Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

10357635_10152363363485813_7289259526048702243_o.jpg
th-763.jpeg
th-5.jpeg
DSCN1002.JPG
JDHS.jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

Been seeing a lot of price gouging going on with this title and not being a fan of price policing on anyone's sale thread, I figured I'd open this up for discussing in hopes of keeping yet another title from spiraling out of control due to unaware buyers being taken advantage of.

Here are some numbers:

Boston Pinball Average - $1,236
Most recent ebay result WITH BIDS - $1,525.00 (didn't even sell due to reserve)
Mr. Pinball 2013 Listing - $1400

So, when I see ads for this game for $2200+ for an average condition game and the first 5 replies are "Great Price! Should sell fast!" my gut reaction is that there are simply many people on here that are unaware of the pricing resources available. I know prices are going up, but when all 3 of these stats hover around $1400 as of today, there is no reason for everyone to be APPLAUDING a $2000 - $2500 asking price (especially when some of the recent ads have been "firm on price" or include threats of parting it out if not sold).

I wouldn't be writing this if there weren't evidence floating around to back this up. Not looking to open up yet another "general" pinball price discussion, but I think discussions on specific titles are helpful for potential buyers to avoid getting ripped off.

Rant Over
-BB

#2 7 years ago

2012 auction results on ebay (boston pinball) indicate 11 machines sold with an average sale price of $1941. I sold one midyear for $1200, needed shop out and no deadworld or topper.

#3 7 years ago

This game has been all over the place. Of course now I am looking for one.

#4 7 years ago

Compare most of the prices on Boston Pinball. They are wrong presently considering they go back 72 months or whatever. JD has always been underpriced, so if they move at 2200 now, well that's the price. I sold my JD for 1500 a few months ago and it was sold very, very fast.

JD is from Bally, a wide body in the top 40. It's widely considered to be from the golden age of pinball. I think it was overdue for a correction IMO.

#5 7 years ago

I bought mine about a month ago in good shape for 2k. After playing it for a month, I probably would pay 3k for it. It is all relative what you are wiling to pay for the entertainment. I just do not agree with the initial post.

#6 7 years ago

Funny, a few years ago i could not get rid of my JD in real nice condition (except no topper) for over $800. Judging from what I have seen and the numbers above I would still think its a $1200 game without a topper and typical fade, and 1500+ for a game with a topper.. of course condition is king.

#7 7 years ago

The one I just bought had the original topper, Deadworld Mod, and decked out in Cointaker LED's in inserts, GI, Flashers and backbox. Some slight chipping on the cab, but nice looking non faded artwork. Playfield is a solid 8, with a bit of dirt around the ball paths in non-accessible areas.

I happily paid what the OP says it isn't worth for it. It's a great game with a lot going for it.

#8 7 years ago

I would argue that the price is whatever someone is willing to pay for the game, not what you say it is.

But, to each his own.

#9 7 years ago

Found one for $800 & past on it.

#10 7 years ago

So, if you can get a JD for $2K all day long, you would pay $3K

Quoted from kingfishtr:

I bought mine about a month ago in good shape for 2k. After playing it for a month, I probably would pay 3k for it. It is all relative what you are wiling to pay for the entertainment. I just do not agree with the initial post.

My favorite is still, "wish you were closer." Yah, like you'd run over and snatch up that $5K game if it were local, because $400 shipping kills that deal.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So, if you can get a JD for $2K all day long, you would pay $3K

Yes..how dishonest is that??? BAD BUYER ALERT!!! ha

#12 7 years ago

Find me a nice JD for $1400.00

They do not exists at this price unless they need massive amounts of work.

The LED kit is over $200.00
Topper $200.00
Dreddworld mod around $100.00

#13 7 years ago

Sold a faded one in decent condition with no topper for $1500. I had a ton of interest in it as well. I probably should have asked a little more. Even the cheapest wpc titles seem to all be at least $1500 these days

#14 7 years ago

I think you misunderstood what I meant. To me, it feels like a 3k game. I would pay the lowest amount that I could to aquire any game that I would want to own. But if everyone on this site and all other data did not say that it is a $1200 or $1400 game, I would probably value it at 3k in my mind. I am biased because I own it and feel it is a great value for 2k, which is what I paid for it. From reading all of the other posts, it is clear that I probably over paid for it. Oh well, it has brought me quite a bit of joy so far, so it was worth it. I joined pinside after I bought the game.

#15 7 years ago

JD may be a $1800.00 game if your lucky enough to get a deal on a really nice decked out one. Typically I'm seeing 2k all day on a nice JD

Remember a lot of these games were parted out years ago so the demand is slightly higher than the supply.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Found one for $800 & past on it.

Pass it over this way. I'd love to have that game for sub $1,000. I believe you are local(ish). That'd be a sweet game to have.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Find me a nice JD for $1400.00

They do not exists at this price unless they need massive amounts of work.

Sold my nice JD this summer for $1500. Fully working. Price gouge unto others as you would have them price gouge unto you.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

JD may be a $1800.00 game if your lucky enough to get a deal on a really nice decked out one. Typically I'm seeing 2k all day on a nice JD
Remember a lot of these games were parted out years ago so the demand is slightly higher than the supply.

Thats true and a great point! JD was viewed as such a dog and so tough to get rid of it was parted out more than most in its time as a donor for more popular games.

I always loved mine.. fast and brutal with great comic book art.

#19 7 years ago

I paid 1500 for mine cabinet fade but that doesn't bother me playfield was full mylar that's what I care about put 300 into it upgraded all opto boards to glm for reliability

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Price gouge unto others as you would have them price gouge unto you.

Damn, someone around here actually gets it....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Damn, someone around here actually gets it....

I do not price gouge one bit. So know your facts first.

I sold my JD for 2K

Bought it for $1650.00

Added topper $200.00
LEDs $200.00
Dredd World Mod $100.00
Speaker Upgrade $150.00
Misc parts etc.., $200.00 (added new opto troughs and new display board)

So with $2500.00 in it I was to sell it for $1400.00

Sold it for $2000.00 was supposed to be $2100.00 So I ended up loosing a bit on it. So if thats price gouging then yes please sell me any of your games for 25% less than what you have in them!!!!!!!

DrStarkweather - let me know what you have in your LOTR your cost and I'll buy it for 25% less today!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I do not price gouge one bit. So know your facts first

Simmer down Hank, no need to go on the defensive.... No one is calling you out (At least I didn't read it as Starkweather calling you out).....

Reading your parts list, it sounds like you paid a little too much upfront for a Dredd....It happens. Also, don't expect to see a return on things like LEDs and Mods, as a lot of buyers don't care about those things.

If you needed to add a new display and topper to a Dredd, it sounds like you are a describing a 1100-1300 machine if the cosmetics are nice.

Now I know people will argue thse machines don't exist, but they do, and patience will always get you one in this range.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

This game has been all over the place. Of course now I am looking for one.

Get a hold of Trent in Ohio, he just picked one up

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I do not price gouge one bit. So know your facts first.
I sold my JD for 2K
Bought it for $1650.00
Added topper $200.00
LEDs $200.00
Dredd World Mod $100.00
Speaker Upgrade $150.00
Misc parts etc.., $200.00 (added new opto troughs and new display board)
So with $2500.00 in it I was to sell it for $1400.00
Sold it for $2000.00 was supposed to be $2100.00 So I ended up loosing a bit on it. So if thats price gouging then yes please sell me any of your games for 25% less than what you have in them!!!!!!!
DrStarkweather - let me know what you have in your LOTR your cost and I'll buy it for 25% less today!

I love JD and I would not sell mine for $1,400, but why did you pay so much for your aftermarket stuff? Topper is $90. LEDs could be had for $50. Even the dead world is less than $100. You really can't expect to pass on costs to a new buyer that you paid too much for initially. I personally think JD is approaching the $2,000 mark for resale. I don't feel I would have a hard time selling mine for $1,750 and it has a topper and deadworld mod. That said, it isn't for sale right now.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from LBJ:

Get a hold of Trent in Ohio, he just picked one up

Thanks!

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

If your going to quote price guides then you should know how to use them. The straight average column on boston pinball is no longer relevant. You have to look at the yearly average column, which is pretty much a perfect indicator of current prices.

Quoted from davewtf:

2012 auction results on ebay (boston pinball) indicate 11 machines sold with an average sale price of $1941.

^This is the current average price for Judge Dredd, which is spot on. Especially here in CA, Judge Dredds are getting picked up quickly if listed in the high teens.

#27 7 years ago

The last really nice JD I saw for sale in person about a year ago sold for 3000+. LEDs, topper, deadworld mod, really nice cab and pf, etc.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Been seeing a lot of price gouging going on with this title and not being a fan of price policing on anyone's sale thread..
-BB

"Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency."

While sometime it may feel like it, I don't think pinball is considered "essential goods" required in an emergency The market is what it is.

#29 7 years ago

topper was

$175.00 plus shipping

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=768

On mods yes I know you cannot pass full cost. Though you should not eat them either.

I look at it a had $2500.00 in it. Paid $1650.00 which I thought was a fair price as it was in real nice shape.

I also know someone who bought a crappy JD at $1200.00 I would never touch.

I still think you guys are wrong on the price of JD. $1800.00 - $2000.00 for one with hardly any fade, topper and some upgrades is around market value. Now one that is your average Judge Dredd in very fair shape without topper $1400.00 is believable.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from daley:

If your going to quote price guides then you should know how to use them. The straight average column on boston pinball is no longer relevant. You have to look at the yearly average column, which is pretty much a perfect indicator of current prices.

Yup. Going by the logic of the original post AFM is only a $4,200 pin.

#31 7 years ago

I paid 2200 for a nice one with leds and the deadworld.
Topper is 80 bucks, deadworld is like 60 bucks.
About right for canadian prices.
That being said i passed on a beater one for 800 last year.
i think it is a 1600 game.
It has a lot going for it but is not as fun as many other games from that era.
Its like DM, roadshow and JM. Its nice but missing something...

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

"Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency."
While sometime it may feel like it, I don't think pinball is considered "essential goods" required in an emergency The market is what it is.

YES! You can not price gouge on a luxury item. This is lost on the PP.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

Yup. Going by the logic of the original post AFM is only a $4,200 pin.

Which it really should be

#34 7 years ago

Bought my JD a few months ago for $2300, no topper but shopped, clean, and overall pretty nice. It is quite possibly my favorite machine of all time. Now has a topper, LEDs throughout, and bonus decals. Much loved and happy with the price I paid for such an under appreciated pin.

#35 7 years ago

But we know that ebay sellers are manipulating the prices by having shill bidding and fake sales. S, it appears that may be inflating prices. So, what does it really come down too?

#36 7 years ago

I was high bidder on the one on Ebay with my max bid of $1700. Seller had a $2500 reserve....

#37 7 years ago

Let's be realistic, those sites are auction sites, which means you have to add a few hundred for shipping. So add about $300-$500 to the price. I think the ones you are seeing are averaging about $1700-$1900 in that case.

Mine ran me $2k+ when I got it locally, and it had LEDs, deadworld mod, topper, and is only faded on one side. No regrets picking it up.

#38 7 years ago

I am going to be offering one shortly with minor fade, topper, DW mod and nice playfield for $2000. I might get burned at the stake here but I bet it sells in short order.

#39 7 years ago

For a fully functioning JD with a clean playfield, $2k is a good price IMHO. That pin is so much fun and deep enough to keep me entertained for an hour at a time.

#40 7 years ago

Not for me, gave $900 for mine about 9 months ago. Couldn't get into it, and traded it towards a Shadow. Different strokes right?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from LBJ:

Which it really should be

That's what I paid for mine & couldn't wait to trade it off.

#42 7 years ago

Correction. It WAS a 1400 dollar game. now people know about it and it is gaining popularity. That's why I jumped on mine at 1600. I bet i could flip it for 2200 in no time.

TZ was an $1800 dollar pin in 2000. demand goes up. price goes up. economics 101.

#43 7 years ago

I don't get people. where else besides with pin people do you want your investment to be worth less?!? I for one am HAPPY my TAF and LOTR aren't worth the $3500 I paid but closer to $5k. there will always be a title that is fun but off the radar. find one of those to buy. I'll go a step further and hope prices rise another 25% this year and maybe I'll cash out! the only thing that bothers me more than people trying to keep 20 year old games down in price are the people that are trying to drive newer sterns down in price. let the market dictate.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Yeah and their average for MM is $7013. Me thinks these averages might include game related items sold on E-bay.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I don't get people. where else besides with pin people do you want your investment to be worth less?!? I

investment

I think the pin community is pretty evenly split between talking down prices and talking them up. It should be pretty obvious who wants what.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I don't get people. where else besides with pin people do you want your investment to be worth less?!?

It's what you are looking to buy not what you own. Obviously everyone that has a JD wishes it was a 7K game, because then they would have 7K in value.
No one that is looking to buy a JD wishes it was a 7K game.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah and their average for MM is $7013. Me thinks these averages might include game related items sold on E-bay.

that's the 7 year average. The price has gone up dramatically within the last year. 2012 ave is 12,293 (6 units sold).

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I don't get people. where else besides with pin people do you want your investment to be worth less?!? I for one am HAPPY my TAF and LOTR aren't worth the $3500 I paid but closer to $5k. there will always be a title that is fun but off the radar. find one of those to buy. I'll go a step further and hope prices rise another 25% this year and maybe I'll cash out! the only thing that bothers me more than people trying to keep 20 year old games down in price are the people that are trying to drive newer sterns down in price. let the market dictate.

That is the interesting rub to this whole thing..... I feel the EXACT opposite as you. I don't feel these are investments at all, I couldn't care less if I got my money back out of them. these are toys more or less....

I can't wait for the market to bottom out and games are dirt cheap, gives me an opportunity to try/buy something I normally wouldn't because of "demand"....

I want new people to enjoy pinball as much as I do.... With the current perceived pricing going the way it is, that certainly won't happen....

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

that's the 7 year average. The price has gone up dramatically within the last year. 2012 ave is 12,293.

I guess thats why all the pins on these averages look undervalued, they have all gone up!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

Bought my JD a few months ago for $2300, no topper but shopped, clean, and overall pretty nice. It is quite possibly my favorite machine of all time. Now has a topper, LEDs throughout, and bonus decals. Much loved and happy with the price I paid for such an under appreciated pin

I' m glad I was able to acquire two (one collector quality, one in good shape) before the price inflation starts on this machine. I can think of no machine that I would rather have for home use and couldn't believe that I could get them for less than half the price of an AF, TJ,or any of Sterns recent offerings!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside