3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Huldra66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have just repaired a Judge Dredd pinball machine that had really many gremlins hidden
    Acid leak and several bad components on the main board, Deadworld not spinning and loose gear in gearbox as well as one damaged gear, now set up with led's and all cleaned, seems like only issue now are the left flipper coil getting hot and weak in periods ( replaced with new )
    while playing there are times it becomes weak , and by measuring the voltages it looks like from time to time it does not shut off the current trough the "Main" coil, and keeps running current trough both coils while holding.
    But not fully as voltage flickers around 25v over the main coil and usually just for a short time , meaning this is a periodic failure and just a short time so a bit tricky to start measuring why on the flipper board.
    Anyone seen the same symptoms before ?

Regards
    Terje

#2 3 years ago

I would suspect the TIP-102 for that flippers “hold” power has failed. On the FlipTronics board, diode test each of the TIP-102s, comparing results.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 3 years ago

Thanks , will test them it's just weird they work normal specially early in the game
    Also expect they will measure all fine due to that.
    will try and measure input signal at base to see if those are fine

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I would suspect the TIP-102 for that flippers “hold” power has failed. On the FlipTronics board, diode test each of the TIP-102s, comparing results.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Chris, help me understand the Fliptronics circuit here.

If the TIP-102 for the hold failed open, wouldn't the flipper just drop back down?

Or do both kick and hold transistors stay closed during the hold phase, and with the hold transistor failed, only the kick part of the circuit stays energized, overheating the coil?

RM

#5 3 years ago

I measured both at the same time using two Fluke's
    Hold functions fine , but kick seems to some time keep voltage and current for a longer period that it should as well as sometime flickering and delivered 25v to the kicker coil while flipper is in hold mode
    also seems to get worse after playing some time , think I need to see if this is coming from the prossesor or the TIP36 output
    Possibly the opto couplers?

Quoted from RussMyers:

Chris, help me understand the Fliptronics circuit here.
    If the TIP-102 for the hold failed open, wouldn't the flipper just drop back down?
    Or do both kick and hold transistors stay closed during the hold phase, and with the hold transistor failed, only the kick part of the circuit stays energized, overheating the coil?
    RM

#6 3 years ago

Seems the opto coupler is reacting slow and not fully pulling down the voltage , ending in slow reaction from the kicker circuit, ordered a new one to try out.

#7 3 years ago

Seems confirmed after replacing the left flipper board those opto couplers are reacting earlier and coil so far after some test playing is all fine and normal heat

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-left-flipper-coil-get-really-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.