(Topic ID: 193281)

Jukebox Club - show us your tunes! Help thread too.

By KingBW

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pudealee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1163A61E-7CCB-441D-BD4B-C5378090A499 (resized).jpeg
Seeburg HF-100R Mech at Night (resized).jpg
Seeburg HF-100R-PS (resized).jpg
B82EB979-5B77-4188-85BE-767884FF530F (resized).jpeg
008 (resized).JPG
A7CDA928-B4B9-4D63-86BC-C5C75D581884 (resized).jpeg
9AC117E0-DC81-4CF1-AB5A-B86C7F89B811 (resized).jpeg
CA4BCB6D-8A59-47D9-AA02-4BB5AB605DE1 (resized).jpeg
7494DFC1-33F2-4A43-B540-4B0BB6E4FB7A (resized).jpeg
E6BC57AE-4CFE-4852-93BD-E9310476CA13 (resized).jpeg
011 (resized).JPG
010 (resized).JPG
012 (resized).JPG
20170711_212431 (resized).jpg
20170711_212333 (resized).jpg
20170711_212251 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I have seen some record "dinkers" for sale, and was wondering if any of you have had success with these devices - or if there are other methods of making the proper 1.5" sized hole in a UK-type of single (45)?

I've no experience with Dinkers but recently discovered the term when I bought a UK NIN 7" 45 to put in my juke, and was shocked to discover the hole was "wrong"! (Kinduva fascinating story there, who knew records had such a deep rabbithole?)

I already felt stupid and didn't want to spend another $50+ (more like $75 based on what I could find!) just to "dink" one record!

So, if you have a steady hand and patience, you can do what I did: go to the hardware store and get some some 3/16" threaded rod, a couple 1.5" fender washers, and matching locknuts. Then get an Xacto knife and a pack of new blades. Thread the rod through the existing record hole and clamp the washers on both sides with the locknuts. Make SURE you have centered the washers and they cannot move - this is tricky but absolutely critical! Then carefully start cutting with light-to-medium pressure along the edge of one washer. You might even be able to hold the knife and spin the record using your makeshift spindle (hint: make sure the washers are free from burrs and other imperfections that might snag the blade).

It's tedious and nerve-wracking, but doable: I was very slow and careful as obviously one bad slip of the knife would destroy the grooves. Vinyl is very hard to cut, and you will have to stop frequently and often to clean swarf and debris from your cut. Once it gets deep enough to help "keep" the blade, you can increase pressure with appropriate caution. If you're confident both washers are centered, you can do the other side to meet in the middle... eventually the knife will break through. All told it took me a little over half an hour but I prevailed with a dead-center 1.5" hole, minimal label wear beyond a few errant scratches from blade slips, and a rare record - probably the only NIN 45 in a jukebox in the USA ha ha - that sounds *perfect* for just $5 in parts and a half hour of stress.

But I can't say I intend to do another this way if I can avoid it. It's a desperation cheapskate play, not a recommendation. If euro 45's end up being your thing, I'd get a dinker. If all you want is one HTF "rarity" you can either try this method, or add that price to your record...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jukebox-club-show-us-your-tunes-help-thread-too?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.