pingear2.jpg
pinbear.jpg
gearweld.jpg
2gears.jpg
3.gif
back_togeather.jpg
weld.jpg
stoveweld.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TrevixClemson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 9 years ago

To remove it do you pretty much have to take the entire area apart? On the topside I have the rings removed, the bulbs out, etc, but on the underside do I need to remove all the plastics, other brackets, and everything to remove the gearbox assembly? It seems like the mounting screws are in an awkward place or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

#49 9 years ago

Thank you for all the awesome replies! I will be removing it tonight. The rest of the Dredd looks to be in good shape other than a hauling mishap. I seem to have done something to the DMD because now it hums pretty loud and has waves in it. I want to get a color DMD anyway so it isn't a huge concern. Not as big as the deadworld issue anyways...

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

Hauling mishap , ?

Yeah, I figure I hit a few bumps pretty hard cruising at 100+ on the way back from Dallas to make a 7:30pm ballet with my wife. I should have strapped the head down in hindsight because I heard it rise and slam down once or twice. It was working fine when I tested it out, when I got it home it was kinda funky. I turned it off and started reseating the first connectors I saw, turned it back on and it was significantly better, but still has some waves when it gets to high motion frames.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Did you end up taking your Deadworld apart and fixing it? If so what method did you use to repair it and do you have anything to share about your repair? I'm getting ready to do mine and feel I could use all the help and tips that I can get.

I actually have not had a chance to get into it. I removed a closet in my gameroom to add more space (about 6 feet in depth) and it ended up being much more... involved... than I had planned. I do construction for a living and it was still a bitch.

I ordered rubbers, superbands, spotlights, an LED strip and new balls that should be here by Friday and I will order a new ramp next payday (sucker is expensive at $250). I will have the gearbox out by this weekend and I'll take some pix of whatever route I decide to go. I have the rings off and bulbs out already. If the gearbox is not opened up I may send it off to that dude in new york for repair. If it has been opened I will probably pin everything together since I have all the tools (press, drill press, etc.) at my disposal.

10 months later
#71 8 years ago

Ive gotta thank all yall. I finally got around to fixing the gear and the pin method worked like a charm. Plus it was very easy with the correct tools.

2 weeks later
#74 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I have a few questions about this fix. I am not very handy with this type of thing but will have someone that is helping me.
Where do I get those pins, is there a certain size or length I should be looking for?

I picked up 1/8" pins from O'reilly's Autoparts. They were too long at 3/4", but it was easy to grind them down flush. I also used red locktite on the ends to ensure they never work loose.

Quoted from ziz:

When I open the gearbox, how do I remove that specific shaft and gears, how is it held in place?

The box is held together by rivets, which are easy to drill out and remove, once you open the box, the gears are on the shafts, which fit into small holders in the top and bottom casings. You just remove the parts one by one until you get that one out; I removed everything and cleaned it all very well with carb cleaner. After all the work was done, I greased each part individually with white high temp, extra long life gun grease. It is expensive stuff, but it works awesome.

Quoted from ziz:

Should I clean up any old grease in there and re-grease it? If so, what should I use to clean them with and what type of grease should I put on it?

See above.

Hope this helps some!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 85.00
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TrevixClemson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-planet-gearbox-revealed-2?tu=TrevixClemson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.