New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 254302)

Judge Dredd Won't Boot

By MiamiRedSkin

12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1012 (resized).jpg
IMG_1011 (resized).jpg
IMG_1009 (resized).jpg
IMG_1010 (resized).jpg
IMG_1008 (resized).jpg
IMG_1007 (resized).jpg
IMG_1006 (resized).jpg
IMG_1005 (resized).jpg
IMG_1004 (resized).jpg
IMG_1001 (resized).jpg
IMG_1002 (resized).jpg
IMG_1003 (resized).jpg

#1 12 months ago

Hi All -

I have a JD that I recently picked up that won't complete its' boot sequence. I have uploaded a video below. The battery holder was coroded, so I thought that if I removed it and neutralized the area (there didn't seem to be any real 'leakage') it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, not. I'm not super familiar with what all of the LED indicators on the boards mean, but maybe someone can help point me in the right direction. It gets to where it makes the 'dong' sound in the sequence, but doesn't progress to power on the GI/inserts, DMD, etc.

#2 12 months ago

Did you try re-seating the cable connectors?

#3 12 months ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Did you try re-seating the cable connectors?

yes - tried both ribbon and any other connector. no luck

#5 11 months ago

Can you take some hi res photos of the area below the battery holder? The chips directly below that area may be eaten up.

4 weeks later
#6 11 months ago

Finally got around to taking pictures of the CPU. Took a picture of the socketed chip below the battery holder. What I didn't anticipate was the jumpers on the underside of the board. Anything look out of the ordinary which would cause the issue?

IMG_1001 (resized).jpgIMG_1002 (resized).jpgIMG_1003 (resized).jpgIMG_1004 (resized).jpgIMG_1005 (resized).jpgIMG_1006 (resized).jpgIMG_1007 (resized).jpgIMG_1008 (resized).jpgIMG_1009 (resized).jpgIMG_1010 (resized).jpgIMG_1011 (resized).jpgIMG_1012 (resized).jpg
#7 11 months ago

Yes, that's a lot of corrosion/battery damage, especially around U20. It seems you have quite a few other WPC games with the same cpu, swap on in and test the game if it boots then you know the CPU is the culprit. If you don't have the skills to swap in new chips and components, I don't think it's a good idea to send it out for repair, at a minimum you're looking at 100 bucks for repair and 30 bucks for shipping, and it's still looks like crap after the repair. You might as well buy a used one off of ebay, (or even a new one) and swap over the ASIC chip and rom.

#8 11 months ago

Plug only the J210 to the MPU to see if it will boot. The corrosion at the bottom of the board damaged the switch matrix, but it should not keep it from booting up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside