• 30 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Stack15
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well it was working fine yesterday!!

Check out the video. The game plays great until the drops need resetting and then it goes haywire. If the drops try to reset at the start of the next ball the ball shoots out of the launch area too. The two coils in question are on the same thin pink and green wire. Could this be a wire short?

I did dismantle the whole drop assembly and put it back in. Maybe something went wrong there? But it was working fine yesterday. Ideas?

#2 10 years ago

Did you check the drop target optos in switch edge test to be sure all work ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Yes. All optos working. As usual I am stumped.

#4 10 years ago

Any other switches closed that should be open ?

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Nope. I'm trying to upload my video again. It seems to not have worked.

#6 10 years ago

I can't get a video to load. The drops pop part way up and down, part way up and down, part way up and down.... Etc. the dead world spins and if a ball hits the shooter lane it fires.

I am so confused.

#7 10 years ago

I think I figured it out. The drop return coil does not have enough strength to pull them back up every time. Is there a stronger coil I can put in there? I have the drop assembly out now trying to figure out how to make it easier to push up but still have the downward power needed to be sharp.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Is there a stronger coil I can put in there? I

If it worked before, that coil is strong enough, unless it is defective. Should be replaced with same # coil.

#9 10 years ago

It worked for a day now it has problems about 90% of the time. I bought 10 of the 10-364 springs but they aren't strong enough at the loosest setting so I have to short cut them and apparently the coil isn't strong enough to push those up.

Or maybe I just put the assembely back together wrong.

#10 10 years ago

1:30 AM and it is still not fixed. I have pulled the drop target assembly four times. The problem is in there. New targets, new springs, new washers, new target catch thingy. The G target has the highest failure rate followed by the U target. The others catch the up position almost every time.

I am beginning to think the issue is a lack of screws holding the assembly in the playfield. There are only four when it shoul be eight. That's about the only thing that isn't new. I held the assembly straight up and down and did the targets. Then with the targets face down and again with them gave up. A little bit of gravity makes a difference in how they catch.

The other odd thing is the G and U targets like to go up a little sideways. This upsets me.

#11 10 years ago

I don't know why it took 12 hours for a six second video to upload. But here is the first version of the problem. Now they reset but the U takes two tried and the G usually doesn't make it.

http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k524/sellingstuff2011/?action=view¤t=53954CC7-B818-4B2B-B79F-5F66788CA523-7100-00000696BDD96AE7_zpsd6b2223e.mp4&evt=user_media_share

#13 10 years ago

Does this one work?? Should be the 26 second video.

I wanted to share something on Photobucket with you!

http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/sellingstuff2011/library/?sort=6&src=wap&page=1

Sent from my iPhone

#14 10 years ago

My Rollergames was doing something similar on its 3 bank drop target. Have you replaced the coil sleeve and plunger? Not 100% sure that will fix your issue but it did the trick for my game.

#15 10 years ago

Yes to the sleeve. I do not have a replacement plunger. I sanded the current one. Nice and smooth.

#16 10 years ago

So if you push the reset mechanism with your fingers, the drop targets reset properly?

#17 10 years ago

Have your solders on the coil become compromised by taking it on and off so many times?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

So if you push the reset mechanism with your fingers, the drop targets reset properly?

Yes. I am home now. Going to look at it again here in a minute. I bought eight more screws (same size) at the hardware store. I think that will help line it up properly.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Have your solders on the coil become compromised by taking it on and off so many times?

I don't think so. The coil fires nice and loud.

#20 10 years ago

I cleaned everything, adjusted some stuff, put it back and the drops work kind of okay now. The game is playable.

The new problem is that drops two and four - the U and G - both get off track some (heavy on the spring side) and don't sit at the top correctly as they are blocked by the thing with the screw in it. I did widdle away some of those thingies but I guess not enough.

So how does one keep their drops moving strictly up/down? My U and G want to go a little to the left as you look at them (aka their right or towards where your left hand flipper is). It may go six resets with one of the U and/or G targets not setting properly. Then both will work great for about ten rests... then they go back to being lazy.

My best idea is to pull the drops again, remove those two screws and completely sand the bar flat in those areas. What do you think?

#21 10 years ago

I feel like something is missing in this troubleshooting process. Is it correct that the drops were working, you replaced the springs, then cut them, and now you have the problem? I would stop making changes to things and instead focus on the possibility that you do not have the correct springs on the game (since they are cut, this sounds pretty certain). If you are still having the problem with another coil triggering , maybe check the diode - but I would solve one problem at a time.

After replacing with the correct springs, I'd take detail pictures if the drops are still not aligning properly and see if someone can offer a thought.

#22 10 years ago

Is it taboo to squirt a little graphite lube dust in them? I did that to fix my stiff taxi drops.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

It worked for a day now it has problems about 90% of the time. I bought 10 of the 10-364 springs but they aren't strong enough at the loosest setting so I have to short cut them and apparently the coil isn't strong enough to push those up.
Or maybe I just put the assembely back together wrong.

10-364 is most commonly a flipper extension spring.

10-362 is most commonly a target retractor spring.

That may explain why you had to cut the spring, even though I see that the manual states to use a 10-364. As btw75 mentioned, this may not be your only problem.

#24 10 years ago

I have the 10-364s. I went through 10 of them. I will order 10 of each when I put in my next shipment request. Thanks!

The game is playable now. Those two targets just have a high failure rate.

#25 10 years ago

I had something similar with mine for the longest time. For mine, the E would never quite reset. I spent ages looking at it and felt really silly about it because I can usually diagnose and fix problems like that in five minutes.

For mine, it ended up being that the bracket holding the coil was bent ever so slightly. By doing that, the coil would fire but the targets wouldn't fully reset to the top, stopping just short. They would drop again, and the game would try to reset them - it sounds like this is exactly what you have going on now.

At the same time, the springs definitely sound screwed up. I'd leave it for a bit, get the new springs in, replace the springs and then if it still isn't working, try bending the thing that holds the coil ever so slightly in and out and see if it changes it at all. After probably 6 hours of me messing with that, I figured I'd try bending it... haven't had a problem in 3+ years now.

#26 10 years ago

Thanks man! I tried readjusting the springs some and they are getting better but still not perfect. I have about 21 hours in the drop target assembly. Every new game I get there is usually ONE thing that takes 20 hours.

Hey one time it was a roll over switch. So at least now I have moved up to assemblies. Haha

#27 10 years ago

Heh, don't worry - once you learn it once, you tend to learn it for all of the times in the future too. After spending so much time on my JD drops, I haven't had a machine with drops that I haven't figured out almost immediately.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

10-364 is most commonly a flipper extension spring.
10-362 is most commonly a target retractor spring.
That may explain why you had to cut the spring, even though I see that the manual states to use a 10-364. As btw75 mentioned, this may not be your only problem.

10-364 is listed everywhere as a target retractor spring as well... looking at pictures as well as the parts list, I'd say 10-364 is the correct spring to use.
Even the later production parts catalog lists 10-364 as being the correct spring: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_Grey_16-9562-A/index.html#/414/zoomed

#30 10 years ago

Thanks everyone. The targets are working correctly about 80% of the time now. I may buy another game tomorrow and then put in a parts order. I will include more springs and things in my next order. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-drops-resetting-like-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.