Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Why has, in the last two weeks, discussion on this game shot through the moon. I know the new movie was really good, but this is now (by a wide margin) the most talked about game on pinside . . . was there a joke or something that I missed?

Just trying to catch up. Cool looking game and all.

#2 11 years ago

FotM. That isn't a negative thing either. Lots of people own it and like it, start to talk aboot it which gets other owners to start talking aboot it etc etc. snowball city.
Other than price raising I like FotM games...good to hear some diff'rent games getting some pub.

#3 11 years ago

its an awesome game with lots to do. I got one. started talking about it.
tamoore has one and loves it.
o-din has 3 or four or something. loves it and talks about it all the time.

It is just finally getting some much needed attention.

#4 11 years ago

Game of the month club. A week or two it will be something else.

Or someone manipulating the market and has one for sale.

Or people like a game without pop bumpers.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or people like a game without pop bumpers.

Maybe so...I see NF has made a 1 place Jump and hopefully away from the top 100+. Looks like Tranformers pro fell down bumping it up.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe so...I see NF has made a 1 place Jump and hopefully away from the top 100+. Looks like Tranformers pro fell down bumping it up.

The Shadow is looking good in the rankings too...

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just trying to catch up. Cool looking game and all.

IMO- Twenty years ago I thought this was the ultimate pin! And now in this era of $20,000 Medieval Madness, $8,000 Addams Family, and NIB Stern prices going through the roof, at $1400 Judge Dredd is still the ultimate pin!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

IMO- Twenty years ago I thought this was the ultimate pin! And now in this era of $20,000 Medieval Madness, $8,000 Addams Family, and NIB Stern prices going through the roof, at $1400 Judge Dredd is still the ultimate pin!

For the price JD does have great value!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

tamoore has one and loves it.

He has mine (at least he lives nearby)

Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

o-din has 3 or four or something. loves it and talks about it all the time.

And he posts more than anyone on pinside

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

And he posts more than anyone on pinside

Me thinks somebodys got me beat!

#11 11 years ago

I think that the most talked about list is purely a metric of how many times a game's 'pinball auto link™' is used. So it's not really a good indicator of overall discussion about a game because owner's threads, for example, rarely have comments referencing the game. It's more of an indicator of how many new discussions there are about a game, not so much continuing discussion.

JD Judge Dredd JD Judge Dredd

#12 11 years ago

Of course a 20 year old pin probably won't remain the most talked about pin. But it might remain near the top 10 for a while.
I say it all the time, JD is just such a great home use game these days for a variety of reasons I won't go into again.
& what makes up much of this forum? People who love their home games. So do a little math & it makes sense that JD gets some action around here.
Also there is a buzz around it because it is an all time great game, yet can cost a fraction of other great games from that same era. Unless that changes, there should always be buzz around a game like this.

#13 11 years ago

I agree, the game is great. I just sold mine and I do miss it. But I think I want my next game to be a lot deeper, with more rules, modes and variance. I love JD and a may get one again, but I do feel it is easy to master. But there is so much to love about it, it is nearly a perfect game. It would be cool if you could press the SUPERGAME button and it turn into a game with a deep rule set like TSPP.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

I agree, the game is great. I just sold mine and I do miss it. But I think I want my next game to be a lot deeper, with more rules, modes and variance. I love JD and a may get one again, but I do feel it is easy to master. But there is so much to love about it, it is nearly a perfect game. It would be cool if you could press the SUPERGAME button and it turn into a game with a deep rule set like TSPP.

What games out there are "a lot" deeper than JD? Unless your definition of "deep" is different than mine, I think the last thing JD is is 'not deep enough'.
& with Supergame, you actually do get 4 all new modes.
& as for it being easy to master, again I'm wondering if we are talking about the same game here. My JD is a real bitch to master. Huge gap between flippers, some real challenging shots, & I've owned the game going on 5 years & still haven't mastered it or accomplished everything I would like to.
Difficulty is one of the reasons I like the game, tons of replay value.

I have to wonder if your old JD has easy ROM settings, wasn't cleaned up to play as fast as it should, or didn't have a large enough incline. Cuz I really can't think of many other pins that have challenged me as much as JD has.

#15 11 years ago

I think JD doesn't seem deep because all the modes are timed and non-stackable, and there are no non-timed goals apart from crime scenes and ball locks.

You're right, though, it's easy to discount Supergame which has four multiball modes. How many games have seven possible multiball modes!? Blackout, Regular MB, Ultimate Challenge, 4 Supergames.

I think the depth is in how you choose to progress through the modes. With two shots that start modes (instead of a single shot like JP's Control Room) there is strategy in picking the best modes for the currently-lit mode start shot.

For example Pursuit is best started from the Sniper Tower because it feeds to the left flipper for a quick shot to the right ramp. If you make it quickly enough then you'll blow up the car in one shot. Or Manhunt is best started from the left ramp.

Then there is strategy in picking the best opportunity for that risky 2x bonus shot. And ensuring you keep as many crime scenes lit as possible to earn fortuitous EBs.

#16 11 years ago

There are a few reasons the game is so hot right now:
1. It's simply fantastic
2. A few have traded hands lately, and new people are realizing how great the game is
3. The new movie may have sparked a bit of interest
4. Great value for money; there's a lot of game there and it's at the low end of the Bally/Williams DMD price range.
5. Complexity/depth.

#17 11 years ago

Heres a Judge Dredd question- why isn't Judge Dredd in any of these so-called top ten lists? I'll tell you why- because we are too busy playing and enjoying this fine machine to worry about where its ranked. We don't fn care! Ha ha ha!

#18 11 years ago

what really puzzles me is how I can love JD so much, and hate CFTBL so much. same designer.

#19 11 years ago

Rob,

Mine was actually dialed in perfectly, clean and lightning fast. It was a blast to play. My comments were not to downgrade the game because I sold it. In my opinion, it is still the best game I have played and you can see all of the games that I have played and rated in my profile.

It just began to feel to me like I had done everything...many many times. You are right Accidental, it does not feel deep. It is incredibly fun and satisfying but it is not deep.

#20 11 years ago

JD is a dark horse in the pinball mix. Quite affordable for what it is (DMD Widebody), great looking playfield, cool guitar riff and tough-guy feel to it. Some may consider the extra-ball buy-in to be cheating, but I love the ominous "Prepare to face the imortallllllllll" that one of the judges utters when you start multiball (the buy-in initiates multiball). Guests like the Supergame a lot, since it's a multiball-fest, which is pretty cool too.

It's the only pin I bought non-working and did a full shop-out and track-down of each problem to bring it back to life. I actually have yet to take the time to play it extensively to really get a feel for it, so it usually kicks my ass (darn you outlanes!!).

Glad it's getting a lot of attention lately.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

what really puzzles me is how I can love JD so much, and hate CFTBL so much. same designer.

20 years ago I had the same opinion, I wanted all my pins to have at least 6 balls and be smoking fast, but as I may not have mellowed with age, I have learned to appreciate style, and CFTBL is one stylish machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.