Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am diving into a Judge Dredd and discovering that the optos are having some issues...
They are sensing just fine but they all seem to be out of order?
The left ramp opto is fine, but when I trigger the left ramp to lock opto in switch test it says globe exit, the next opto I tested is the left ramp exit but when triggered it reads left ramp to lock.
When I trigger the opto in the front of the crane (globe exit I presume) it reads left ramp exit.

Is there a connector that got flipped around? I dont want to just start unpluging things and making it worse
Am I in need of new opto boards?
Is my Judge Dredd possessed?

#2 6 years ago

Check the connectors involved and see if wire colors are the same on both sides.

Your manual can help with the wire colors.

LTG

#3 6 years ago

It looks like the connectors are all correct, I dont have a manual handy, it looks like that will b my first stop tomorrow...
Thanks

#4 6 years ago

You probably have an bad or failing LM339 chip on your 7-switch opto pcb under the playfield. U1 & U2. They will cause faulty switch closures on your optos when one or both go bad. They are cheap and not real easy to test. Replace them and put sockets on. Should clear your problem.

#5 6 years ago

Its weird because the optos are all working great, just in the wrong spots...Thanks for the heads up, as soon as I get home Ill get back to it...

#6 6 years ago

Loyd is on to something (shocker huh)
Working my way thru the harness and and all is NOT well!
Down to all but two optos working properly (left ramp exit and left ramp to lock are still reversed)

#7 6 years ago

Switch 63 and 64 are mixed up still, last two left.
Should I just physically move the opto assemblies, or can I just switch a wire somewhere to avoid taking the ramps off to move the optos?
My brain HURTS!!!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Should I just physically move the opto assemblies, or can I just switch a wire somewhere to avoid taking the ramps off to move the optos?
My brain HURTS!!!

I'd move opto assemblies or swap wires.

Time to start enjoying playing your game and be done with optos.

LTG

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

My brain HURTS!!!

I've seen this many times on JD now. Those two optos are often reversed. Just swap the wires in the connectors. No need to physically move the optos.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside