New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 215076)

Judge Dredd - Multiball Issue

By MeanderingBrewer

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gunstarhero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

unnamed-2 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.12.40 PM (resized).png
unnamed-1 (resized).jpg
unnamed (resized).jpg
IMG-1389 (resized).JPG
IMG-1408 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Hey there guys! The first issue is that there are too many balls that come out for multiball. I believe 6 but it is definitely not the 4 that others on the forum have talked about. Is this something I can change in the game settings or is this something specifically wrong in my game? I'm not sure if this is related but if you start a supergame it is 6 balls as well.

The second issue is once you are down to one ball multiball continues on. I'm assuming it should be over once you are down to one ball. Is this a setting as well? I apologize of these are noob questions. Judge Dredd is just my first DMB game.

Thank you in advance!

#2 2 years ago

Maybe a trough issue? Is it showing a credit dot? Any issues come up in test?

#3 2 years ago

Check your trough for sure. Do you have the deadworld mod?

#4 2 years ago

Standard multiball is 4 balls. I believe that’s even true for Ultimate Challenge. The only time it’s a 6 ball is Super Multiball (“Send backup units!”) during Super Game. That’s why if you never play Super Game you will eventually get a Trough 2 credit dot.

It sounds almost for sure like you’re probably having trough opto issues. I had the same thing happening on my game, replaced the trough optos and it cleaned up the issue. Dredd is an absolute bastard for opto issues.

#5 2 years ago

If you have dredd world mod it's the opt eye that crane drops ball past

#6 2 years ago

Crane needs adjustment have fun it's a pita but once adjusted gtg

#7 2 years ago

Have a read through the Judge Dredd club thread, this issue has been covered many times. It's most likely going to be an opto problem somewhere, possibly the trough and could also be the crane drop opto as well. To test the trough opto's, remove all 6 balls from the trough, go into switch test and then roll the balls 1 by 1 back past the flippers into the trough. If all opto's are working it will register them all as the first ball rolls into the trough to the end. That's a good start, if the trough opto's are all working then start testing all the others, ramps, crane drop, etc. The crane drop opto, when not working well, in particular can make the machine do some weird things, very much like you have described

#8 2 years ago

it sounds more like a game settings issue.super game does start out at 6 ball.your ball save is probably set for to long of time

#9 2 years ago

Super game starts with 2 balls until you knock down the Judge targets, then it's 6. If the music that plays when multiball is normally active is still playing with only 1 ball left on the PF (a good indicator) then the machine still thinks there are, at the minimum, still 2 balls in play. This is most definitely an opto related problem, i've had the same issue in the past and so have many others in the JD club thread.

#10 2 years ago

pinlink There does seem to be a credit dot. Its a little tough with the scrolling animation behind but I believe it's there.

When I ran the test I am getting the two following warnings.
-Check switch 76 (right ramp) I knew this opto switch wasn't working and ordered new optic switches for it.
-Check switches 81 through 6. I am not sure where these are on the machine. I plan on downloading the manually and looking through but if anyone knows off the top of their head that would be great.

IMG-1408 (resized).JPG

IMG-1389 (resized).JPG

unnamed (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

mancave I do have a deadworld mod. I took out all the balls. There ended up being 5 not 6. I first tried to just add another ball but it would always add two back into the plunger lane. I then took your advice and went into Tests - Single switch test - and went to the trough switches without any balls in the trough. As I added balls they changed from closed to open on every switch except the 6 spot. I slightly readjusted the 6th opto and soldered it in its new adjusted spot. One of the issues is now cleared up. Now when multiball gets down to one ball normal play resumes. Also, after fixing that the warning (check switch 81-6) went away. So thumbs up on that side of things.

The two issues I still cant figure out are:

1.Multiball still shoots out more than 4 balls

2. The top right ramp exit is not working. Any shots on the ramp right are not being counted. In the manual it says that opto switch #75 should be the top right exit opto but when I go into test mode and break the line of site between the receiver and emitter on the opto right below the top right exit it triggers that one instead. I have attached a picture of the stacked opto's so you can get a better idea. Is it possible that these were somehow swapped and switch 75 now controls the bottom opto and 76 controls the top? When I originally go the game this ramp was working fine so even if it is wired incorrectly it did work at one time. If I am in test switch mode and go to switch 76 nothing happens when I break the line between emitter and receiver on either the top or bottom ramp optos.

Just wanted to say for all the help so far. It is pretty damn awesome this community exists.

unnamed-1 (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.12.40 PM (resized).png

unnamed-2 (resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from MeanderingBrewer:

Check switches 81 through 6.

That's your problem. It's the trough switch, switch number 81 (not 81 "THROUGH" 6).

Fix that opto in the trough and you should be good to go.

#13 2 years ago

You may be able to fix those optos by just cleaning the lenses. Try some rubbing alcohol on a q tip.

#14 2 years ago

pinlink I did end up fixing the trough issue. There were 5 balls not 6 balls to begin with and the trough 6 opto was misaligned. Now when there is one ball left from multiball regular play resumes.

I am still getting 5 balls in multiball. Once I hit all the letter in Judge the ramp lights for the 3 locks go on. The first two ramp shots it qualifies the lock but does not put them into dead world. Only on the 3rd shot does the ball go into dead world. At that point 4 balls are shot out into the playfield from the plunger lane and the deadworld spins until the crane picks up the one ball that was locked and drops that into the playfield making the total balls in play 5.

#15 2 years ago

The first two ramp shots it qualifies the lock but does not put them into dead world. Only on the 3rd shot does the ball go into dead world...and the deadworld spins until the crane picks up the one ball that was locked and drops that into the playfield

That is actually how it’s supposed to work. Only thing I’m not sure of is how many balls should be in play during multi ball. I can check on mine later this afternoon and count how many are in play unless someone chimes in before that.

#16 2 years ago

It’s 4. For sure. I just ran it on my no credit dot all new optos machine.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It’s 4. For sure. I just ran it on my no credit dot all new optos machine.

Edit: oops misread that

#18 2 years ago

I don’t think so, because he’s getting 5 balls. I bet his trough 1 is flaky, that always seems to be the one that goes bad for me.

#19 2 years ago

There ended up being 5 not 6

Where is the 6th ball? There should be 6 in the trough unless you have 1 in orbit on the ring.

#20 2 years ago

gunstarhero mancave It seems to be something wrong with the trough opto boards as you guys mentioned. The only place I could find them was overseas. Once I get them and install I will update this thread for any future readers.

#21 2 years ago

https://www.johns-arcade.com/product-page/trough-opto-board-7-optos

These one's? the Homepin replacements are very good, far better than the originals.

#22 2 years ago

gunstarhero mancave It seems to be something wrong with the trough opto boards as you guys mentioned. The only place I could find them was overseas. Once I get them and install I will update this thread for any future readers.

HIGHLY suggest the Great Lakes Modular ones. They fit really nicely and work like a charm. http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

HIGHLY suggest the Great Lakes Modular ones. They fit really nicely and work like a charm. http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

The only problem is that he doesn’t seem to have been responding to orders for months now. There is a separate thread about this.

#24 2 years ago

Oh that sucks. He makes great stuff. Maybe try K’s Arcade. GLM directed me there after I tried to order something he didn’t have in stock.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside