• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello,

I have been on this website reading for about a year and finally got my first game yesterday, Judge Dredd, so I joined the website. I have spent the last 24 hours going through the game and getting any thing working that was not. The game was in great shape though. Everything works 100% and the playfield is nearly flawless. I have a few questions and hopefully someone that owns the game can help.

1- The game has 6 balls in in, but the manual says that it is a 9 ball game. How many balls do you have in your JD?

2- When I shoot the ball quickly up the right ramp, very quickly, it sometimes flies out of the metal return before it should and sometimes drains. I tried adjust the levelers on the back legs to slow down the game, but it is still happening. I am brand new to working on these and I wonder if I should try to ben the metal pieces on the return ramp so that it does not fly out?

3- My right flipper seems to be not as powerful as my left flipper and this sucks, because this flipper has to make it up the left ramp. I have a very hard time getting up the left ramp at all. Does everyone have the same experience with this game? Can you adjust the ramp to make it less steep. One thing I did notice is that under neath the playfield the coil for the stronger flipper is white and has the Williams logo on it. The coil for the right, weaker flipper is white and does not.

4- My game is extremely dark and cannot be played with the lights off. All lamps are working but it is still no bright. What does everyone recommend on this.

Please remember this is my first machine so I am not really understanding any of the complicated engineering on the machine. No problem replacing bulbs so far. THANKS!!!!!!!

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Please do not use all caps in thread headers.

#2 11 years ago

1) 3 are captive balls
2)?
3)rebuild the flippers, marcos specialties may have a full flipper set up to buy
4)put some bright led's in

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the fast response. If I want to put in bright LED in place of the regular bulbs, do I just buy them and snap them in or is there other wiring or modifications needed on the machine for the LED's to work?

#4 11 years ago

They are plug&play, no modding needed I order mine from pinball life, cointaker is good too.....

#5 11 years ago

For the brightness, my JD was the same way. Super hard to play in a dark room. I went in to the Adjustment menu to A1 25 and said NO to Allow Dim GI.

You also want to make sure your GI connector on the bottom of the mpu board (can't recall, but is it AJ120??) isn't toasted, they like to overheat and build up resistance, causing dim or no GI. Look for a burnt connector, if you find one, replace the IDC style connector with molex trifurcons and check the board for burnt male pins/cracked solder joints.

Hope this helps.
Art.

#6 11 years ago

is that right ramp broke ? get the cliffy mod i have noticed that if the ramp moves the weight of the ball moving said ramp will through the ball before it hits the lanes..

#7 11 years ago

Judge is a dark game even when just adding leds. I changed my star-post to translucent. I have a led strip (superbrightled.com) in the back to lighten it up, but some times it is a little bright, so I'm able to unplug.
The 3 captive balls go in the meltdown area next under the nuke towers plastic.
link to my shop job

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-shop-job

Post edited by Soapman : added were I got led strip

#8 11 years ago

also there is a mod that you can buy off e bay that will light the back of that dark machine ...

#9 11 years ago

Just a new coil might fix your right flipper. Mine needed one on the left.

Mine came with a full LED conversion and I'm not even sure what kind were used......but it looks great. It's brighter than the HS2 and WCS right next to it with standard bulbs.

I'm also guessing that your right ramp is broken. I've never had a ball come out.

Do you know if yours has the "Deadworld Mod"? If not that would be something to look into adding. It makes it so the balls actually lock up around the rotating deadworld (upper left) and then the crain comes out and picks them up when you achieve multiball. Really cool feature that the game was designed for but they removed it for production due to concerns over failures in routed machines.

#10 11 years ago

I don't think the right ramp is broken. I have seen this after rebuilding flippers. The ball flies around that ramp so fast that sometimes it flies off the metal part at the curve. I installed a guard rail.
On the right flipper issue, rebuild the flipper (use vid's flipper guide) before touching the coil. It's most likely not a coil problem.

As for being dark, I added a bunch of spotlights to brighten the game up.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

also there is a mod that you can buy off e bay that will light the back of that dark machine ...

I bought that mod. Color blue and it helped mucho mungo! I also lifted the PF and cleaned the large trough plastic under the deadworld (have to do it from below the PF though). Mine was filthy and after much more light came through in that area...heck there is like a 12-14 bulb array at that plastic and the light could not get through all my filth.

#12 11 years ago

Thank you for all in the replies and info so far. I was able to adjust the right ramp at the bottom and raise it up about an inch. This completely solved the problem and has kept the ball from flying out.

My next 2 tasks will be to get LED's for the machine. I know that most people are against getting the complete kits, but I feel I might have to go this route since I have no idea what to order. I am deciding between the SUPER bright complete kit from CoinTaker for about $285 or there is a complete kit on Marco's website for about $245. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I will also have to figure out how to get my right flipper stronger. I actually was given a lot of spare parts with my machine when I bought it. I have an extra flipper coil, but I have no idea what I am doing replacing anything on the flipper. Changing bulbs has been about all I can do successfully at this point.

Evan

#13 11 years ago

Markmon. Here is a newbie question. Those spotlight look great, but how do you hook them up? Remember, I know nothing

#14 11 years ago

I did my own and not a kit. Kits are too much $$. I ordered from pinballlife and it cost me about 65 bucks, I did not do the flashers but all the #555 and #44-47 with the concave bulbs.
10- Green #555 (crime scene)
10-Yellow #555 (crime scene)
10-Red #555 (crime scene)
150- White #555 (crime scene) and all others
50- White #44-47
I had extra. The flashers could bring the bill up to 100.

#15 11 years ago

Thanks Soapman, that was extremely helpful. So you used the Ablaze 1's?
If I were to replace the flashers as well, how many would I order? Any idea? Does JD just use the #89 flashers? oR the #906's as well? Thanks a bunch.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

I will also have to figure out how to get my right flipper stronger. I actually was given a lot of spare parts with my machine when I bought it. I have an extra flipper coil, but I have no idea what I am doing replacing anything on the flipper. Changing bulbs has been about all I can do successfully at this point.

Check out Vid's excellent guide: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

If you want to do the bare minimum, and it's very cheap and easy to do for a newbie, just put in new coil sleeves and clean all the mechanisms with isopropyl alcohol. But you'll get the best possible performance by buying all the parts and fully following the guide.

I've found that the most technically difficult part of the full rebuild for a newbie is replacing the flipper bushing so if you're not feeling super confident, I'd skip this step. The other parts are easy peasy

#17 11 years ago

I used Ablaze 1's and the flasher ar both #89 and #906 and I don't have the exact count on them. You have the #89 under the plastics and the #906 are in the back box, under playfield and pursuit lamps.

#18 11 years ago

So I am happy to report I was able to make my flipper strong!!! I am extremely proud right now as this was my first real repair. I watched the videos above and made some changes. I replaced the EOS switch which was not setup properly and I also changed out the sleeve coil. Now that my right flipper is at full strength the JD is so much more fun!!!!

I also think I figured out why half of the backbox lights dont work. I traced out the wires from the back box to one of the boards and found these fried connectors. I figure I just have to replace these connectors and the lights will work again? Not sure where to get these connectors for my machine and I am little hesitant to pull out the connector as the board feels brittle being 20 years old. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. thanks all.

#19 11 years ago

Im guessing you are talking about the female molex connectors that connect the wires to the power driver board or maybe the smaller boards under the play field? It is a good idea to change all the burned looking ones.

#20 11 years ago

Congrats on the Dredd, Kingfish. It's my first machine as well.

I was going to chime in but it seems like everyone else answered your questions.

"Dawson said:

I bought that mod. Color blue and it helped mucho mungo!"

Dawson/Pinballdad, how is that mod installed exactly? I'm thinking about going for one...

1 week later
#21 11 years ago

The mod is installed behind a board at the back of the playfield. Wires go up to the backbox and plug into 12v connector, then you plug what was unplugged to the back of the mod's connector. The guy that younbuy the mod from send pictured instructions. I did both that (blue) and the pulsing red shooter lane led kits. Makes a difference! And without damage to your machine.

ebay.com link: Judge Dredd Pinball Shooter Lanes Light Mod Kit

ebay.com link: Judge Dredd Pinball Playfield Light mod BLUE or RED

And to the original poster, I had to adjust my habitrail ramps as well. Nothing drastic, but makes a big difference to not have a ball slam around in the wrong place!

11 months later
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

I was able to adjust the right ramp at the bottom and raise it up about an inch. This completely solved the problem and has kept the ball from flying out.

I think I am having the same problem with the ball flying off of the ramp, does anyone know how I would be able to raise the ramp? Any help would be great.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

For the brightness, my JD was the same way. Super hard to play in a dark room. I went in to the Adjustment menu to A1 25 and said NO to Allow Dim GI.

Do not do this. Make sure dim gi is set for 2 mins and that it is on. . And it will dim the lights when game is on in ATTRACT mode only ......and only after 2 mins and it saves power and your connectors.
Soon as you hit the flipper button game started or not it comes back to bright again. My JD is very bright and all I did was clean everything when I got it. Check replace and upgrade connectors wherever necessary if the game seems dark.
As for raising the ramp where it attaches to the sling..... Just put plastic protectors on and a thick washer under the wireform before you add the nut and way you go!
Mine plays awesome and contact Pam at pinbits and get the dead world mod. It makes the game SOOOOO much better.

#24 10 years ago

I turn dim after 15 to off on every machine, not needed with rebuilt trifurcon connectors and home use.

As for the ramp, your issues, as I noted in another thread of yours, are either a broken weldment on the metal ring for the ball to fall into the right inlane, or because your ramp is so hacked from being broken, it just acts different. Many ramps have all kinds of hacks due to the end of the plastic ramp, that is attached to the metal wire ramp, breaking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 85.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.