DSC07466.JPG
DSC07443.JPG
DSC07441.JPG
DSC07445.JPG
DSC07440.JPG
DSC07435.JPG
DSC07434.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PTHermes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all, I just picked up a W?D and like many, the slot reel hubs are cracked. I am working on having some replacements made from new Acrylic (AKA Plexi-glass). If they work out on my machine I can have more sets made, just wondering how much interest there would be out there in community for a part like this.

#10 9 years ago

OK everyone, thanks for the interest. I am probably about 1 month out from having the prototypes done, I'll post some pics after I get them mocked up.

2 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Just a quick update, parts are designed and the prototype run of 6 reels is on order. It will be a 3-piece design, center hub made of aluminum to attach to the motor via set-screw, Plexi hub and Plexi tub.

Does anyone know if the opto-sensor can see through the plexi, or is the "notch" in the original required for it to function properly?

Should have pics in 3-4 weeks with my current work schedule.

#17 9 years ago

I guess I am just questioning if the label is enough to trip the opto or if I will need to notch the plexiglass. I will do some experimenting with masking tape. I have 2 weeks before I get the center hubs.

1 week later
#26 9 years ago

A couple in process teasers . Still waiting on the aluminum center hub to attach to the motor
The wheels are about 1/8" wider so the decal won't be "over" the hub area. Going to have to do a really good job securing the wires so they don't interfere.DSC07434.JPGDSC07434.JPGDSC07435.JPGDSC07435.JPG

#28 9 years ago

Also for anyone repairing the slot machine; if the decals are installed properly the numbers in the corners get covered up, here is a picture of the proper wheel order based on the seams being aligned.DSC07440.JPGDSC07440.JPG

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Nice, did the opto read the plexi or do you need a notch?

Since I don't have the hub yet I can't attach and perform the trial.

2 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

Update pictures, the thinnest acrylic tube I could get was 1/8" wall and it doesn't fit through the opto-switch. I will be turning down the inner diameter as soon as I can get some open time on the lathe at work, probably a week or so for the next trial.
Update pics, cemented together and with hubs:DSC07443.JPGDSC07443.JPGDSC07441.JPGDSC07441.JPGDSC07445.JPGDSC07445.JPG

1 week later
#37 9 years ago

I finished up the set yesterday, just got them installed tonight, but they aren't working properly yet. Since I was afraid to waste a set of decals I just coped them onto standard paper and used some packaging tape to put them on. With this set-up, the opto trips like crazy in the test menu; and just spins forever on a slot spin. Going to have to try to cut the notches out and maybe try some masking tape instead of packaging tape to see if it can block the opto-switch better.

2 weeks later
#38 9 years ago

Update: The opto-switch was reading through the paper in some areas; used some painters tape for the 1/4" that passes through the opto-switch. Got the first set working 95%. The center wheel lines up on the line 100% of the time, but the other wheels go slightly past center and the symbol is correct, but just past the center line. I'll get some more pics over the next couple of weeks.

#40 9 years ago

@Methos - I am going to try another copy of the decals to ensure I aligned the notches perfectly, next I am going to try swapping motors to see if maybe they need to be replaced. Judging by the wire colors on the middle motor it is newer, or at least different. I am leaning towards it being the motors because each symbol seems to repeat it's location, but they aren't all equally below the line; if that makes sense.

I am getting very close, but with how much machining is required on the plastic they won't be cheap to make.

1 week later
#41 9 years ago

After some trial and error I have successfully made a full set of wheels! Slot is matching the DMD 100%, Wheels 1 & 2 line up perfect, Wheel three is slightly off, like maybe 1/8" away from being on the line. While I was at it I replaced all three motors per this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/15-who-dunnit-and-scared-stiff-motors worked out great. I still only have a "copy" of the decals installed with packaging tape over the wheels; looks good enough that I may just leave it. I will have to get some video this week.

2 weeks later
#45 9 years ago

Got a set done and functioning 100%!!!
DSC07476.JPGDSC07476.JPG
DSC07466.JPGDSC07466.JPG
DSC07468.JPGDSC07468.JPG
DSC07467.JPGDSC07467.JPG
In order to get the optos to read the slot properly I had two options, a darker color, or use the replacement decals I ordered. The replacement decals don't compare to the originals - it really shows on the extra ball.
DSC07473.JPGDSC07473.JPG
DSC07474.JPGDSC07474.JPG
I also had to slot the optos a little in order to get the wheels to fit properly.
DSC07459.JPGDSC07459.JPG
So I photoshopped the background to purple, printed it on gloss paper, and used packaging tape to attach to the wheels, I think they turned out great.DSC07455.JPGDSC07455.JPG

Videos here (sorry LEDs don't work well with GoPro):

1 month later
#49 9 years ago

I've got one extra set of these available for $90 + shipping. Send me a message.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PTHermes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judging-interest-wd-who-dunnit-slot-reels-new-design-reproduction?tu=PTHermes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.