incandescent bulbs). Controlled by 2 x 16 channel relay boards. The 20 “selection playing” bulbs run on 12v(#19 bulbs). Missing 3 bulbs that I will get from a “local” operator (110 miles away lol) when I go pick up a spare semi-populated Dr Who playfield soon.
The “status panel” lights were converted to 555 running on 5v. Those were 656 wedge bulbs running on 28v before. Missing a few twist sockets (on order). I will change the text back to English and add “Please Wait” at the bottom and “Thank You” once a valid selection is made.
The scanning sound I recorded myself from the mech before I disassembled it. It’s the only thing that was semi working. Love the squeaking lol.
The juke in action:
Note that I fixed the brief flashing of “select song” prior to “please wait” since taking the video.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's awesome!!

#518 3 years ago

I own a Wurlitzer 1050.... I really think it's an interesting machine. It's the machine that started the Retro Jukebox craze.... it predates all the 1015 OMTs and clones. It looks retro, but it's not a copy of an older machine. Some parts of the machine are built like a tank, but other parts reek of cheap. It has great sound, and with a few little mods can sound even better.
You can also get them for a lot cheaper than OMTs, but cosmetic parts are a lot harder to come by and reproduction parts are non-existent.

When I got mine the previous owner added a pre-amp and changed the cartridge to match (Pretty common to do to these in the late 80's early 90's). It would sound great.... but the whole machine rattles like crazy:

I've spent a lot of time trying to fix all the rattling.

I don't think I'm going to keep this machine though.... As interesting as it is, as cool as it looks, and as good as it sounds.... I just don't have the room for 7 Jukes. Plus the others I own have more sentimental value than the 1050.

~Jeff

#519 3 years ago

I'm restoring the Rowe CD jukebox.

DSC_5175 (resized).JPGDSC_5175 (resized).JPGDsc_5162_1 (resized).jpgDsc_5162_1 (resized).jpgDsc_5173_1 (resized).jpgDsc_5173_1 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#520 3 years ago

My Rowe restore is done. She came out looking good.

Dsc_5191_1 (resized).jpgDsc_5191_1 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#521 3 years ago

Are there any jukebox collectors/restorers/repair type people near me? (Springfield, Il.) If so, please PM me - I have some stuff that you may be really interested in. I don't want to throw it away, as I think it has value for those who are into old jukeboxes. Shipping is likely cost prohibitive - its all old original manuals.

#522 3 years ago

a pic of mine

20200622_140127 (resized).jpg20200622_140127 (resized).jpg
#523 3 years ago

I just picked up a Rowe CTI-2 yesterday. I picks up the record and I can hear sound from the record but I'm not getting anything from the amp. Does anybody have a manual sitting around ?

106262823_10223413997001112_4450204414933968536_o (resized).jpg106262823_10223413997001112_4450204414933968536_o (resized).jpg67-4 (resized).jpg67-4 (resized).jpg
#524 3 years ago

Anyone know where I can find replacement push buttons for this Rockola CD8 ? Button #6 does not register. I tried reseating the connector and nothing. Thanks in advance

051ED3D7-F371-4EA8-9F3D-9E4899E4B361 (resized).jpeg051ED3D7-F371-4EA8-9F3D-9E4899E4B361 (resized).jpeg
#525 3 years ago

I’m thinking about buying my first jukebox and was wondering if you guys have any good leads or tips.

I was visiting my aunt in northern Wisconsin this weekend and after talking a bit about old player pianos and pinball machines, she brought out my Mom’s old record collection from the 60’s-a whole box filled with 45’s. I told her that I come across jukeboxes now and then when looking at pinball machines, and she said that if I got a jukebox, she would give me the records. That sounds pretty cool to me, so now I’m on the hunt For a 1960’s-ish jukebox and I know pretty much nothing about them.

Any help would be appreciated!

#526 3 years ago

I would say pretty much all the 60’s 45 jukeboxes are tanks and Seeburg or Wurlitzer are great in that era. You might want to get one with a stereo amp, especially if you plan on having satellite speakers, but mono jukes sound great too.

For a 45 jukebox the main thing I like is a visible player of some sort. Late 60’s is the band of models with both a visible player and stereo.

I personally love my Wurlitzer 3000. It’s completely electromechanical (other than the amp), was one of the last with a visible mech and is stereo. The stock amp isn’t the best sounding but I run a line out for some external amplified speakers which fill in the very nicely and it sounds wonderful like that.

Whatever you find consider how you like the look, research the amp (some are better than others, but most can be upgraded) and don’t be afraid of a little work if its complete.

Fortunately Jukeboxes are much more affordable than pins, but they can get pricy as well.

#527 3 years ago

Thanks Merc. There’s actually a Wurlitzer 2900 available 2 hours from me for under $300. It needs a lot of attention and parts though. It’s missing the glass, the clear plastic disc that covers the record in play is damaged, the shiny metal parts are in poor condition, and the rails that hold the little cards are rusty. That’s just what I can see from the pictures and when I check into parts suppliers, those things would run about $500. They said it lights up, but won’t function properly.

I’m not sure if this model is worth that much rehab.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Thanks Merc. There’s actually a Wurlitzer 2900 available 2 hours from me for under $300. It needs a lot of attention and parts though. It’s missing the glass, the clear plastic disc that covers the record in play is damaged, the shiny metal parts are in poor condition, and the rails that hold the little cards are rusty. That’s just what I can see from the pictures and when I check into parts suppliers, those things would run about $500. They said it lights up, but won’t function properly.

you should expect to also include the price to re-build the amp..$100 or more if you do yourself..$300-350 if you send out with shipping costs

#529 3 years ago

Unless you really, really, love the rebuild process, you may be better served finding something is a bit better shape. I can't speak for the 2900; however, parts can be very pricey and add up quickly, especially some of the bling pieces and the glass. Also, there are a lot of moving parts in a jukebox and it can be daunting trying to figure out how everything interacts. This is especially true if beginning from a state of it not working. Personally, I think you might find it more satisfying to get a project that 'sort of works'. Records select sometimes, records don't always play, records don't unload...that sort of thing.

And as belairjoe said, you should expect to do some work on the amp. Bill Bickers (Friday Night Jukebox) http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/ does rebuilds as well as sell kits for those who prefer to do it themselves.

#530 3 years ago

What is a Seeburg SMC1 jukebox worth? Cosmetically it looks pretty nice, working condition unknown, missing needle, otherwise no additional information at this point. I really have no business thinking about this but I have always liked that style box and one came up for sale semi locally.

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

What is a Seeburg SMC1 jukebox worth? Cosmetically it looks pretty nice, working condition unknown, missing needle, otherwise no additional information at this point. I really have no business thinking about this but I have always liked that style box and one came up for sale semi locally.

In my opinion - not working - worth not too much. It really depends on how badly you want it. The amps are difficult to repair but there are those who can work on them. The computers used to be unobtainable but there is a new computer that Ron Rich helped design that breathes new live into these machines (sold by him and http://www.cdadapter.com). The mech is extremely similar to those used from the 1967 SS160 with just a few different bits bolted on (it really is a great design). So needles and tone arms should be no issue. The gas struts that hold up the lid are also for sale (I can't remember where I saw them).

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

you should expect to also include the price to re-build the amp..$100 or more if you do yourself..$300-350 if you send out with shipping costs

Quoted from Oldgoat:

Unless you really, really, love the rebuild process, you may be better served finding something is a bit better shape. I can't speak for the 2900; however, parts can be very pricey and add up quickly, especially some of the bling pieces and the glass. Also, there are a lot of moving parts in a jukebox and it can be daunting trying to figure out how everything interacts. This is especially true if beginning from a state of it not working. Personally, I think you might find it more satisfying to get a project that 'sort of works'. Records select sometimes, records don't always play, records don't unload...that sort of thing.
And as belairjoe said, you should expect to do some work on the amp. Bill Bickers (Friday Night Jukebox) http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/ does rebuilds as well as sell kits for those who prefer to do it themselves.

Great info, thanks guys! I think I’d be in way over my head on this one. I should probably wait for one that is less of a project. I’ve never been that great at waiting to do the things I should do, however.

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Agree with the others. You should be able to find that model for 500ish in complete condition and sorta working. I got my 300 complete but not working for 100. Fortunately it didn’t take much to get working.

#534 3 years ago

Thanks guys, I’ll pass on the 2900. I know a guy with a Seeburg M100A that’s converted for 45’s. Any feelings about the M100a?

Also, Is there a good jukebox parts place like PBR?

#535 3 years ago

Victory Glass

2 months later
#536 3 years ago

I'm looking into getting a wall-mount CD jukebox. I seem to have it narrowed down to a late-90s NMS or Rowe. I haven't been able to find a ton of info on these other than that it seems like the Rowes may be better made but the NMS disc changing is much faster.

Can anyone share recommendations or tips?

thanks!

#537 3 years ago

Both are solid units but be sure there’s a pro laser in either one. The Rowe is bigger and changes cd’s slower. If the NSM has the slider title pages, make sure it works 100%. Page jams can be a hassle.

#538 3 years ago

As tullster said, make sure the jukebox has a Philips CD Pro player in it....not the older cdm3 or cdm4 player. My NSM Emerald Ice seems to work well, but I haven't used it much after testing it out. Those NSM's are known for title page jams like tullster pointed out.

#539 3 years ago

That’s hugely helpful. Thanks guys.

I had read that as long as the NSM art/booklets were thin and tucked in that they worked well. Or is it more problematic than that?

The NSM fast song changes has lured me in....but is it not that big of a deal?

#540 3 years ago

On the Nsm, there are clear plastic sleeves you put the title strip & cd booklet cover art in. Be sure the title strip & cover art are a single sheet of paper and tucked into the tabs correctly.

When I was a tech, I cleared lots of page jams because the $$ collector got lazy sometimes and didn’t take care installing the title pages. Also, be sure you have all 100 sleeves and they’re in good shape.

The Rowes are more forgiving and usually the whole cd booklet can be put on the display.

#541 3 years ago

Thanks tullster

Can you compare the time it takes to play the next song on a rowe vs NSM?

#542 3 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

Thanks tullster
Can you compare the time it takes to play the next song on a rowe vs NSM?

Timing will also depend on how close the next CD it has to pull is on the holder. If the next cd is close it will be faster than if the next cd requires a full spin.

#543 3 years ago

I'm putting this bad boy up for sale this weekend.

IMG_3263 (resized).JPGIMG_3263 (resized).JPG
#544 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm putting this bad boy up for sale this weekend. [quoted image]

GLWTS.

Here up in the Great White North I've had a Rock-Ola up for sale for 250$ all summer and nuthin. Lots of "I'm interested I'm coming over tomorrow" then silence lol..

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

GLWTS.
Here up in the Great White North I've had a Rock-Ola up for sale for 250$ all summer and nuthin. Lots of "I'm interested I'm coming over tomorrow" then silence lol..

Yeah, but that's Canada. And the Stanley Cup Finals are on. Things'll pick up in a bit...

#546 3 years ago

I plan to be picking up a Rowe CD wall-mount juke this week. I'll make sure it has the CD Pro drive in it and has the wall bracket.

What else should I be looking for on inspection? What's the "jukebox checklist"?

Thanks!

#547 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm putting this bad boy up for sale this weekend. [quoted image]

Tell me more... fully working, any clutch issues, amp and selection receiver recapped?
Does the marquee motor work?

#548 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Tell me more... fully working, any clutch issues, amp and selection receiver recapped?
Does the marquee motor work?

The whole drive box was recently rebuilt. Marquee motor and top flourescent not working (I suspect a wiring issue since the starters were replaced and ballasts are testing well. But it works perfectly and is cosmetically awesome. I'm just not dumping any more money into this thing and don't have the skills to fix it myself.

EDIT: The marquee motor may, in fact, work. I just don't even know how to activate the thing.

#549 3 years ago

Anyone repair cdm 3 players ( I know , old and obsolete) or have an upgrade kit for Wurlitzer OMT cd player? The one I'm working on spins fast then rejects. Cleaned the lense , but to no avail.

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Anyone repair cdm 3 players ( I know , old and obsolete) or have an upgrade kit for Wurlitzer OMT cd player? The one I'm working on spins fast then rejects. Cleaned the lense , but to no avail.

Not sure if this is the best option? But it's an option.
ebay.com link: REPAIR SERVICE PHILIPS Cdm3 REPAIR Jukebox Juke Box player cd Rowe rockola

There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jukebox-owners-collectors/page/11?hl=phillips88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.