Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RampShot11
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2015-04-25 18.18.19.jpg
2015-04-25 18.18.24.jpg
Ramp break.png

#1 4 years ago

Hello all,

I have a question that might not only concern my JD. I noticed that the plastic ramp that feeds in the left inlane was broken off entirely of the metal bracket it was attached to. See the attachment for reference picture. This was before the break, I do not have a better one at the moment.

Ramp break.png.

What concerns me is that this not only causes the ball to sometimes bounce off in weird ways and even drain in the right outlane, it also seems like a weak point. The ball smashes usually with high speed in the metal bracket, pulling on the plastic ramp. Before the break I did try placing several brands of drop-dead foam on these points before, but those made the balls bump back and fall off so I took them off.

What could I do best to solve this? A new ramp would be costly, and frankly, it could break again in the same way. Are there people who fixed this with a nice metal protector extending further on the ramp?

#2 4 years ago

Cliffy makes a ramp patch kit. Grab that!

#3 4 years ago

That.. is exactly what I'd need. Thanks! I'll look into it. I might even try making it myself as Cliffy stuff is not exactly local for me.

#4 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with most JD's out there. Mine is broke too but I've never noticed bad effects in game play. Keep us posted with your fix/solution.

#5 4 years ago

Here's the page on Cliffy's site with info on the patch kit: http://www.passionforpinball.com/dreddpro.htm

#6 4 years ago

On his site the fix kind of looks bad. I think it's the glue. I think mine would look better since the crack is pretty clean. I guess I can make it with some thin steel plate pretty easy.

#7 4 years ago

I have the exact clean break on my Dredd ramp. After ordering and installing the Cliffy mod, no more airball drains like you mentioned. It's difficult to adjust the two pieces to fit exactly together, but game play isn't affected. A nice solution until a reproduction ramp materializes.

#8 4 years ago

There is a video on YouTube where a guy uses a rubber grommet then tightens down the last screw there and has the grommet as a washer so to speak and it takes almost all the shock out of the ball smashing against the metal at the end there. I'm gonna definitely do that when I put mine back together.
Btw: my grammar school english teacher would be very embarrassed of that terrible run on sentence.

1 month later
#9 4 years ago

Well, here's what I have done to fix the problem: I mounted a custom piece of thin steel behind the ramp. I made it so it will mount on the screw of the ball-stopper, and two screws fix the plate to the ramp a little further on. The screws are mounted below the ball so they won't interfere.

I found the broken off plastic again and just glued that on there. Might even make another piece of steel in the future that can go on the front so the damage is out of sight. For now, this works very good.

2015-04-25 18.18.24.jpg 2015-04-25 18.18.19.jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Well, here's what I have done to fix the problem: I mounted a custom piece of thin steel behind the ramp. I made it so it will mount on the screw of the ball-stopper, and two screws fix the plate to the ramp a little further on. The screws are mounted below the ball so they won't interfere.
I found the broken off plastic again and just glued that on there. Might even make another piece of steel in the future that can go on the front so the damage is out of sight. For now, this works very good.

2015-04-25 18.18.24.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
2015-04-25 18.18.19.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Nicely done!!! Very resourceful.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 37.50
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside