• Latest reply 7 years ago by Firebaall
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0102 (resized).PNG
photo (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Firebaall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

I'd love the possibility of a gear set for these things. I've got two or three gearboxes I'd like to rebuild. When I asked Steve some time ago about just buying the gears separately, he said no.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

I would be stunned to hear that Bally/Williams had a custom made gear for this application. They likely used an off the shelf gear that was already available. Gears are so common for so many industries. Look at a supply company like Grainger (https://www.grainger.com) and see the available gears. Also, I would assume that Bally/Williams used the cheapest gear they could find, a few pennies in price actually mattered to them. But for one of us in the hobby paying an extra dollar or two for a high quality steel (or brass) gear would be no big deal, you could probably get a much better than original gear for a relatively low cost.
Even if you can't find a perfect replacement for the stripped gear you can probably find two new gears to put onto both shafts that are the correct matching diameter/tooth configuration so they will mesh with each other and replace the stripped gear and the gear that stripped it. Just make sure the two radiuses (sp?) of the gears add up to the right amount relative to the distance between the two gear shafts. So what if they are a slightly different ratio, the planet might end up spinning at 4.1 or 3.9 RPM instead of 4 RPM (or whatever it happens to spin at).
All of that said, for a single installation it might not be worth the time and effort to figure that out. Though for someone like Firebaall it might be worth while if you have a few you can repair.

It was actually custom ordered. I contacted the company that made them, asking for the the gears. They told me all the plans/parts were shipped off to one guy. He then gave me Steve's name and number.

#17 7 years ago

Yeah, I bought an extra gear box from a fellow Pinsider. It worked well enough, but there was a definite stutter that I observed during a power test. Rather than put a mostly working part in, I thought it would be better to rebuild.

...now I just have to get around to packing up and sending them away.

Has anybody checked to see what's the deal with the new Marco part? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7985

"new design" it says. I'm not sure what that means exactly. I wonder if they would sell the whole gear set separately??? Nobody seems to be talking about this item.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Firebaall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-stripped-gear?tu=Firebaall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.