Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
JD.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I'm a first time buyer and am deciding between these two. Judge is $300 more but has the deadworld mod and all LED lights. Frank is cheaper but does not have any mods or LEDs. I see that Judge has a slightly higher ratings, but have read that Frank is considered to be an underrated machine and one of the best Sega made.

After watching a few youtube videos, honestly they book look like a ton of fun...so, I figured asking others opinions would be best.

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Eric

#2 9 years ago

JD is better IMHO.
Sounds like a better value with deadworld mod done and LEDs.
Throw a colordmd in it and it's a stunner!

#3 9 years ago

JD by a mile. Can;t stand MSF layout and it's a bore to play.

#4 9 years ago

I never played Frankenstein, but if you're buying a Judge Dredd with a working deadworld mod already in that means the game has no errors which is a nice plus.

Also Dredd's Awesome!

#5 9 years ago

JD is awesome, better theme, ramps galore, and better art and sound IMO.

#6 9 years ago

MSF is very good for a Sega. I enjoyed owning it. It looked fantastic next to my Dracula.

Haven't played JD.

#7 9 years ago

MSF because Williams/Bally machines suck once you've played a few good DE/Sega/Stern's. The flippers and other features are too weak on Williams games and they feel like a child's toy.

The Sega games are brilliant, especially the ones with the large 192x64 screen like Batman Forever and Franky.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

MSF because Williams/Bally machines suck once you've played a few good DE/Sega/Stern's. The flippers and other features are too weak on Williams games and they feel like a child's toy.
The Sega games are brilliant, especially the ones with the large 192x64 screen like Batman Forever and Franky.

That's funny, my Judge Dredd flippers are way stronger than my Baywatch flippers.

#9 9 years ago

JD. MSF is a dog pin, IMHO.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

That's funny, my Judge Dredd flippers are way stronger than my Baywatch flippers.

Well one of them either has the wrong coils in it or Baywatch needs a flipper rebuild. Every late DE and Sega game I've played is wayyy more powerful that any Bally/Williams game even with the coil power set to "soft".

It's well documented that DE/Sega used more powerful flipper coils than anyone else.

#11 9 years ago

Thats funny as i believe most perfer the b/w flippers and are regarded as the best ever made but back on topic jd by a mile just alot more fun and 4 flippers and 4 ramps and other things . Also for only 300 more i would say a much better deal as jd has been selling quickly at 2500 lately

#12 9 years ago

I had a MSF for about 9 months and played it a lot and really liked it. The modes were fun and the theme is way better than JD. I would take horror over a comic book that i have never even heard of except for a bad Stallone movie. That being said JD has a lot more shots and ramps and probably would last longer in a small collection.

#13 9 years ago

Lots of great input so far, I appreciate all of your posts. If I did go with the MSF machine, how much would an upgrade to LED lights run on average? I live in a major city (suburbs outside St. Louis, MO USA) and there are plenty of pinball repair places who could do the job. Thanks!

#14 9 years ago

Dredd hands down!!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Erkulees1979:

Lots of great input so far, I appreciate all of your posts. If I did go with the MSF machine, how much would an upgrade to LED lights run on average? I live in a major city (suburbs outside St. Louis, MO USA) and there are plenty of pinball repair places who could do the job. Thanks!

Who knows because segas are a pain as you cant do it from underneath and have to etake everything off the top so im guessing if you can do it your self then around 350 400 including leds ? But it may be more as alot of theses places charge a ton

#16 9 years ago

So what condition are these pins in ? That matters also but I cant see you going wrong with jd if its as you say

#17 9 years ago

The seller says that Dredd has recently been serviced, got new balls, bumbers and LEDs but nothing about the pins. The MSF seller is only saying that all the lights work and that it runs without any issues. For $300 more, it sounds like Dredd is the better choice.

#18 9 years ago

Never played Frankenstein but I own a dredd and I'm really impressed with the quality of the machine, the rules are pretty cool and the sound/animation is great. The only complaint I have is I suck at it, it's tough game

#19 9 years ago

I say MSF. I've owned both pins....twice each. Sold JD and came back to Frank. I think it's a great pin. JD is not bad either, but enjoy MSF a bit more.

#20 9 years ago

PinFan4Life, what about MSF makes you like it more than Judge Dredd? Thank you for your opinion!

#21 9 years ago

My vote is for Dredd - you won't be dissapointed.

#22 9 years ago

The seller says that Dredd has recently been serviced, got new balls, bumbers and LEDs but nothing about the pins. The MSF seller is only saying that all the lights work and that it runs without any issues. For $300 more, it sounds like Dredd is the better choice.

I would find out some info as condition matters for when u grow tired of them and wanna trade or sell to get others .if you want pm me with your prices so I can help you and make sure your not getting taken advantage of and u sld definitely get pics ive had alot of pins that were all working and leds and what your saying but were in horrible condition and lost my butt on when the time came

#24 9 years ago

biddf1979, Dredd is for 2,300 and MSF is for 2,000 even...I'll ask about the pins!

#25 9 years ago

Sounds like a good number on jd if its in pretty good condition

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sounds like a good number on jd if its in pretty good condition

but... but... $1400.... LOL

#27 9 years ago

PinFan4Life, what about MSF makes you like it more than Judge Dredd? Thank you for your opinion!

Probably just a matter of personal preference. On my 2nd Judge Dredd, I got to the point where I just became tired of the audio and some of the repeated overplayed shots on the game. It did have good flow and there were a lot of combo shots. There's just something about MSF that brings me back to it. I like the audio and the modes are great. Love the 6 ball multiball and Frank toy with moving head and arms that launch to ball to start multi ball.

Again, I think both are good games that you likely can't go wrong with. Best of luck and enjoy whatever one you get!

#28 9 years ago

JD. By the way (do not think it has been mentioned) it is a wide body machine. Much more play area!

#29 9 years ago

JD.jpgJD.jpg

#30 9 years ago

Looks like the Judge Dredd one may be sold, so MSF may be the one to get now...anybody know any reason why I shouldn't get this one? I'm not particularly in a hurry to get one, just it seems like a great deal at $2,000 and I could always upgrade to LEDs myself.

#31 9 years ago

don't know your location, but if near Indianapolis, the MSF on CL for 2K is supposedly in poor condition

#32 9 years ago

that is the one actually! What did your source mean by poor condition? Thanks for the heads up!

Also, another one I saw that I liked was a "Strange Science" machine, but it's a little higher priced and I didn't see it listed on this sites top 100.

#33 9 years ago

Wait for another JD to show up.....or pay $1400 tops if the MSF is really nice.

#34 9 years ago

I don't remember the source but someone that looked at it said the game had several issues when they went to look at the game. It has been for sale for 2-3 months. MSF is a fun game if you find a nice example.

#35 9 years ago

Looks like the Judge Dredd one may be sold, so MSF may be the one to get now...anybody know any reason why I shouldn't get this one? I'm not particularly in a hurry to get one, just it seems like a great deal at $2,000 and I could always upgrade to LEDs myself.

Decent deal if in excellent ccondition and is shopped and has leds time u r done may have 2500 in it and for a first pin to led its a hard pin to do that as you can do it from underneath and youneed to tear the whole top down to do so .doesn't surprise me jd sold already been hot lately . If u are In no hurry hang around here for a little while and u will find a better deal and pin between 2 and 2500 to bad your not closer I help you out with your first pin. Are you set on them 2 titles or were u just getting what was available on cl ?

#36 9 years ago

that is the one actually! What did your source mean by poor condition? Thanks for the heads up!
Also, another one I saw that I liked was a "Strange Science" machine, but it's a little higher priced and I didn't see it listed on this sites top 100.

My advice is go play some pins or arcade versions and watch some tnt amusement you tube vids because top 100 is not the holy grail of the best game just opinions. Case in point flintstones and starship troopers are better than many on top 100 but not there in my opinion and many others. To bad u are not closer I thave a perfect first pin for someone like your self a nice players flintstones and my friend that bought my mint sst is looking to upgrade

#37 9 years ago

No, I didn't have any particular machine I wanted. I've played a number of various 90s machines and was just picking any theme looked like it would be a lot of fun. In this case, I may end up hanging around for a bit until I can get something more promising.

Any comments about the "Strange Science" machine?

#39 9 years ago

MSF is a $1400 game folks.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

because top 100 is not the holy grail of the best game just opinions.

I agree, the list here has been going for many years, but needs a reset.

It has WOZ at 23 (should be <top 5)
It has WPT at 187 (should be <top 50)

#41 9 years ago

Stange science is fun to play but gets old pretty quick but nice to have in a medium collection in my opinion and it can usually be had for 1200 but for your only pin probably not a good choice but in the end u like what u like . I let my emotions get best of me when buying my first pins and made some mistakes but ive leared to do research and sit and wait for the right deal . What is your budget and space limitations if you dont mind me asking if so I understand

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

See....I would put WOZ around 57, but I totally agree with you on WPT.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

Maybe not reset but u just need to look at the trends of the ratings and postion as you will see many bad ratings years ago and awesome ratings the last year

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Maybe not reset but u just need to look at the trends of the ratings and postion as you will see many bad ratings years ago and awesome ratings the last year

I think something should be done with all the old ratings of games. When those votes were cast, they were compared to the pinball machines available at that moment in time. Those 5-10 year old votes are not relevant now.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

I think something should be done with all the old ratings of games.

You could always go by your own ratings.

#46 9 years ago

I sold my MSF for $2,200 a month ago. It was in great shape. It was full of led's that cost about $100. This game is fun and I have never seen one go for $1,400 . Offer him $1,800 if the game is 100 % playing and in good overall shape. If you get tired of it and sell you will get your money back.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

MSF is a $1400 game folks.

LOL. Wish it was 2008 again.

#48 9 years ago

If MSF had Williams on it you could not buy it for $3400.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Caviar:

If MSF had Williams on it you could not buy it for $3400.

True but it would also be a much better game then

#50 9 years ago

Owned both. Absolutely no question JD wins...easily!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 85.00
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-vs-mary-shellys-frankenstein and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.