Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by joekiss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I bought the Deadworld mod. game worked 100% before. Put DW in and the lower right flipper just quit. Put old ROM back in lower right flipper still doesn't work. Checked all fuses connections etc. Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

What happens in a coil test for the right flipper coil? What about switch test for the right flipper button?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I bought the Deadworld mod. game worked 100% before. Put DW in and the lower right flipper just quit. Put old ROM back in lower right flipper still doesn't work. Checked all fuses connections etc. Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

I can't see how changing to the deadworld mod would have affected your flippers. I really doubt swapping over the ROM would have shorted anything out, considering that's not anywhere near the driver board and the 50v section. It could just be one of those annoying and unrelated issues that pop up, seemingly at the same time as doing other work, adding mod's etc. So what does happen in test mode?

#4 9 years ago

the flipper still didn't work after I put the old rom back in. Could I have knocked something loose or blown something?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

the flipper still didn't work after I put the old rom back in. Could I have knocked something loose or blown something?

Anything is possible. Might be something you did. Might have been a coincidence. Wasn't the ROM.

Tell us what happens when you test the coil and appropriate switches in test mode.

#6 9 years ago

Agreed, we need you to do coil test and switch test to narrow down what direction to point you in.

Also, did you test your fuses with a meter or just look at them? Sometimes they can look great but test bad.

#7 8 years ago

Did you look at the wires on the coil? At the flipper switch?

Did you try switch test as advised? Fuses? Check all easy stuff first

It is the KISS method first always, as you may have accidentally pulled off a wire while working.

#8 8 years ago

I got t working with the old ROM in. Put deadworld ROM in and it quit again. Flipper fires fine on coil test. As far as switch test the upper flipper works so I assume the button is working fine. All fuses checked with a multimeter.

#9 8 years ago

What now?

#10 8 years ago

How did you get it working again with the old rom? (Previously you said that it didn't work with either rom). If you literally aren't doing anything aside from swapping the ROM - then maybe a pin is bent or not making it properly into its slot when you're inserting it?

Quoted from joekiss:

As far as switch test the upper flipper works so I assume the button is working fine

There are actually two different flipper optos...one for the lower and one for the upper. I don't have mine in front of me now - but I'd assume that each will trigger different things in the switch test. There should be two different stages....press it in a little bit and you'll trigger the opto for the lower flipper, press it in all the way and you'll trigger the opto for the upper flipper. (And yes, if you're fancy, you can operate them independently while playing - it's called Stage Flipping).

#11 8 years ago

You guys with those fancy pants pins. Wish I had a flipper problem like that.....staged flippers.
Sounds like a good clue for sure. I am very interested to see if just coincidence of not.

#12 8 years ago

Solenoid test works-flipper fires. switch test flipper does not register. The other 3 register when button is pushed...

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Solenoid test works-flipper fires. switch test flipper does not register. The other 3 register when button is pushed...

So which upper flipper isn't working, left or right?

#14 8 years ago

Lower right isn't working. Upper right is fine.

#15 8 years ago

Nothing?

#16 8 years ago

It could be a dodgy opto, might even be a loose wire to the opto board, that would explain the on, off and on again. I still doubt it has anything to do with the ROM change over though.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Quoted from ryanwanger:

There should be two different stages....press it in a little bit and you'll trigger the opto for the lower flipper, press it in all the way and you'll trigger the opto for the upper flipper.

Sorry for the confusion...I'm not asking if the flipper fires in the switch test. The switch test is for testing switches, not coils. Does the *switch* for the flipper button register in switch test? If you press it in halfway, it should tell you that the opto for the lower flipper was triggered. If you press it all the way, it should tell you the opto for the upper flipper was triggered. Pay attention to what happens on the display...because triggering the flipper switch might also flip a flipper, which will then trigger the EOS switch...but you'd see both of those fire on the display (and hear a beep).

If it doesn't register the opto switch for the lower flipper, then you should clean the optos with a q-tip and simple green or something similar. You'd wedge it in the black slot of the optos, which are the thing inside the cabinet that the flipper buttons are pressing into.

#18 8 years ago

So s it prob the opto board or the connections to it?

#19 8 years ago

Well do know that you can use any digital camera to see if the transmit part of the opto is outputting light

You can pull the board check header pins.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

So s it prob the opto board or the connections to it?

joekiss, you need to learn how to use the switch test to see if the flipper button switches (which happen to be optos) are working. I think I've been very clear about how to do it, but ask for clarification if not. This is the first thing I would check if it were me but since you haven't done that, I'm not going to try and help troubleshoot any further.

Sounds to me like the one controlling the lower right is not registering and needs to be cleaned.

The switch information is on page 2-42 of the manual. I suspect that "Lower Right Flipper Cabinet" will not appear on the DMD in switch test when you press the button halfway...but "Upper Right Flipper Cabinet" will appear once you press it all the way down.

#21 8 years ago

There are two types of switch tests, and I forget which is which, but you want the one that comes first in the menu.

#22 8 years ago

I id the switch test. Upper right and both left flippers register fine. lower right doesn't register at all.

#23 8 years ago

Is that with the mod rom in??

Now put the original in and retest the switch test and see if results change.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I id the switch test. Upper right and both left flippers register fine. lower right doesn't register at all.

Just to clarify, we're not talking about whether the flipper flips or not, we're talking about if the switches register. So the *switch* for the lower right doesn't register, but all the other ones do? Clean the opto with a q-tip as suggested. If it still doesn't register, then you might need to replace it.

#25 8 years ago

Could be a loose connection too. Resolder the wires to the switch.

If it works with the regular ROM in it, but doesn't work when you put the deadworld ROM in, my first thought is that it's a coincidence. My second thought is, no really, it's a coincidence and there is some other issue. There is no reason it shouldn't work. My third thought is to just not use the deadworld ROM.

#26 8 years ago

Oh, just saw your other post. Didn't realize it was an IDC connector. Maybe you're on the right track. Cleaning the opto should be first though.

#27 8 years ago

Im gonna switch the entire board with another one that I know works.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Im gonna switch the entire board with another one that I know works.

You can also swap the opto boards, right to left and see if the problem goes to the left flipper. If it does it's either a dirty / dodgy opto or in the wiring.

#29 8 years ago

Really clean the opto and switch the flipper board before going off the deep end and swapping mpu boards.

I never suggest new roms to fix a problem. But in this case it sounded like he had a fully working game changed rom had issue. But now that he is using switch test and is seeing that it is not reporting the lower right flipper. Put the original back and see if it still reports the same. It should. Then keep the original rom in and fix.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

You can also swap the opto boards, right to left and see if the problem goes to the left flipper. If it does it's either a dirty / dodgy opto or in the wiring.

Not on jd they are different

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not on jd they are different

Absolutely Correct!
I just checked my JD and realised i was thinking about the opto boards on my STTNG machine, my mistake
SORRY to the OP, i was thinking it may have been an easy way to narrow down the possibilities to what your issue is.

#32 8 years ago

Yeah trying to help when not familiar with machine is sometimes not good.
Just hoping to spark some basic trouble shooting ideas.
So i am going to sideline this issue.
There should be enough JD owners out there to help.

#33 8 years ago

Working now. Was connector for switch 1 on the opto board. Jammed the wire in the connector and its working now. I need to buy the t-tool Thanks for the help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-flipper-quit-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.