• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the lamp matrix (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Hi!

New to the site and new to the wonderful world of pinball and nostalgia!

Got myself a Judge Dredd a couple of weeks ago as my first pinball machine! it was awesome! Played "till my fingers bled"!

But when i started to realize that there is more to pinball than just hit the ball with the flippers I noticed some of the lamps was kinda weird. 3 lamps didn´t work at all (but I thought the lamp was just fried.). Then I realized that some lamps who that aren´t supposed to light sometimes do just that (weakly though).
I started to scour the internet and started reading up on lamp matrixes and realized that perhaps some diods are fried? yesterday I checked all the lamps in the settings and there were a lot of them! almost every lamp I tested had others light to.

So my question is really, is there an easy fix to this? perhaps one fried diod is making a lot of others go nuts? The game works and brings joy but I´m concerned of its value if i want to sell it futher on. I have zero knowledge and skill in this but my father loves this stuff (bonding opportunities!) so I´m willing to at least try.

I also has an issue with the deadworld diverter. It works when tested, but the diverter dont divert the third ball (unmodded machine).

I did a matrix summary (hope it works):
The small numbers are the other lamps that lights (weakly) when the main is tested

I am grateful if someone can advice or help me.

the lamp matrix (resized).pngthe lamp matrix (resized).png
#2 3 years ago

I thought initially that it was limited to a 6 lamps rectangle but then I notice that many rows/colums have the problem. I doubt that diode is the culprit or they are multiple diodes failing.

Have you tried the lamp test mode, to see whether you get the same problem ?

It might be the IC that order the lamps that has a problem.

Also you could check that wires are not shorted, by taking the continuity between the lights that are lit. The voltage on the lugs as well.

#3 3 years ago

Judge Dredd has this odd connector close to J136 that works as a magnet.
Plugging this connector onto J136 does this kind of lamp matrix mess up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-explain-the-j136-connector-judge-dredd-lamp-matrix-issue#post-3158828

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-explain-the-j136-connector-judge-dredd-lamp-matrix-issue#post-3158828

This looks really promising! Can´t wait to go home and test!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

It worked!!! all the glitching lamps stopped!!! thank you very much!
And you to jimy_speedt for taking your time to write!

Now I only have to figure out how to get the diverter working properly.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Preacher:

It worked!!! all the glitching lamps stopped!!! thank you very much!

Great, I love easy fixes

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-lamp-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.