(Topic ID: 61217)

Judge Dredd vs Dirty Harry which is better and why?

By OldSchoolBlood

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mato
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game is better?”

• Judge Dredd 32 votes
    58%
  • Dirty Harry 23 votes
    42%

(55 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-2.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twilightzone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

JD is a bore fest. Seriously don't understand why it gets the love. Good looking game with a great layout that is totally underutilized. Most of the modes award very little points, so the only way to really get any points is to go for MB. Now collect all the judges and start the wizard mode. Doing it by completing the modes is risky with no reward and a total chore. I've had JD twice and sold it. Same thing each time. Love it for the first two weeks and then cann't wait to see it leave. If the rules ever get reworked the game could be killer. I love the layout. As it is.....dull.

DH is a blast to play. Tons of modes that utilize the playfield well. It's a great game for the skilled player -- side shot during MB gives 2x jackpot. Yet it's accessible for a newbie player as well -- hitting the warehouse during MB gives reg jackbot and it's a simple shot. The layout is fantastic and well utilized. The modes actually award good points so you can follow different approaches to get a good score. It's on my want list so I shouldn't talk it up

Cheers,
Duane

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Impartially:
Dirty Harry
- Current Pinside rank: #87
- Current IPDB rank: #198
Judge Dredd
- Current Pinside rank: #43
- Current IPDB rank: #21
That's quite a variance, probably owing to the difference between Pinside and IPDB formulas for the final score. Also, it seems that IPDB reviews must be approved, so IPDB is updated less often than Pinside and for that reason may discourage submission and thus may represent a smaller sampling of players.
Say what you will about the rankings, but I find the rankings to be roughly correct. For example, very few people would call out any of the top ten machines as bad.

I've been collecting since 1998 and have rarely seen a DH for sale locally and have never seen one on location anywhere until I went to PAPA last year. JD, on the other hand, seems to come up for sale quite often -- relatively speaking -- and there is always one at show.

I suspect more people have play time on JD. Also, first impressions are important. I'll be honest, JD is a great looking game while DH is not. I totally ignored DH for over 10 years. I just thought it looked like a crappy game. Once I played it and gave it a chance....Wow! Great game and still relatively cheap compared to other DMDs.

[Edit basically what Mato said, but more long winded ]

Cheers,
Duane

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twilightzone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-vs-dirty-harry-which-is-better-and-why?tu=twilightzone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.