You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

$T2eC16N,!w0E9szN(mLvBQlrgjyS1Q~~60_84.jpg
detail.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello Pinsiders,

I have a JD and the crane won't unload the 3 balls in the planet with multiball. I checked the opto's of the through and at both opto's on the left ramp as well the one whioch the crane throughs the balls trough. THe crane seems to be in the right position, cause if I start up the machine and ther are balls in the planet it unloads them right away. Some times the crane does lift the balls with multiball, but then very late. What can this be? Any suggestions!?

gr
Fulko

#2 11 years ago

In the test menu there is the T-15 crane arm adjustment test. Did you monkey with that?

#3 11 years ago

I manually adjusted the arm till it looked right to me. With that test and the the T16 test. How do you know when it's ok? With the T15 it just says "please wait" and when you're finisched adjusting go to T16. With the T16 test the crane goed back and forth twice (without unloading) and then planet just keeps on turning. Switches 71 and 77 say Open and Switch 62 says Closed.

By the way: in testing mode it says check Switch 61 (Globe postisiong 1).

#4 11 years ago

Als when I test T16 it doesn't mather wether there are balls in the planet ring or not. It keeps saying:

Switch 71 Open
Switch 77 Open
Switch 62 Closed

#5 11 years ago

O wait: In the test T16 the crane moves back and forth once and only Switch 71 flashes Closed when the crane returns to the planet ring. Switch 77 does nothing.

#6 11 years ago

Switch 77 is Globe position 2, mine does flash closed in the T.16 test mode, good luck, hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in.

#7 11 years ago

there is another Opto board underneath, which controls the rotation of the planet.
does the planet pause to let the crane lift the ball or does it rotate constantly?

#8 11 years ago

In test mode it rotates constantly

#9 11 years ago

Hey Fulk, any headway on that? How's that switch looking? Im guessing you have the manual for it, its below the dead world rings, looks like directly under where the ball drops off the ramp onto the DWplastics

#10 11 years ago

I'm gonna look 2morrow. What do you mean with DWplastics?

#11 11 years ago

The 2 large dead world plastic rings that holds the ball for the crane to grab.

#12 11 years ago

if the planet rotates constantly then you need to either clean or replace the optos that work with the interruptor ring on the base of the planet under the playfield.

These optos allow the planet to pause at the correct moment for the crane to lift the ball.

hope this helps
good luck

#13 11 years ago

Thx guys. So I'll find these opto's under the planet ring but above/on the playfield? Say these aren't working. Should I replace the opto's or the PC opto board underneath the playfield?

#14 11 years ago

Always good to have a few opto's on hand in case of failure, but Im a parts hoarder myself.....

#15 11 years ago

Thx guys:
How do I test switch 71, 77 and 62 (the switches in test T16) when in Switch Edges mode?

And are there opto's under the playfield? Sorry, I'm not so technical (just love pins

#16 11 years ago

I think I have a breakthrought! Under the playfield I found a black circular piece
of plastic above the opto board. It has to slots. The plastic piece is loose (I believe I miss a tiny screw that locks it) ans it looks like the to slots in the circular piece should be fitted on top black pieces on the opto board.

Am I right?

If so, I can't rotate the platstic round piece to reach the black pieces on the opto board. Can I force this? Or is there another way? I don't want to cause more trouble!

I'm going to remove the planet rings. Perhaps, than I can rotate it.

I'm really starting to like this shit detail.jpgdetail.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Damn it didn;t work.. Worse yet, the crane now tries to grab behind the ball

#18 11 years ago

I believe thats the opto interrupter and yes you need the screw to keep it secure, make sure there is no cracks in it as well. I got a aluminum interrupter replacement from pinball life or marco's, cant remember, for my ToM, not sure if they are the same part number

#19 11 years ago

I don’t think we have enough info here. First off, you stated the machine unloads the balls just fine when there are balls in the ring, and that machine does a ball search when you first turn it on. That means the crane, works fine, as this is proper operation.

This sounds like an opto issue. First off, what roms are you running? If you have the DW ring with the holes for the balls to stay in, you should have got this from pinbits, and should be running their modded rom. If you are not, this can cause all kinds of opto issues, and the game will not play right.

If you have the proper roms, than anything is possible opto wise. If any opto is out, or flaky, this game loses track of the balls, and all kinds of crazy things happen, which is most evident in MB. If the rom is proper, I would go into the test mode and thoroughly test all opto switches to make sure they are functioning properly.

#20 11 years ago

I tested the 2 opto's in the ramp and the opto which the crane throws the balls trough. Those all work properly. So do the ball trough opto's. Are there more I should check? How do I check or test Switch 72, 77 and 62?

PS: Doný know which MOd I have. I bought it with the Mod. See pic: $T2eC16N,!w0E9szN(mLvBQlrgjyS1Q~~60_84.jpg$T2eC16N,!w0E9szN(mLvBQlrgjyS1Q~~60_84.jpg

#21 11 years ago

I think I found the problem. My PC Opto board doesn't seem to respond properly. I'm gonna put some new opto's on it and try again. Hopefully this will do the trick!

#22 11 years ago

Did you buy it from pinbits and are you using their supplied eprom?

#23 11 years ago

I live in Holland and bought it from another home owner. I'm pretty sure it's the PC opto board. I have one more problem. Suddenly when the planet rotates it falters (or hesitaes) a little at a certain points. Any idea what might cause that?

#24 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure now it is my Opto Board, but when I remove it the result of the T16 test remains the same (swith 71, 77 open en 62 closed). Switch 71 blinks closed for a split second. Just like before. Do you have any idea how that's possible? And like said before: Suddenly when the planet rotates it falters (or hesitates) a little at a certain points. Any idea what might cause that?

#25 11 years ago

Slow down. Has it ever worked right in play?

As for the issues now, this could be related to the opto interrupter you move, or a ceasing gear box. JD is a complicated machine.

****Clarify the eprom concern though****, if you don't know, open the BB and report what the eprom is. IF this is not the pinbits one, of the closed holed ring, the only other one that would work is the L1 I believe, and that one is very unstable.

#26 11 years ago

I agree with atomicboy , mine did not work until I replaced the rom with the L1AT rom.
when the table boots it should display the rom version.

can you confirm it's L1AT ?

7 months later
#27 10 years ago

HI , i have the same problem , i have L1AT rom and when i do the T16 test the arm moves once and the ring works all the time without stopping , what i have to check ?
Thanks

1 month later
#28 10 years ago

Hope this isn't too late for you, chestil.

Go to T14 test (planet) and check the that switch 61 and 77 work. If these aren't working, the globe will not stop spinning. When working properly, the globe will stop spinning when the ball is at the crane unloading position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-multiball-crane-does-not-unload-planet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.