pingear2.jpg
pinbear.jpg
gearweld.jpg
2gears.jpg
3.gif
back_togeather.jpg
weld.jpg
stoveweld.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

well my brand new to me JD ate shit after about 10 games the planet stopped spinning , but the motor works fine ..

So I took it out and after realizing how much money a repaired unit was, I decided to take the thing apart and fix it myself

here is what I found , looks to me like one of the gears (the one on the bottom near the shaft lost its footing and is spinning on the shaft , so How will I “stick it to that shaft’? hammer and a pin I guess or a braze?

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/onesurf/?action=view&current=DSCF0231.mp4

Post edited by Dawson : typo

#2 12 years ago

How is it fastened to the shaft to begin with? Drill a hole and pin could work....did you take the gears out yet?

#3 12 years ago

Take it to a welder and get it brazed. I had to do the same with my dr who.

#4 12 years ago

Steve Young refurbs these, and sends you back that is already done if you want to go that route.

#5 12 years ago

Steve will also send you the parts you need.

#6 12 years ago

please post the finished job

#7 12 years ago

When I got my JD years ago, the planet and ring would spin in the same direction because the grease between the main shaft and planetary gear was seized together. Taking it apart for cleaning and fresh grease worked wonders

#8 12 years ago

I talked to Steve at the Pinball Resource yesterday , he told me it could be anything and I should send it in for $200 plus core...!

So today I decided to split the case... It was easy , and with the tools in my gals house this is what I did , I wrenched it and it seems solid ..

Me =super stoked not to have spend 200 buck in hard earned cash..

How is it fastened to the shaft to begin with? Drill a hole and pin could work....did you take the gears out yet?

I believe its a pressed fit that don’t hold for shit.

stoveweld.jpgstoveweld.jpg weld.jpgweld.jpg back_togeather.jpgback_togeather.jpg 3.gif3.gif

#9 12 years ago

So you soldered it using the stove heating element?

Excellent MacGyver move!!

Great Fix.

#10 12 years ago

200 Bucks is a rip off. All JD motors that break are a simple fix.

Jim

#11 12 years ago

+1 Excellent McGuyver move...

Appreciate the post

#12 12 years ago

I feel the problem with the gearbox issue was the two welds used to hold the main drive gear to the inner shaft ....

those welds seem to bind on the secondary gear I had to file mine down a little bit to make things less pron to wedge up

TJ
thanks , I get by with a lot of those kind of moves , it comes from being broke

#13 12 years ago

Good job!

Any restoration job that comes through my shop gets any gearboxes that will come apart taken apart, the innards 'hot tanked' in my ultrasonic cleaner, and reassembled with teflon gel lube. Amazing how the lube Multiproducts used in these turns to varnish over time.

What held the case together? Screws? Can't see from your pic, and I've never done a JD.

#14 12 years ago

well shit .... I have the Ol JD back together and the motor seems to be running just fine ... shes a little loud but you cant hear it with the glass on ...

O great , now what .. JD is phantom tilting SHIT ... it seems to happen when the ball strikes the drop targets .. it happens about every other game now , WTF is with this game , I ordered the ball trough through pinbits ... and those people are awesome , they gave me the ball trough for free .. they said it would be cheaper to give me the the part rather than having to get charge the CC fee ..

could that be the problem? the magnetic balls ? ....

I did notice the wire colors that go into the target bank are the same ones that go to the tilt mech>..

anyone want to trade for a fish tales

TJ

#15 12 years ago

well the gear that I Mcguyvered took a crap , so I removed the SOB again , took it down to a local blacksmith and he re-braised the thing with a more solid braise , It looked really good ... I cleaned all the gearing and re-lubed and assembled the unit ...

she ran nice all quiet and smooth and I loaded some balls in the planet to get the crane in working order , which it was working great , for a second ... and snap , the gear is again not connected to the shaft .... SOB..

350r claims this is an easy fix ? not in my shop I guess , the guy that braised it is a world class blacksmith too .... who knows? what I do know I do not want to spend 200 bucks on a game that still has a phantom tile .... O pinball gods give me a handle on this !@Q@#&$^).. Iguess I will call
Steve at the pinball resource to see if I can get that gear in prime shape as my wire are getting short..

I re seated the 2nd gear and took out the slight wobble , which was awesome
and there is the new weld job

TJ

2gears.jpg2gears.jpg gearweld.jpggearweld.jpg

#16 12 years ago

When will these motors if ever get a repro?

#17 12 years ago

JD is the biggest headache of a machine I have ever come across, and I've come across three in my time.

#18 12 years ago

We have restored 5 JD's in the last year and only one has had a bad motor, yes very lucky.

#19 12 years ago

After reading the first part of this thread, I was feeling ripped off having sent my gearmotor to PBR. Now seeing the easy fix isn't so easy, I can put it behind me. Not sure why but I was fearful to grind open the rivets on the gearbox. Perhaps because there are no new units and PBR only exchanges for repairable units. Good thing JD is a decent machine, as I have quite a bit more in mine than many people would be willing to pay for that title.

Hopefully Steve will sell you that faulty gear/shaft though there's a lot less gravy for doing that. I would have tried to do that if I had seen this thread last year.

#20 12 years ago

Steve will not sell that gear or any other parts to the gearbox

the blacksmith was out of town yesterday so here is what I came up with I drilled holes for some spring pins and drove them home with a punch

working good , its runs fine just not super smooth

tj pinbear.jpgpinbear.jpg pingear2.jpgpingear2.jpg

2 months later
#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

Steve will not sell that gear or any other parts to the gearbox

That sucks.

He should be selling a "rebuild" kit.

I've got to tear into TWO gearboxes. Fingers crossed, they don't need gear replacements.....

1 week later
#22 11 years ago

Well...crap.

Both my gearboxes need work.

One of them was torn apart previously, and they tried to weld the part with two gears (as pictured above). The problem is, they ground off the end that sits in the gearbox casing so it has flat spots. It causes the planet to get stuck and slip.

Has anybody tried contacting the gearbox manufacturer directly?

http://www.multiproducts.com/

Since this is such a common issue for the Judge Dredd machines (and such an easy job to replace), it would be nice if we could get replacement gears from the factory. If Steve won't sell them directly, that is....

#23 11 years ago

There is a company called Northwest Short Line that caters to the Model Railroad industry making gears for locomotives of all scales. They make a lot more then that actually but I know for a fact they will cut gears but I am not sure they have ever been approached before to cut gears for a different hobby. They probably have. If you need something replaced like this, might not hurt to at least get in contact with them and see what they say. Even better if you get a bunch of guys that need this part together to make it worth the while.

What this gear really needs is to be press pinned to a shaft similiar to whats done above, but to the shaft instead. Soldering or brazing it appearently doesnt hold the gear tight on the shaft enough to hold for long periods of time.

Just a thought.

#24 11 years ago

I sent an inquiry to multiproducts.

It would help out many JD owners if they made the internal gear set (even if it was just the main one that fails 9 times out of 10) available as a service replacement part.

#25 11 years ago

I heard back from multiproducts.

The rep said they don't have the components on hand for the old designs, but they do have a source to rebuild/repair them.

He gave me Steve Young's contact info. I guess Steve is the guy to talk to for all JD gearmotor concerns.

3 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

Hey, is there a consensus on what the best/cheapest fix for this problem is? My planet seems to be hesitating/sticking every so often, and I think this is what the problem is. I made a separate post about it at some point but I'm not very technically savvy... I'd like to fix this issue even though it's working fine for now.

Thanks!

2 months later
#27 11 years ago

How is the repair holding up ? anybody have a better solution? I now have 2 non-working gearboxes and want to find a good permanent fix.

1 week later
#28 11 years ago

that repair , the one where I drilled the holes and pushed in spring pins is working great... all the welds that were attempted did not work

the gearbox is running and it that smoothed out , seems perfect , knocking on wood.

TJ

#29 11 years ago

Wonderful to hear, I will be drilling mine out for pins soon

#30 11 years ago

be precise . use a new drill bit and a drill press ... take your time ... also make sure the drill bit and spring pins match , dont force the spring pins or you will bend the soft brass gears ..

call me a ass if you feel this is the wrong way to do this , ... im not trying to give anyfalse info here,.

tj

2 months later
#31 11 years ago

Mine just did the same thing... Don't suppose anyone can give me a quick rundown on how to take the gearbox out of the machine eh?

#32 11 years ago

I've taken mine appart too. Everything looks repairable. The one part on this machine that would render this game worthless if it broke is the plastic interrupter cam thing in the crane mechanism.
I purchased a couple backup units from pinbits. Last I checked they still had them for $15. But who knows for how long.

1 year later
#33 9 years ago

I can did the same repair that Dawson did on my gearbox except I used 4 spring pins to stabilize the gear and it works awesome !

#34 9 years ago

TightR1 . . . are you in Kentucky or Tennessee?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The one part on this machine that would render this game worthless if it broke is the plastic interrupter cam thing in the crane mechanism.
I purchased a couple backup units from pinbits. Last I checked they still had them for $15. But who knows for how long.

I, or practically anyone else, could always 3D model it and put it up on shapeways if they ever went away.

3 months later
#36 9 years ago

I am hopefully buying a JD in a couple days, but the one I'm looking at needs the deadworld gear fixed. The owner told me it could be braised, but when looking around I found this thread. Does anyone that has performed the repair know what size drill bit and spring pins to use? Also how do these gearboxes come apart? i don't have the machine yet so haven't been able to lay my eyes on the gearbox.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#37 9 years ago

Not trying to be a jerk, but the word is "brazed" not braised, which is a cooking technique.

I only point this out because if anyone is looking for information about doing this repair via brazing I think the spelling will be important.

Brazing is easy to do, just high temperature soldering. You just need braze specific flux and the braze filler rod. Look for jewelry or air conditioning repair. This is a common technique that art metal use to join metals and refrigeration repair people use to repair coolant lines.

#38 9 years ago

I cleaned the gears up, and silver soldered the gear in place. Working fine...
You need a LOT of heat.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I cleaned the gears up, and silver soldered the gear in place. Working fine...
You need a LOT of heat.

What did you use to heat it up?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

What did you use to heat it up?

A butane torch.
--

#41 9 years ago

To remove it do you pretty much have to take the entire area apart? On the topside I have the rings removed, the bulbs out, etc, but on the underside do I need to remove all the plastics, other brackets, and everything to remove the gearbox assembly? It seems like the mounting screws are in an awkward place or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from TrevixClemson:

To remove it do you pretty much have to take the entire area apart? On the topside I have the rings removed, the bulbs out, etc, but on the underside do I need to remove all the plastics, other brackets, and everything to remove the gearbox assembly? It seems like the mounting screws are in an awkward place or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

You're looking at it right.
I meant to document the process...but time got away.
From memory...
...remove "subway" plastics
...remove entire dead world assemble. This requires loosening the crane bracket.
...disassemble all the way down to the gear box
...remove the lamp board on the top of the assembly. Cut the wires leaving enough insulation to ID proper reassembly.
...remove the cotter pin in the bottom of the shaft and pull the wires through.
...you may have to remove a bunch or all of the stuff on top of the shaft like the planet, etc.
...remove the motor
...drill the long rivets that hold the gearbox together. You won't use them during reassembly.
...now you can get at the problematic gear.

Take pics along the way and place parts aside in an organized way.

More info... http://kcpins.com/archives/720
--

#43 9 years ago

I recall doing just about everything Chris mentioned except cutting wires. I think I removed the terminals from the connector. I believe I was also able to leave the subway in place by removing the planet and all top components first. Whatever makes it easier.

Two things that I have noticed that probably causes these gears to strip is the crane can come loose on it's shaft and the magnet will drop into one of the cutouts on the planet ring and prevent it from turning.

The other thing to be careful of is when you tighten the large not on the gearbox shaft, make sure to use a wrench on the other nut so you are not putting stress inside the gearbox.

#44 9 years ago

To add to odin's cautions, when I reassembled one, the Deadworld ring would hang up on the ball gate, which I can see causing gear issues.
--

#45 9 years ago

I did not cut any wires. I desoldered the 4 wires on the board in the globe and pulled the wire harness out from the bottom.

Post edited by mbt: fixed typos

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from mbt:

I did not cut any wires. I desoldered the 4 wires on the board in the globe and pulled the wire harness out from the bottom.
Post edited by mbt: fixed typos

As long as you can remember where to return them to, this will of course work.
I usually leave about 1/16" of insulation so I can easily resolder to the correct spots.
--
ttp://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#47 9 years ago

Good call criss ---cut the wires ---- I de soldered them then had lighting issues because I forgot to take a picture showing where the wires went!!

Problem I have is brass is one metal and the shaft is another , brazing I believe is a short term fix , I had a pro brazers weld fail...

If you do the pins just be sure to Match your pins with your drill bit , you can get spring pins at any good ace hardware and the matching drill bit should be posted on the springpin bin..

Hope that makes since , I don't have the JD any more but it ran smoother and quieter than any I had ever heard..

I also pumped the gearbox up with white litho grease

Hope this helps too

#48 9 years ago

In case it helps, here is a pic of the wiring.IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2219.JPG

#49 9 years ago

Thank you for all the awesome replies! I will be removing it tonight. The rest of the Dredd looks to be in good shape other than a hauling mishap. I seem to have done something to the DMD because now it hums pretty loud and has waves in it. I want to get a color DMD anyway so it isn't a huge concern. Not as big as the deadworld issue anyways...

#50 9 years ago

Hauling mishap , ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 40.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-planet-gearbox-revealed-2/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.