You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0549s.jpg
DSCN0544s.jpg
DSCN0494.JPG
DSCN0892.JPG
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from madcow:

Love my Dredd, I'd only trade mine for Attack from Mars or Medieval Madness maybe.

madcow, don't do it, unless you were to then sell the other machine to buy more Dredds!

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Question - every single one I play seems to have unusual flippers - they sound and act different from other B/W games...anybody else notice this?

The game has TONS of metal on it, and it is by far the "clunkiest" game that I know of. I think a big part of the noise comes from everything on that game being so loud, although it fits the theme to me.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The game has TONS of metal on it

You are not kidding.

I don't know what you are talking about being the

Quoted from goatdan:

I think a big part of the noise comes from everything on that game being so loud

Do you play with the glass off? DSCN0494.JPGDSCN0494.JPG

#54 11 years ago

When the ball gets to the end of a ramp, it hits a big metal thing. When the ball drops from a ramp, it hits big ol' metal inlanes. When the VUK kicks the ball onto the top of the Sniper tower, it slams it into the metal ramp. When the ball drops into the subway, it gets a big metal clunk.

While some games have maybe one of these features, I can't name one that has nearly as much stuff that goes "clunk" in it. I think it's actually quite the cool feature.

Oh, and side note - if you want to do what I think is a must-do "mod" on JD, replace the 6 black star posts around the slingshots with yellow ones. It will greatly brighten up the bottom of the playfield. Even John Trudeau told me he liked the look of the yellow ones more!

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

When the ball gets to the end of a ramp, it hits a big metal thing. When the ball drops from a ramp, it hits big ol' metal inlanes. When the VUK kicks the ball onto the top of the Sniper tower, it slams it into the metal ramp. When the ball drops into the subway, it gets a big metal clunk.

Turn the volume up and listen to the fine soundtrack instead!

#56 11 years ago

Understood!!

must-do "mod" on JD, replace the 6 black star posts around the slingshots with yellow ones.

That is a good idea and also change the "subway" to yellow or clear.

DSCN0544s.jpgDSCN0544s.jpg DSCN0549s.jpgDSCN0549s.jpg

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The game has TONS of metal on it, and it is by far the "clunkiest" game that I know of. I think a big part of the noise comes from everything on that game being so loud, although it fits the theme to me.

Agreed. My wife says it sounds/feels "industrial grade", which I think is a good way to describe it. I did replace the board on the left side with the Great Lakes replacement - it works but they feel/sound heavy duty. I have played a few other games and they all felt like this.

I am surprised this game is still so cheap - but maybe it's performance on the route explains a bit of that.

#58 11 years ago

Cheap to get I hear.. too bad there's no spare part widely available. I've been searching for playfield plastics for weeks for my JD.

#59 11 years ago

The theme likely didn't help JD on route, pretty geeky. But those old JD comics are awesome and it's pretty cool that the playfield and overall look match the comics so well.

#60 11 years ago

I think JD is an excellent game. It's got great flow - feels more like a Steve Ritchie game to me.

It's a good game to work on multiball control. If you just flail around when multiball hits, this game probably won't appeal to you, but where it really shines is during multiball if you are controlling the balls well.

I must be one of the few who doesn't like the Deadworld mod. I don't think the aesthetic value of having the balls "orbit" isn't worth the hacked up code that disables other features and forces the game to be on free play only. I'm against any mod which cripples game functionality, and I think the Deadworld mod also makes the game easier since it staggers the introduction of balls during multiball when it seems more in line with the theme to dump them all at once and create havoc.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I think JD is an excellent game. It's got great flow - feels more like a Steve Ritchie game to me.
It's a good game to work on multiball control. If you just flail around when multiball hits, this game probably won't appeal to you, but where it really shines is during multiball if you are controlling the balls well.
I must be one of the few who doesn't like the Deadworld mod. I don't think the aesthetic value of having the balls "orbit" isn't worth the hacked up code that disables other features and forces the game to be on free play only. I'm against any mod which cripples game functionality, and I think the Deadworld mod also makes the game easier since it staggers the introduction of balls during multiball when it seems more in line with the theme to dump them all at once and create havoc.

What other features are disabled when the Deadworld mod is installed?

#62 11 years ago

I am learning a ton about this game I did not know..I might want to give it another try..

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am surprised this game is still so cheap - but maybe it's performance on the route explains a bit of that.

If a game sucks on route, people don't remember it. Therefore, people don't go out seeking it. Or, if it sucked when you played it when you were 15, do you really want to get it now? Doubtful.

Why is MM the most expensive game? Because it was on route everywhere, earned great (people played it) and stayed on route for YEARS - there are still a number out around here. TAF is worth so much because it was everywhere. Nostalgia definitely plays a part, it is MUCH less of a risk to buy a game you knew you liked then one that you never played.

Oh, and the SuperGame with how it is set up is totally and completely useless. Too bad too, as ONE simple rule tweak and it could have been twice as awesome.

#64 11 years ago

Like the yellow posts, will be changing mine. I went with white rubber, hate the black. Sure Megacity 1 is dark and violent but the pin doesn't have to be.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Oh, and the SuperGame with how it is set up is totally and completely useless. Too bad too, as ONE simple rule tweak and it could have been twice as awesome.

Whats wrong with SuperGame?

#66 11 years ago

If you have kids or kids play super game they love it, multiball and lots off it. Supergame is good for clearing the trough so balls aren't sitting making divots. I think it is different enough from the regular to be fun, now if that was the main game then we got a problem.

#67 11 years ago

I've had the game a few months now. The modes are great and have a good verity of shots to hit. And add the humor: bad impersonator "get off the stage", stakeout "hmm whats going on here" I love playing them all. Multiball is good and very hard to get all the judges. Only thing lacking in the rules is a better wizard mode.

The game really shines with the art and the music. Two of the main reasons I bought the game.

As they get compared very often, I think DM has better flow, and some shots on JD feel clunky at times. But the whole package is a very good game.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Absolutely nothing. Its one of the things that make this game so special. It takes some adrenaline to throw down on. Sometimes you can even work up a sweat. Too many nitpickers got to find pointless things wrong with it. Have fun. Push the green button, knock down the 5 drop targets, go for the hundred million, and see how much stamina you have. This is no Addams Family!

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

Like the yellow posts, will be changing mine. I went with white rubber, hate the black. Sure Megacity 1 is dark and violent but the pin doesn't have to be.

Hmm...I am a tradionalist - so not sure about removing the black star posts. Isn't part of the theme of the game supposed to be dark?

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Hmm...I am a tradionalist - so not sure about removing the black star posts. Isn't part of the theme of the game supposed to be dark?

The black posts suck. Yellow looks much better.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I played one again last night for the 4th time and I just can't seem to get into it..is this normal and takes awhile to appreciate it?

Thanks
Lisa

Lisa, are you sorry you asked?

#72 11 years ago

I just got done playing my judge dredd. I am just blown away by it now. I didn't realize you could change the mode. Changes the game so much and I feel stupid that I have owned it for almost a year and didn't know about it.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

SuperGame starts with the player in one of four different multi-ball scenarios. It is always a two-ball mode, and depending on if you can drop the five drop targets, you get six balls and unlock a Jackpot shot.

The issue is that there are four different modes, and it's totally random on which ones you get. Some of them have Jackpot shots that are MUCH easier than others. If the likelihood that you have to get a high score in a game is predominantly based on the luck of which modes the game starts for you when you have *no* control over this, it's a huge flaw. It's particularly annoying because JD gives you such strategy being able to change the modes in the regular game.

If they made it that you played through the same three modes, or you had four modes but you were able to influence which mode you played when, it would be decent. Games like TAF or JP that are mode based make you play the same first one, and then you can influence which mode you are playing in some way, even if it is still sort of random. SuperGame doesn't give you that option.

Quoted from o-din:

Too many nitpickers got to find pointless things wrong with it.

I don't think I'm nitpicking it at all. The regular game of JD is good enough to be one of the best strategic games of the 90s I think, but if you are playing for points - which is why I personally play pinball - there is absolutely no point to playing SuperGame. If a huge scoring issue is a "nitpick" with a game, then the majority of the games that I dislike I only dislike because of "nitpicky" things like the fact that their scoring systems have major flaws.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from drwicket:

I just got done playing my Judge Dredd. I am just blown away by it now. I didn't realize you could change the mode. Changes the game so much and I feel stupid that I have owned it for almost a year and didn't know about it.

Me either..that might have helped when I was testing them out.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from MrMoss:

Cheap to get I hear.. too bad there's no spare part widely available. I've been searching for playfield plastics for weeks for my JD.

Finally someone who is still trying to find some playfield plastics the only luck i found is the slingshots and clear plastics all i "flippin" need is is the mega city hall if justuce searching the web for every day for the past 12 days no luck well. Eventually one will pop up

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The issue is that there are four different modes, and it's totally random on which ones you get. Some of them have Jackpot shots that are MUCH easier than others. If the likelihood that you have to get a high score in a game is predominantly based on the luck of which modes the game starts for you when you have *no* control over this, it's a huge flaw.

In multiplayer supergame every player gets the same mode so scoring is not unbalanced. I guess I dont really care about single player scoring

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from drwicket:

I just got done playing my Judge Dredd. I am just blown away by it now. I didn't realize you could change the mode. Changes the game so much and I feel stupid that I have owned it for almost a year and didn't know about it.

Whoa! Yeah man it changes everything... hopefully you will rack up more points now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dreddwhat-am-i-not-getting/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.