Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Sarge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am considering buying a Judge Dredd from a local CL listing. Is the game any good? what do they usually sell for? its in overall good condition with a few dings in the cabinet- but the playfield seems nice. It has also been fitted with some LEDs.

thanks
peter

#2 11 years ago

Currently, I've seen them range from $1200 up to $2000 depending on condition.

I didn't like the game very much at first because I thought the playfield felt too cluttered (yes even for a widebody), but once I put more games on it & got further into it, it's actually pretty good. No shortage of shots, that's for damn sure. Another plus is that this game used the comic art instead of any kind of terrible Sylvester Stallone 90's movie art (that's all we need is another pin with a huge Sly head on the backbox, haha). It's a decent bang-for-your-buck pin if you can find one at a good price.

#3 11 years ago

Sold mine recently for $1450 no topper. Decent game for the money.

#4 11 years ago

great, great, great game.

don't tell anyone else tho. i wanna keep getting 'em for 1400

-jon

#5 11 years ago

it's not bad, if the new movie coming out kicks ass, it will start getting a lot more love.

#6 11 years ago

Excellent game! The deadworld mod is well worth the money too.

#7 11 years ago

ahhh, your looking to buy the one off of craigslist? I was waiting it out to see if he would drop his price one more time. He started it off pretty high for a JD.

#8 11 years ago

If its the same one I have seen on our local craigslist 2200 seems a bit high, unless its a must have game for you.

#9 11 years ago

Not bad, but rather go with a DM

#10 11 years ago

Judge dredd. The layout sure looks interesting. But playing it is a chore. It feels like its working against you - like you are trying to run in water. Not sure how else to describe it. Make sure you play it before buying it.

#11 11 years ago

IMO, JD is a great game. It has some of the best flow in all of pinball. I think the Deadworld mod is not worth the effort - it requires a special rom version that only supports free play and doesn't really offer any improvement in gameplay.

#12 11 years ago

My usual copy/paste as this gets asked at least once a month..

"Dredd is one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" games, and
probably the most affordable game with this much going on. It has the
coolest ball locks ever (with DW mod of course), hilarious animations,
great sound, 9 unique modes, 6 ball multiball, 5 drop targets, 4
flippers, 4 ramps, 3 captive balls, 2 smoking fast loops, and a
partridge...er...eagle in a pear tree! Plus Supergame has another
set of 4 different modes with an easily achievable 6 ball multiball
for the less skilled players or youngins who just want to see all the
balls. It's a hard machine that you won't get bored of quickly. My
only reservation is that you must be able to appreciate the comic book
art and dark (but hilarious) humor. The only real bummer about the
game to me is that I wish the crime scenes were used better. It sure
seems like more was planned for them, and some cool rules could have
been developed there. Oh well...still an awesome game as-is."

#13 11 years ago

Is this game a maintenance nightmare that so many people say it is? I might have a lead on one but am afraid that it will sit broken all of the time and I like machines that don't need to be fixed all the time.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Is this game a maintenance nightmare that so many people say it is? I might have a lead on one but am afraid that it will site broken all of the time and I like machines that don't need to be fixed all the time.

No more so than any others from that era. STTNG, TZ, etc...same issues. Lots of optos. If you do not use the DW mod, you can get away with some being a little flaky. If you do use the mod, everything has to be 100%...no exceptions. I think that's where it gets the reputation of needing more maintenance. Most games you can get away with a few issues, not this one (with mod anyway).

#15 11 years ago

I love my Dredd. I'd never played one before and only bought it because I got a great price. Figured it would fill a space in the lineup and quickly move out but it's still here 3 years later. Great flow, great humor, and pretty unique layout. One of the best bang for the bucks.

#16 11 years ago

I just picked up JD last week. This is my 4th time of owning this title and this one is here to stay.

#17 11 years ago

Huge bang for the buck, excellent machine, very very fun!!!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I am considering buying a Judge Dredd from a local CL listing. Is the game any good? what do they usually sell for? its in overall good condition with a few dings in the cabinet- but the playfield seems nice. It has also been fitted with some LEDs.
thanks
peter

Its a pretty good game. has lots of shots, good DMD animations, decent music. I would say 1200-1700 for the range (cab fade is the biggest issue to check for). LED's add nothing to the cost, ignore that when pricing it. I had one and will someday add another to the collection

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I just picked up JD last week. This is my 4th time of owning this title and this one is here to stay.

So you've said 3 times before?

#20 11 years ago

If anyone needs a new JD playfield, I have one sitting here that looks NOS.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Its a pretty good game. has lots of shots, good DMD animations, decent music. I would say 1200-1700 for the range (cab fade is the biggest issue to check for). LED's add nothing to the cost, ignore that when pricing it. I had one and will someday add another to the collection

LEDs do add to the cost if that's what you like. Cointaker sells complete kits for JD for around $200. Now if you don't like or value LEDs than you would be right, value 0.

I did like LEDs, paid for almost a full kit and love how it looks. When I sell I will price that into my selling price. I also wanted a topper and will price that in as well. I don't expect to get what I paid for those add ons back, but I would expect to recover some of my investment.

#22 11 years ago

I bought a JD one week ago, GREAT game, I love the theme and what they have done with it. The machine is full of things. The animation are great too. With the super game and buy extra ball, it's like having two games in one. (Buy extra ball give you a 4 ball multiball and battle against the 4 dark judges and supergame give you a 2 ball multiball, 4 additionnal modes and 6 ball multiball if you complete the drop targets).

#23 11 years ago

If you like easy multiball go with it

#24 11 years ago

The multiball in the game is the only thing I don't like - way to busy and those ramp shots are hard enough, even harder with 3 or 4 balls zinging around.

Anyway - great mods, great animation....love the callouts - except when my kids ask me "what is cannibalism daddy?" Bad impersanator always makes me smile.

#25 11 years ago

I have also owned and played many.....

If all the flippers, ramps, etc, are aligned and working right, the combo shots fly the ball all over the playfield...that makes it a great game with the deadworld mod.

Playing others, that were sluggish, I agree, it felt like work....

Hopefully this makes sense

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have also owned and played many.....
If all the flippers, ramps, etc, are aligned and working right, the combo shots fly the ball all over the playfield...that makes it a great game with the deadworld mod.
Playing others, that were sluggish, I agree, it felt like work....
Hopefully this makes sense

I have trouble getting the ball up either ramp - I can do it but the shot needs to be perfect. Is this the way the game was designed?

#27 11 years ago

Awesome game, but gets to be too easy...I need to open my outlanes up some more. The upper-right flipper area is a little clunky in my opinion, but everything else is pretty smooth.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have trouble getting the ball up either ramp - I can do it but the shot needs to be perfect. Is this the way the game was designed?

No - sounds like time for flipper rebuild - I can make my shots pretty easily and with speed.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

ahhh, your looking to buy the one off of craigslist? I was waiting it out to see if he would drop his price one more time. He started it off pretty high for a JD.

That was my JD but I didnt drop the price... youre thinkin of the other listing for $2600 collector quality thats not mine. I just sold mine for $2100. In CA your not going to get it much cheaper... $1400 forget about it! I sold a 1979 Bally Viking a month ago for $1200 and you think a JD is going only $200 more? Kiss this game bye bye for low bucks. With the rise in prices on other games its forcing up the price on other lower end games because some collectors are being forced out of the high end price range then end up competeing for these games.

#30 11 years ago

It's decent, but gets lost in my collection. If I had it in a collection of two or three pins I'd probably play the hell out of it, but as it stands I'd rather play my other pins more. I'm glad to see prices are on the rise, because I'll be selling it soon

#31 11 years ago

Loved it when I played it out. Got one home 2 months ago, and my feelings are kind of mixed. I agree that it feels like it is fighting you sometimes. There is flow to it, but I have a hard time sustaining it. I know that probably means I should just get better at it, but no other pin pisses me off quite like JD. I'm not saying I don't like it because it is difficult(which I personally think it is), but I just seem to not have that much fun when I play it. I'm hoping that changes with more time.

#32 11 years ago

The more I play it, the more I am enjoying mine, but it can be a frustrating game at times. Especially how it launches balls that go straight between the flippers and drain if you don't hit them with the upper left flipper. This is really bad during multiball when I get focused on the main flippers and miss hitting the ones being auto launched. It is helping me learn to be more aware of the entire board and not just right in front of me.

#33 11 years ago

I love the Judge Dredd
Its got so much goin for it, the art, dots, and sound are worthy at this pricepoint alone, then throw in the fact that it has all these features its just maddening!

It is a widebody that plays like a regular machine, I honestly forget that is is a widebody (until it needs to be moved).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.50
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 85.00
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-good-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.