New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 167507)

Jukebox owners & collectors

By merccat

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 592 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by cad-kid
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 281 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2 (resized).JPG
Dsc_5330_1 (resized).jpg
FEB11409-0DCF-49A5-9EB6-D90752636693 (resized).jpeg
DSC_5319 (resized).JPG
Dsc_5322_1 (resized).jpg
Dsc_5320_1 (resized).jpg
Dsc_5316_1 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).png
9CC694AF-FADA-493D-BBBB-7D272F0CA629 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3263 (resized).JPG
051ED3D7-F371-4EA8-9F3D-9E4899E4B361 (resized).jpeg
106262823_10223413997001112_4450204414933968536_o (resized).jpg
67-4 (resized).jpg
20200622_140127 (resized).jpg
Dsc_5191_1 (resized).jpg
DSC_5175 (resized).JPG

There are 592 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 6 months ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Only came with the manual and a couple dollars worth of quarters in the coin box.
Looks like it's complete and decent shape. Someone painted it at one point so not sure what's underneath yet.
For anyone that works on these, how difficult are they to get working? I'm pretty good with EM games but not sure how something like this compares.

I always enjoy finding money in machines I pick up. At most I’ve only ever found a few bucks tucked away in nooks and crannies, but I don’t trust anything without at least a quarter or two lurking around.

#452 6 months ago
Quoted from merccat:

I always enjoy finding money in machines I pick up. At most I’ve only ever found a few bucks tucked away in nooks and crannies, but I don’t trust anything without at least a quarter or two lurking around.

Best one for me was about twenty years ago, in a slot machine I bought in Ohio. It was a $25.00 denom high-limit slot. Behind the power supply was a $25.00 token for Bally's Park Place in Atlantic City. I used to travel a lot for my job so I was able to redeem the token within a couple of months.

#453 6 months ago

I finally have the power supply repaired on my Rock-Ola.

So glad to finally have her up and running.

DSC_4971 (resized).JPG
#454 6 months ago

Very nice Rock-ola’s , liteup (fabulous)

#455 6 months ago

Hello all,

My pinball machines are lonely and need a jukebox. I have no clue what to get, how much I should spend or how hard they are to work on. Looking for some advice from this group.

Preference would be a older model that plays records. Something that was at the height of the original technology/nostalgia. Not a new Crosley or Bluetooth type machine.

Prefer records but don't know the pros/cons of record size or how hard it will be to find records to fill the machine.

Thanks for your input.

#456 6 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Hello all,
My pinball machines are lonely and need a jukebox. I have no clue what to get, how much I should spend or how hard they are to work on. Looking for some advice from this group.
Preference would be a older model that plays records. Something that was at the height of the original technology/nostalgia. Not a new Crosley or Bluetooth type machine.
Prefer records but don't know the pros/cons of record size or how hard it will be to find records to fill the machine.
Thanks for your input.

flippinjimmy , Jukeboxes playing 45s started being replaced by CD jukes in the 80s-early 90s. The most desirable jukes are the ones with visible mechs (record changers) from the late 50s. These use tube technology, but still have great sound and fantastic looks. They started hiding the mechs in the 60s and transitioned to solid state amps. Jukes evolved through the 70s and 80s with solid state amps and microprocessors for the selection system.

Here's a good resource for jukebox model history http://www.tomszone.jukeboxhistory.info/

My recommendation... Do you want something old, reliable and simple to work on with great looks and sound? If so, then get a 50s Seeburg (222, R, V/VL-200, etc.) or AMi (H, I, J, K or Continental). I'd stay away from Wurlitzers; they have great looks, but needles are difficult to locate and IMHO they don't have the same sound as the Seeburgs and AMis. There are some Rockolas from the 50s that are nice too (1448, Tempo, Empress, etc.).

If you want something a bit more modern look at late 80s Seeburgs or Rowe/AMis. I think a Seeberg SMC1 or SMC2 would look great beside a pin! Anything in the Rowe 90 series (R-92, 93, 94) would be good too. They have a bullet proof mech/selection system and have great sound. Here's a Todd Tuckey R-94 video.

#457 6 months ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

flippinjimmy , Jukeboxes playing 45s started being replaced by CD jukes in the 80s-early 90s. The most desirable jukes are the one with visible mechs (record changers) from the late 50s. These use tube technology, but still have great sound and fantastic looks. They started hiding the mechs in the 60s and transitioned to solid state amps. Jukes evolved through the 70s and 80s with solid state amps and microprocessors for the selection system.
Here's a good resource for jukebox model history http://www.tomszone.jukeboxhistory.info/
My recommendation... Do you want something old, reliable and simple to work on with great looks and sound? If so, then get a 50s Seeburg (222, R, V/VL-200, etc.) or AMi (H, I, J, K or Continental). I'd stay away from Wurlitzers; they have great looks, but needles are difficult to locate and IMHO they don't have the same sound as the Seeburgs and AMis. There are some Rockolas from the 50s that are nice too (1448, Tempo, Empress, etc.).
If you want something a bit more modern look at late 80s Seeburgs or Rowe/AMis. I think a Seeberg SMC1 or SMC2 would look great beside a pin! Anything in the Rowe 90 series (R-92, 93, 94) would be good too. They have a bullet proof mech/selection system and have great sound. Here's a Todd Tuckey R-94 video.

Great info. Thank you for the detailed explanation and model numbers.

#458 6 months ago

Anybody have experience or opinions on the Wurlitzer 1050? Pros and cons. It has not been restored.

#459 6 months ago

Anybody have experience or opinions on the Wurlitzer 1050? Pros and cons. It has not been restored.

No bubble tubes or rotating drums so added reliability. Wurl-o-Matic mech which has average reliability. Personally, I like the Rock-Ola version (Model 1000) as it is newer, equipped with the tried and true Rock-Ola mech and better sounding amplifier & speakers.

Now, if you're getting an as-is Wurlitzer 1050 that is complete and for a good price (under $1K) I'd go for it as I am comfortable repairing them.

#460 6 months ago

have a seeburg scd-1. Picked it up a year ago and has been sitting in the garage since. when i put a cd in it, it will pick one up and spin for a sec then put it back down. anyone know how or what to do with this? is it the cd player? can another cd player get put in or does it have to be the same model?

#461 6 months ago

I have a Wurlitzer 2150, so I am biased. In my research, the Seeburgs are generally considered to have better sound while the Wurlitzers are built like tanks. (Some would say they are over-engineered.) The issue with the Wurlitzer Cobra cartridge used in some models is addressed by converting to a ceramic/magnetic cartridge. That's what I did, it's not difficult. Of course, some run with the Cobra's. To be honest, my feeling is that this a Chevy vs Ford truck conversation. Find one you like the looks of. None of the 50's jukes are audiophile equipment...plus you have the charm of the noise of the vinyl and the dynamics of the room. Any of them will sound fine. Whatever you get, I would recommend the Phonoland.com FB group as a great resource to help troubleshoot any issues. I have been helped on several occasions with esoteric issues that only someone who had to maintain them for many of years would have ever run across. Good Luck in your search!

#462 6 months ago
Quoted from Bax1:

have a seeburg scd-1. Picked it up a year ago and has been sitting in the garage since. when i put a cd in it, it will pick one up and spin for a sec then put it back down. anyone know how or what to do with this? is it the cd player? can another cd player get put in or does it have to be the same model?

Power off, carefully clean the lazer eye with a cotton swab & alcohol or lens cleaner. Hopefully it's just hazy and a cleaning does the trick. Not sure what direction to point you for a replacement eye, but I'm sure there's information out there on the web. Good luck! Great sounding Juke!

#463 6 months ago

I hope I don't have the Juke bug too. It seems I have spent all my time lately researching juke boxes.

If anyone has a nice, working, juke for sale or knows someone who does please PM me. My preference is something in good working order with a visible mechanism.

Have heard some of you purchased units at very reasonable prices. I can't seem to find anyting on FB Marketplace or Craigslist in the local area but if you do and are looking to flip a unit please PM me.

Thanks,

#464 6 months ago
Quoted from tullster:

Power off, carefully clean the lazer eye with a cotton swab & alcohol or lens cleaner. Hopefully it's just hazy and a cleaning does the trick. Not sure what direction to point you for a replacement eye, but I'm sure there's information out there on the web. Good luck! Great sounding Juke!

Thank you. Will give it a shot but need to dig it out of the back of the garage

#465 6 months ago

One other piece of advice...I would get a 160 or 200 play jukebox. You'll quickly discover how the studios would match the A-side song you want with a song on the B side that you will never play. Now, to be sure, there are exceptions (great A and B side) and there are some reissues, like the Collectibles and Back to Back Hits series where they even mixed artists. However, I would count on a good 25% of the plays being songs you won't ever play.

#466 6 months ago
Quoted from tullster:

NEVER clean the optic lens on a laser with alcohol !!!!!

#467 6 months ago

I hope I don't have the Juke bug too. It seems I have spent all my time lately researching juke boxes.
If anyone has a nice, working, juke for sale or knows someone who does please PM me. My preference is something in good working order with a visible mechanism.
Have heard some of you purchased units at very reasonable prices. I can't seem to find anyting on FB Marketplace or Craigslist in the local area but if you do and are looking to flip a unit please PM me.
Thanks,

I've picked up 5 bubbler CD jukeboxes since October....3 Wurlitzers, a Rock-Ola, and a Rowe.

DSC_4884 (resized).JPGDsc_4950_1 (resized).jpgDsc_4966_1 (resized).jpg
#468 6 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

NEVER clean the optic lens on a laser with alcohol !!!!!

Ok, what do you suggest?

#469 6 months ago
Quoted from tullster:

Ok, what do you suggest?

spit on a Q-tip

#470 6 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

spit on a Q-tip

That would do the trick, I like that!

The Scd1 was the first cd juke to hit the market in the late 80’s. I worked a route and we had 15-20 of them. We were told to use alcohol and it seemed to work ok. I used lens cleaner because it came in a little bottle I could keep in my toolkit. Just be gentle wiping the eye. I remember cleaning them a lot because it was back when you could smoke in a bar so there was a constant haze in the air.

The Sony players were pretty solid, but the bill acceptors sucked. They sounded great, but the biggest complaint was the manual title page turning mech.

Eventually the Scd 1’s got replaced by the Rowe/Ami Cd Jukes that eventually got replaced by the downloaders that are everywhere now.

#471 6 months ago

so should i take the case off of the cd player to clean the eye? I'd love to get this working since i have a ton of cd's just sitting around.

#472 6 months ago

It’s been a long time, but if I recall, open the top doors, and pull the bottom panel forward. Remove the bottom panel and set aside.

Power on, open the player (button upper right corner). Power off, Push on the bar across the bottom and it’ll click & swing up. The entire cd holder will pull out with all the cd’s and you’ll have access to the laser eye on the left.

Might not hurt to clean the slide bars the laser slides on with alcohol. If you can’t reach them, the entire player comes out easily, (but remove the cd’s beforehand). The left end panel comes off and you’ll have access.

#473 6 months ago

anyone know a cheap way to convert it to an mp3 player if I can't get the cd player working? Can you just change the cd player for a different one?

#474 6 months ago
Quoted from Bax1:

anyone know a cheap way to convert it to an mp3 player if I can't get the cd player working? Can you just change the cd player for a different one?

I'm not familiar with the Seeburg jukeboxes. All of the jukeboxes I own have the Philips CD players in them. If your jukebox has a Philips player, chances are, it'll be an older version and repair parts are hard to come by these days.

I have a top-notch repair guy, if you need assistance.

#475 6 months ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Does the jukebox have a “background music” input. You can put a streaming device inside and plug it in to the standard RCA ports. I’ve done this even for CD jukes that work just because its nice sometimes to just have them playing and with a selection the CD overrides the background.

Otherwise, maybe you can find a conversion for your model here:
http://www.cdadapter.com/

#476 6 months ago

they do have one for the scd but really don't want to spend 325 and then find out some of the other boards don't work or the amp took a dump.

i will have to look to see if there is a background music input. that would be cool if there is. i hope in the next couple weeks to get it unburied out of the garage.

#477 6 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'm not familiar with the Seeburg jukeboxes. All of the jukeboxes I own have the Philips CD players in them. If your jukebox has a Philips player, chances are, it'll be an older version and repair parts are hard to come by these days.
I have a top-notch repair guy, if you need assistance.

any idea what typical cost is to repair a cd player? I've looked for replacement parts for this sony and doesn't seem to be much.

#478 6 months ago
Quoted from Bax1:

any idea what typical cost is to repair a cd player? I've looked for replacement parts for this sony and doesn't seem to be much.

I'll be talking to my repair guy this afternoon. What make/model jukebox are you trying to repair?

#479 6 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'll be talking to my repair guy this afternoon. What make/model jukebox are you trying to repair?

Seeburg scd-1 they came with a Sony CD player. Sorry I missed your post yesterday

#480 6 months ago

Got my first jukebox ever yesterday. I won this guy at a auction... made in 1999, 100 CD rock-ola CD8B model. CD mechanism that takes the CDs out of the basket did not work. Grease inside was dry, lubricated and got it working. Now it takes the CDs out and places them down correctly. But the CD player spins the disc 3 times then it puts it back in the basket. Checked and I think the laser/diode is faulty. The lens moves back and forth, and up and down, but no light. I ordered a new optic assembly on eBay. Hopefully thats it.

Other than that. I did find a Ipod retrofit kit available, for the 30 pin ipods. Any body know of any other official upgrades I can do?

sorry for the bad picture....
rockola jukebox (resized).JPG

#481 6 months ago

also... it does not have a latching/lock assembly. I have some parts, like the key tumbler and such, but not the actually locking mechanism on the cabinet part, ( have the door latch part ). Can someone post a picture or better yet, video of how the latch on the cabinet part looks and operates?? thanks a bunch guys.

#482 6 months ago

Got inspired after Coyote sent me some title strips he made for me and TomDK sent me a word doc from Germany.

I had my daughter redo the image to just white with a red border. I originally had shading I ended up not liking.

I then had to cut and paste 100 title texts and line them up with the image.

I then had a buddy print them on semi gloss card stock. Thankfully he works for a larger print/copy company.

Oddly, he had issues printing them correctly sized because the image came from a country that uses metric measure. That's what he told me. I don't know shit about this stuff.

Then spent an hour cutting them out. Thankfully, I have nothing else to do.

I'm so used to the original, the new ones almost look too nice.

C88B324F-748A-428D-8DC9-92C01E507301_1_105_c (resized).jpeg44C541A3-44D0-4066-8337-9BAD91A409E3_1_105_c (resized).jpeg8E941C2C-A244-4C0C-BA6D-4D0953EFE64E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#483 6 months ago

Finally cleaning my Christmas records.

D0B70992-98AB-40DD-B306-34F1D12890C8 (resized).jpeg
#484 6 months ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Finally cleaning my Christmas records.[quoted image]

How do you like that cleaner? I’ve been shopping. But some of them are so expensive.

#485 6 months ago

Anyone know what size bulbs go under the keypad on a NSM Cosmic Burst? I put some #47's in there but the quickly burnt out.

#486 6 months ago

Pretty sure they're 12 volt, so a 161 (2W), 194 (3W), or 168 (5W) should work.

#487 6 months ago

Okay, thanks Tully!

#488 6 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Got inspired after Coyote sent me some title strips he made for me and TomDK sent me a word doc from Germany.
I had my daughter redo the image to just white with a red border. I originally had shading I ended up not liking.
I then had to cut and paste 100 title texts and line them up with the image.
I then had a buddy print them on semi gloss card stock. Thankfully he works for a larger print/copy company.
Oddly, he had issues printing them correctly sized because the image came from a country that uses metric measure. That's what he told me. I don't know shit about this stuff.
Then spent an hour cutting them out. Thankfully, I have nothing else to do.
I'm so used to the original, the new ones almost look too nice.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!!
Can you scan me one of those 'Hit Oldy' ones? I want to add that as an option..

#489 6 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Nice!!
Can you scan me one of those 'Hit Oldy' ones? I want to add that as an option..

I'll do it tomorrow. Send me a PM so I don't forget.

#490 6 months ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

How do you like that cleaner?

It does a pretty good job. After cleaning the yellow plastic makes makes it easy seeing all the debris that was cleaned off and is either sunk at the bottom of the device, or floating around in the water.

#491 6 months ago

Don’t think there is specific thread for soda machines...too lazy to start one but thought you guys might appreciate my latest addition. Pepsi VMC 81.

29BF2CFB-1FF9-4261-9B4E-69D91483B621 (resized).jpeg
#492 6 months ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Don’t think there is specific thread for soda machines...too lazy to start one but thought you guys might appreciate my latest addition. Pepsi VMC 81.[quoted image]

Post that in the Unique game room items thread as it is definitely unique -

2 weeks later
#493 5 months ago

Thinking about selling my fully restored Seeburg V now that my restored Wurlitzer 2000 is gone; just doesn’t look the same on that one side of the room now so if anyone is interested, pm me for more details.

0AEA1577-9403-4860-9F90-5D79B7181806 (resized).jpeg79DC906F-AC38-4486-8538-BF909F629346 (resized).jpeg1C1FF9C5-A90C-4885-A6B7-4E6F3FDBF7D8 (resized).jpeg
#494 5 months ago

Thinking about selling my fully restored Seeburg V now that my restored Wurlitzer 2000 is gone; just doesn’t look the same on that one side of the room now so if anyone is interested, pm me for more details.

030206C8-B48E-4B25-BB1F-75FB63899603 (resized).jpeg6B9BCDDF-014D-430B-9E06-ECD70690AF80 (resized).jpegD94FCDFD-C87A-43B9-A4D9-74FA2AB66ED2 (resized).jpeg
#495 5 months ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You had two of the best. When did you sell the W2000? What did you get for it? I have a Seerug V200 a Wurlitzer 2100.

33A7629E-7BE2-4937-A9EE-17264D53F72B (resized).jpeg6DB0D1BA-D416-4091-AA6D-AA804E07B0A8 (resized).jpeg
#496 5 months ago

The Wurlitzer 2000 has some very unique mechanics which made it more of a pain to keep running as opposed to the 2100. So, if I had to chose, I would keep a 2100 hands down over a 2000.

#497 5 months ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Boy thats a bueatiful machine!

#498 5 months ago

i sold my Wurlitzer 1900 a long time ago, now i have a VL . i really like the VL much more
also have the fireball cd version i call it my VL cd edition
your V looks outstanding. you will have no problem finding a buyer.

#499 5 months ago

Well I did the unthinkable. Converted a juke to MP3 (while maintaining the original look and feel). You wouldn’t know unless you opened it up. It’s a Seeburg STD2 Entertainer.

Now before slamming me consider that the juke is cosmetically so-so. Repainted using what looks like brushed on Tremclad for the black. Some chrome painted black. Most of the remaining chrome is rusted/corroded/scratched. The electronics were hacked to sh$t. Unending mess of cut wires, splices, and electrical tape all over. Blown amp. Non functioning audio pickup(in addition to blown amp).

So here’s what I did:

I programmed an Arduino mega with MP3 shield to control my jukebox. With the programming and hook up done I need to clean up the installation and make it more “permanent” instead of jump wires all over. Then I will get to the infinity lighting. The only “non-original” behaviour is the initial bulb test when I turn it on. The volume control and skip song switch in the back are both functional.

I was worried about tackling this since last time I coded anything was 20 years ago and in C++. Never coded an Arduino before. It was fun to get rid of the cobwebs in the brain lol. I’m pretty happy with the result

I kept all lighting original (incandescent bulbs). Controlled by 2 x 16 channel relay boards. The 20 “selection playing” bulbs run on 12v(#19 bulbs). Missing 3 bulbs that I will get from a “local” operator (110 miles away lol) when I go pick up a spare semi-populated Dr Who playfield soon.

The “status panel” lights were converted to 555 running on 5v. Those were 656 wedge bulbs running on 28v before. Missing a few twist sockets (on order). I will change the text back to English and add “Please Wait” at the bottom and “Thank You” once a valid selection is made.

The scanning sound I recorded myself from the mech before I disassembled it. It’s the only thing that was semi working. Love the squeaking lol.

The juke in action:

Note that I fixed the brief flashing of “select song” prior to “please wait” since taking the video.
1683A03D-D3BA-45FC-8FAD-A2D892AD8548 (resized).jpeg3AADBEDB-8E87-47D3-9482-326FEC4E02F6 (resized).jpeg

#500 5 months ago

Very few machines from the 70’s and up are worth much so no issue with people converting newer Jukes however they want. For me the magic of a jukebox is seeing the record play. Once all mechs were covered with no visible record the charm of it all goes away. CD boxes are nice but you can fill 100 CD’s quick and still not come close to all the music you want at your fingertips so modding them is kind of nice for that. Just like pins Jukes can multiply and space can be an issue. And not every song you want is on 45rpm.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 275.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,599.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 229.99
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 592 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside