(Topic ID: 85198)

Judge Dredd - Opto problem? Software issue?

By Harvs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinRob
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Harvs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey Fella's,

Ok, I just replaced the ball trough opto boards with the Great Lakes Modular replacements.. No change with the issues I was having..

Before replacement I would have an issue with the DeadWorld ball diverter (?) on the ramp. When DeadWorld is running, the diverter will randomly go on and off (flip/divert randomly).., As if the optic on the left ramp is 'seeing' the ball, yet the ball isn't near the optic or near the ramp. It will only do this while the DeadWorld is running.. Opto alignment issue?

Has anyone had the same issue? I searched but only came up with replacing the opto boards with the GLM boards, and did.. And to clean/check the opto itself (Which has been done, no issues from what a noob can see/test).

- I'm running the updated U2/U3 sound roms and L1at (main) rom.

Thanks for any help.

Harvs

(Off topic - How long does it take for your Donation to show on this site? I donated the day I registered, about a month ago. Thx)

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Note: Don't forget, once your donation is completed, to click the 'Back to Pinside.com' button to get back from Paypal to the Pinside. You will then see the "Thank you" page and our system will know you have donated. If your donation heart does not show up or you have any other questions, contact us!

I prob didn't click the 'back to Pinside' button.. I sent an email recently but haven't heard back (about a wk ago).

Thanks for clarifying,

Harvs

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Not a software issue. You need to spend time in switch edge test trying to reproduce your opto issues. Opto switches are always active and ball breaks beam of light. Not sure what trough boards had to do with this. I would be focusing on ramp optos.
Does dead world share 12vdc power? Perhaps the 12 dvc circuit is weak and dropping out a bit when dead world running. I think dredd uses magnetic flipper buttons so it wouldn't show up in fluttering flippers if this is the case like other games.

Ok, I will try the switch edge tests..

I bought the trough boards because that's what I first read about opto issues with JD.. I cavemanned it without differentiating that all opto's aren't the same or connected.. I said to myself , 'OPTO FIX?'...'BUY'..- Noob, but I'm glad I bought them to avoid other issues down the road..

I wonder about the DeadWorld maybe causing the power issue.. It seems to act like that's the case.. DeadWorld ON, probs with the diverter.. Hmmm.. The diverter (hope that's the right name for it) actually gets a bit weak when it's flaking out.. To the point where a ball will push by it when it's in 'Flake mode'.

Will try a few things mentioned.. Thank you!

Harvs

#6 10 years ago

Switch 67 - The opto on the left ramp, before the diverter says 'NOT USED' when tested.. It does trigger properly while testing. Is that correct?

#9 10 years ago

Update! - I followed the wires from the diverter to the crane thinking about the mention of a power issue.., So while there I cleaned the opto for the crane and BOOM! (boom as in FIXED), haven't had a problem with the diverter since..

Also, while I was messing with the machine to troubleshoot the prob, I completely shopped it out, 'Centerflank' style, so I won't be needing the shop job Flank..

Hahaaaa... Just kidding.., I look forward to you cleaning this beast up!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I have issues with the opto in that it never closes, so the diverter never works. I tried switching the 7 opto boards and I get different issues, so the boards are wonky and the opto is dead. Everything else plays great, just need to bring myself to drop $150 on the two new boards.

I paid $65 for the trough optos from Great Lakes Modular. - Let me guess, there's more opto boards needed or recommended?

#13 10 years ago

Shat.. Hope mine don't take a shat.. Or maybe they did and are shatty.. Can you post a link to the boards you mentioned?

Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Harvs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-opto-problem-software-issue?tu=Harvs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.