(Topic ID: 114460)

X-men Wolverine Solution (with gameplay Video)

By rotordave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Switch.jpg
image.jpg
xmen captive ball2.png
xmen captive ball.png
image.jpg
IMAG2179.jpg
IMAG2178_1.jpg
247332-i.jpg
image-627.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
515-5967-xx.jpg
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 9 years ago

Did the Rotodave Method and WoW what a difference. After one wolverine breaking, I don't need another. I used a Stern switch but removed the first rectangular tan part that holds the screws to the bracket. This gave the switch blades in the back enough of a gap without being pinched. I had to file down the target as well as the area the screws go through (from where the tan rectangular part of the switch rested on) with a dremel.

Now I have to find a nice figure to mount.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#152 9 years ago

Good work Tom!

rd.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Good work Tom!
rd.

Thanks. It plays awesome.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Thanks. It plays awesome.

It makes a big difference eh!

Everyone who plays it likes it better this way.

rd.

#155 9 years ago

When can I buy one..dudes?

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Dude! Mezelmods is making the plastic base. I think he is just perfecting the switch.

I just rigged up an old one I had lying around.

rd.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I bought the kit from Mezelmods and used a standard Stern/Sega/DE switch I had in my parts box. You have to adjust the with head and I removed a portion of the base where the switch screws into the bracket. Not hard to do at all.

1 week later
#158 8 years ago

I think this should work!

Switch.jpgSwitch.jpg

#159 8 years ago

You want that bent part behind the first (longer) part of the switch. You then want the second part of the switch to have a flat metal support behind it. See my attached image. I took the first couple pieces apart so you could see how I did it. The piece with the tab to solder to is not needed if the long switch piece has a tab.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The extra wafers are just for the plastic piece that goes through the wafers. You don't need all of them.

#160 8 years ago

Yep, the I will take another pic with the switch assembled without the tall piece.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Yep, the I will take another pic with the switch assembled without the tall piece.

I think you misunderstood. You want the tall piece, but with the bent metal piece behind it.

like this:

wafer
short straight backer piece
short straight leaf blade
wafer
short bent backer piece
tall straight leaf blade
wafer

#162 8 years ago

I mounted a wolverine I bought on eBay. It fits the MezelMod base perfectly so you can get to the screws. Nice part is it doesn't come near the ice ramp when it moves to the other side. Only downsides it is smaller than original and it's hard to see his face from players view. Overall I think it looks good though.
I love the Newton ball.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-627.jpgimage-627.jpg
#163 8 years ago

This isn't mine, but it is one of the better ones I have seen. This is a large figure cut at the waist.
247332-i.jpg247332-i.jpg

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

This isn't mine, but it is one of the better ones I have seen. This is a large figure cut at the waist.
247332-i.jpg

That's cool just wonder if the claw contacts the ramp.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

That's cool just wonder if the claw contacts the ramp.

You can position the arms as it is an action figure. Then you can glue them into place once you make sure the ramp is OK.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You can position the arms as it is an action figure. Then you can glue them into place once you make sure the ramp is OK.

Would love to find that figure

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Would love to find that figure

Try Amazon and search for "Wolverine". I saw it there a while ago for about $14 I think.

#168 8 years ago

Anybody know if they will have this mod back in stock? Or are they going to make it??? Thanks

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Anybody know if they will have this mod back in stock? Or are they going to make it??? Thanks

TMezel is working on finding a good switch for the full set. He might sell you the bracket alone and you can buy the other parts individually. I can email you parts list I used if you want. PM me.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

247332-i.jpg

The mod looks great, but it definitely looks like you're "smacking Wolverine in the ball(s)", considering the placement of the newton ball relative to his upper body.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The mod looks great, but it definitely looks like you're "smacking Wolverine in the ball(s)", considering the placement of the newton ball relative to his upper body.

That depends on which figure you put above it. You can even run a flasher up and into your figure if you are good at modding a mod. This would need a long post that you could screw into the lower posts and then mount a flasher and tap into the one that is normally in the Wolverine insert.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I mounted a wolverine I bought on eBay. It fits the MezelMod base perfectly so you can get to the screws. Nice part is it doesn't come near the ice ramp when it moves to the other side. Only downsides it is smaller than original and it's hard to see his face from players view. Overall I think it looks good though.
I love the Newton ball.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-627.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I like that figure. It might be a bit on the small side, but I like the pose better than "stiff arm" Wolvie.

To find this one I would suggest searching "Wolverine Bust Paperweight" or "Wolverine Paperweight" on Ebay or Amazon. A few for around the $24 mark. It seemed Amazon had a slightly better price...especially if you have Prime.

For the other, bigger Wolvie figure you should search "Wolverine Titan Figure". These range from $9 to $414 (SMH...what are some sellers thinking with their buy it now prices), but you should be able to find one in the $25 area.

I bought one of the paperweight models for when the captive ball solution is ready.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I like that figure. It might be a bit on the small side, but I like the pose better than "stiff arm" Wolvie.
To find this one I would suggest searching "Wolverine Bust Paperweight" or "Wolverine Paperweight" on Ebay or Amazon. A few for around the $24 mark. It seemed Amazon had a slightly better price...especially if you have Prime.
For the other, bigger Wolvie figure you should search "Wolverine Titan Figure". These range from $9 to $414 (SMH...what are some sellers thinking with their buy it now prices), but you should be able to find one in the $25 area.
I bought one of the paperweight models for when the captive ball solution is ready.

The one I mounted was the wolverine paperweight. It looks good. I think the one Judremy recommended maybe better. I ordered one of the Wolverine Titan Figures for $14 on Amazon.

#174 8 years ago

Can't recall what it was but the figure in post #1 is a good size.

I planned on cutting him at the waist but I haven't got around to it.

For a laugh I made "pole dancing Wolvie" and stuck him on with Blu-Tack (gummy stuff for putting posters on the wall) and he's still sitting there months later, sweet and sound.

rd.

1 week later
#175 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Can't recall what it was but the figure in post #1 is a good size.
I planned on cutting him at the waist but I haven't got around to it.
For a laugh I made "pole dancing Wolvie" and stuck him on with Blu-Tack (gummy stuff for putting posters on the wall) and he's still sitting there months later, sweet and sound.
rd.

Yeah...the Wolvie on your first post looks like he might look good if you can get him hacked off. His arms look like they could be posed well and you might be able to touch up his arm joints after you got him posed like you want to cover up / blend in the articulation points a bit.

@ TomGWI: Did the Wolvie come right off of the base on your paperweight bust or did you have to cut it off? I got mine in, but didn't tear into the package yet. I was just wonder what kinda work I had ahead of me.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yeah...the Wolvie on your first post looks like he might look good if you can get him hacked off. His arms look like they could be posed well and you might be able to touch up his arm joints after you got him posed like you want to cover up / blend in the articulation points a bit.
@ TomGWI: Did the Wolvie come right off of the base on your paperweight bust or did you have to cut it off? I got mine in, but didn't tear into the package yet. I was just wonder what kinda work I had ahead of me.

Mine did come off the base easily. Not sure if it was suppose too.

#177 8 years ago

I got the mod prior to its pulled - I used the original switch just had to bend the crap out of it, that was actually my main reason for getting rid of the oversized toy, the freaking consistency was just terrible. So far just in tests its working great, Not sure why MEZ would not just make the bracket a little less in size and the extra clearance should let any switch work.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I got the mod prior to its pulled - I used the original switch just had to bend the crap out of it, that was actually my main reason for getting rid of the oversized toy, the freaking consistency was just terrible. So far just in tests its working great, Not sure why MEZ would not just make the bracket a little less in size and the extra clearance should let any switch work.

Or he could just use a standard switch like the one in my first post ... ??

rd.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd.

Yup that as well - I did not read all of the posts, I found this thread one day and said my favorite game can be fixed thank you MEZ then found out not so fast but the solution did look easy as pie and as of right now the game is improved but could be printed just a little better.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd.

Dave, send me that part number! I'm really trying to put this one to bed.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Dave, send me that part number! I'm really trying to put this one to bed.

Timbo, don't have one as it was just an old one I had around. Just an old Williams one.

I'm sure we posted some links to them from pinball life at the start of the thread.

This one would probably work.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2097

The back of your plastic base would need to be cut back a little to use it. See my first post.

rd.

#182 8 years ago

Tmezel, I haven't forgot. I just have a baby and a demanding job. I will try to post the dimensions of the switch I have today.

If you drill out the rivet on the one posted by rotodave, those should work too. That is basically what I did for mine.

#183 8 years ago

Why drill anything? Get the switch. Screw it on. Easy!!

If the bracket is too long, file it smaller. Easy!

Life is easy!

rd.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Why drill anything? Get the switch. Screw it on. Easy!!
If the bracket is too long, file it smaller. Easy!
Life is easy!

rd.

I didn't know if he wanted to change the design. But yeah, if he can edit the shape and add the indent that you notched out, that would probably work best. Can you measure how far in you notched it so he can make the adjustment?

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I didn't know if he wanted to change the design. But yeah, if he can edit the shape and add the indent that you notched out, that would probably work best. Can you measure how far in you notched it so he can make the adjustment?

Nah, it'll depend on what switch you end up getting.

I presume you have the size for the slot, just work backwards from there.

rd.

#186 8 years ago

I don't want a design change. I need a plug and play switch.

#187 8 years ago

Well, the switch I used (which is the one rotodave posted with the target rivet drilled out, works good.
The switch I had linked to at Marcos (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5133-00) with no target cover should work if the front blade is 2.5" in length from top to bottom (not counting the part you solder to).

If you go with the one rotodave posted, Two things need to be done:

One, you must remove the diode. Already one later in the line.

Two, you need to swap the back and front wafer or use washers to space it back enough so the target isn't pressures back. I did it tonight with another switch (like root dave linked to), and it takes all of 5 minutes.

#188 8 years ago

If someone can contact Marcos and ask what the height (from bottom of wafer to top of longest blade is and the configuration of the blades and wafers, we might be able to use the switch I linked to in my last post.

2 weeks later
#189 8 years ago

The kit is available again from TMezel at the link below:

http://mezelmods.com/collections/x-men/products/x-men-wolverine-newton-bracket

Make sure to get the whole kit if you don't want to track down the pieces and target switch yourself.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The kit is available again from TMezel at the link below:
http://mezelmods.com/collections/x-men/products/x-men-wolverine-newton-bracket
Make sure to get the whole kit if you don't want to track down the pieces and target switch yourself.

Ordered it last night.Thanks for all of your hard work. XMENLE is currently my favotite game. I'm excited to see how it plays with the original design in place!

#191 8 years ago

For any that doubted that an early white wood had the captive ball, see the pic below:
xmen captive ball.pngxmen captive ball.png
xmen captive ball2.pngxmen captive ball2.png

Link to the source video:

#192 8 years ago

And then they realized it wouldn't work with that ginormous Wolverine model so they changed it.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

And then they realized it wouldn't work with that ginormous Wolverine model so they changed it.

Probably not correct. If you see, there is no magnet in front of Wolverine. So they probably designed the bash toy to take up less space front to back, but didn't correctly plan the left to right too well. Regardless, the figure is a fail and plays worse than what the original design had.

#194 8 years ago

You are right. I didn't notice it was missing the magnet. They probably figured the magnet was more fun.

#195 8 years ago

IMHO the game is one of pinballs greatest games.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

You are right. I didn't notice it was missing the magnet. They probably figured the magnet was more fun.

The magnet tossing the ball perfectly down the left outlane on ball 3 in the grand final of the Australian Pinball Expo Champs is not my definition of "fun".

rd.

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Favorite in my lineup and I've got a few decent pins...

1 month later
#199 8 years ago

I have an LE and got one of Tim's newton bracket sets about 5 1/2 months ago.

Getting ready to put it on, but thinking I remember reading that a new or better bracket was produced after I bought mine.

Should I mod my game with the bracket I have or try to get a newer one (if they exist)?

Robert

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have an LE and got one of Tim's newton bracket sets about 5 1/2 months ago.
Getting ready to put it on, but thinking I remember reading that a new or better bracket was produced after I bought mine.
Should I mod my game with the bracket I have or try to get a newer one (if they exist)?
Robert

I was one of the "designers" and I don't think changes were made to the bracket. There were changes made to the switch that was used. I believe he was sending new ones to anyone who had the old switches. You may want to PM him and ask.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judremys-xmen-wolverine-solution-with-gameplay/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.