Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

davey-goliath.jpg
#1 10 years ago

If you had opportunity to own both of them, but could only choose one, which one would it be? Both are in great shape. Dredd is nicer. Price is about the same on both with Dredd being a little more but it's in better shape. Help me pick one.

#2 10 years ago

Getaway, hands-down.

I've got both, so you can trust that I'm not biased at least.

#3 10 years ago

It looks like you've already got a Getaway in your collection; are you looking at trading that plus cash for Dredd?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

If you had opportunity to own both of them, but could only choose one, which one would it be? Both are in great shape. Dredd is nicer. Price is about the same on both with Dredd being a little more but it's in better shape. Help me pick one.

JD for me. I have one. I love games with depth, challenge and a ton going on...especially in a home environment...and that is the text book definition of JD. HS2 isn't a bad game and I like playing it, but there just isn't enough to HS2 to make me want to own one.

#6 10 years ago

I have a HUO Getaway and JD. If I could only keep one it would be the JD. JD is a lot deeper, has some humor, more shots, tons of modes, the supergame, drops.

Getaway has a better toy, but that's about it. Getaway is a ton of fun and I'm keeping it, but I like JD more.

#7 10 years ago

Judge Dredd all day. The replay value trumps HS2, hands down.

My wife and I can still fire up JD to this day and play for an hour straight without blinking.

#8 10 years ago

JD. HS2 over rated to me...like HS a lot better.

#10 10 years ago

I think JD is much more accessible for the casual guest too. You can pick up and play pretty easily. People gravitate to JD more than my other pin, a DH, especially newbies. Plus, it has SuperGame mode, which is like another game within the game.

I'm guessing the maintenance issues on a JD are much more involved and common than on an HS2 though, in case that's a consideration.

#11 10 years ago

JD. I like HS2, but JD definitely offers more in my opinion.

#12 10 years ago

I've owned both. JD lasted longer. Strictly on gameplay, there's more going on with JD. Since maintenance was mentioned above, I'd add that I think they're about the same. JD has the crane / dead world. HS2 has the supercharger. Both tend to just work once you've got them working. That was my experience, anyway. Had both for a number years. Neither was a headache.

Bottom line, I had more fun with JD.

Post edited by pinballwny : Fixed typo

#13 10 years ago

I would go with JD easily over a HS2. JD is a great home machine for the money. It has a ton of modes, great dotmatrix animation and supergame. JD also has some really good EE to find that are quite funny. HS2 has better flow, but JD has depth.

#14 10 years ago

I have owned Judge Dredd, High Speed 2 (and the original High Speed).

Getaway is very approachable and is arguably the best pin based on a car theme. It is also one of the most reliable machines from what two technicians have told me. No plastic ramp to break! It is a great machine for beginner owners and beginner players. The machine has great flow, as you would expect from Steve Ritchie.

Judge Dredd has an incredible amount of hardware content - widebody, ramps, flippers, habitrails. It has been speculated that Stern would never make a machine like this today as it would be too expensive to manufacture. The rule set is deeper and requires mastery of more shots. There are seven shots alone from the upper two flippers.

Both machines go for approximately similar prices, all else equal. You should not have undue difficulty selling either in the future but for different reasons - Getaway because of the popularity in its day, and Judge Dredd because of its perception of value in the pin community.

I still have Judge Dredd, but have not kept Getaway.

#15 10 years ago

If you had opportunity to own both of them, but could only choose one,

Don't say that, Davy.

davey-goliath.jpgdavey-goliath.jpg

#16 10 years ago

HS2 by a long shot!!!!

#17 10 years ago

Tough call, but HS2 by an inch.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

JD. HS2 over rated to me...like HS a lot better.

We might be in the minority, but I have kept HS and sold HS2. I have no nostalgia for either game.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

We might be in the minority, but I have kept HS and sold HS2. I have no nostalgia for either game.

Yeah the upper flipper ramp shot is the whole beauty of the game for me. Take that away & add a big toy that spins a ball around...just not an even trade for me.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

...just not an even trade for me.

Maybe this is a Michigan thing???

#23 10 years ago

JD for me.. for some reason I've never liked Getaway much.

#24 10 years ago

Looks like MNHotRod zigged when he should have zagged...the HS2 he picked up is already up for sale.

#25 10 years ago

I'd take a Getaway over JD anyday...and I'm not knocking JD (which is a good game as well)

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Looks like MNHotRod zigged when he should have zagged...the HS2 he picked up is already up for sale.

Wow, that was fast to get sick of it.....or the HS2 was cheap enough to flip

#27 10 years ago

Getaway by a hundred miles. I hated JD and if one ever fell into my lap I'd strip the boards out of it and toss the rest of it.

#28 10 years ago

LesManley needs to invite me over to play Dredd so I can decide which is a better game. My HS2 is nice but who is to say I didn't find a nicer one? Zig, zag, it's all about timing and mine seems to be off.

So back to the subject. Dredd or HS2 and why. And who has a Dredd so I can get some time in and decide for myself? Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

JD for me.. for some reason I've never liked Getaway much.

This for me too. Lots to do in JD, lots of shots for the upper flippers, superb toy in the deadworld, better than the one trick pony toy in HS2. I just don't get HS2 myself. Fun for sure, but no depth, and no staying power for me, but many love it.

#30 10 years ago

Dredd, very fun game.

#32 10 years ago

I picked up a Dredd recently so I may be biased. Get the Dredd and down the road trade it for a HS2

#33 10 years ago

Got the flippers fixed on my HS2. Having a blast now playing it. Need some time on Dredd. Back to HS2 for some more games.

#34 10 years ago

JD for sure. A better package overall!

#35 10 years ago

JD for me. More depth, easter eggs, etc.

#36 10 years ago

i couldn't stand la grange over and over again... gone.

#37 10 years ago

JD for me too!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

LesManley needs to invite me over to play Dredd so I can decide which is a better game. My HS2 is nice but who is to say I didn't find a nicer one? Zig, zag, it's all about timing and mine seems to be off.
So back to the subject. Dredd or HS2 and why. And who has a Dredd so I can get some time in and decide for myself? Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming.

Finally got the games setup last night where they will be. I have to work out a lock issue with my Deadworld Mod, but you are more than welcome to give it a try when that's fixed.

#39 10 years ago

Thanks John. Keep me posted on the fix.

#40 10 years ago

Glad to hear you're enjoying HS2 now more that the flipper issues are sorted out! I'd definitely spend some time with it before trading it off - I know dealing with issues like that can sour a game for you (I had that experience on JackBot), but it's definitely worth playing the daylights out of before trading.

#41 10 years ago

I have both. HS2 stays set up and ready to go. JD is currently folded up and put to bed.

#42 10 years ago

I wish I could get into HS2 more. The combination of the rare bugs in ALL Rom revisions (different ones per ROM) is a huge strike against it for me, even though they so very rarely turn up. I'd definitely do JD first, personally.

#44 10 years ago

JD without question.

#45 10 years ago

Almost a week since thread start and we have 11 for HS2 and 17 for Dredd.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wish I could get into HS2 more. The combination of the rare bugs in ALL Rom revisions (different ones per ROM) is a huge strike against it for me, even though they so very rarely turn up. I'd definitely do JD first, personally.

I find that multiplayer makes these problems crop up more often and with worse consequences in HS2.

There are no significant bugs in JD that anyone has noted, but the software can be very sensitive to opto errors, even more so with the Deadworld mod.

On the whole, both HS2 and JD have weaknesses in the software, but I find HS2 bugs to be more noticeable. JD forces you to fix your machine. HS2 can be more reliable, but has problems even when fully working!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

There are no significant bugs in JD that anyone has noted, but the software can be very sensitive to opto errors, even more so with the Deadworld mod.

True, I'll note this though - if you're playing seriously, I think that the Deadworld mod should be disabled anyway. On my machine, I found out that if you make a disconnect before it, the game will realize it didn't divert the ball and the software will compensate. This matters quite a bit, as starting multiball when two balls are already locked by looping the ramp is really quite simple compared to shooting them in and having to regain control of the ball.

1 month later
#48 10 years ago

HS2 is one of my favorite machines. JD was the least favorite that I have owned

#49 10 years ago

I own(ed) both... JD didn't have any legs for me. I sold it shortly after buying it. HS2 has been around, in my collection for many years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 72.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-or-hs2-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.