(Topic ID: 61237)

Judge Dredd: does this post have a sleeve?

By nosro

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by nosro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC05315.JPG
u.png
img_8575.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Do you put a sleeve on this post?

The official manual does not state to put a sleeve there, but I have seen a few restorations where they put a sleeve there. It is certainly strange to think that the designers put a post with no sleeve in that location when they could have just as easily eliminated the post altogether if they wanted less bounce. Is the manual in error?

img_8575.jpg u.png

#2 6 years ago

Moving to technical help so this doesn't get buried too quick on you. Yea, I would put a sleeve on that post . . . odd that they would leave one exposed like that.

#3 6 years ago

I did. Anything to make those outlines friendlier! The slings love to fire straight at them.

In the lowest position though it does make the inlane gap absurdly small. Maybe they decided against recommending a rubber for that reason?

#4 6 years ago

I have one on mine. If you took the post out you would hit right on the edge of the guide. Not a nice thing to hit at the speed that the balls seems to be moving at(hauling some serious @$$)

#5 6 years ago

Yeah-put it on and be done with that nasty metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Joe

#6 6 years ago

My JD had one & it was HUO with original rubber. Although it should be noted that around this time I know at least on CFTBL... b/w did use bare metal outlane posts, factory. So IDK. But yeah JD can be hard enough, go ahead & put on a sleeve.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

I have one on mine. If you took the post out you would hit right on the edge of the guide. Not a nice thing to hit at the speed that the balls seems to be moving at(hauling some serious @$$)

The other side has a bare metal edge though! You're right about the ball speed — my JD had one of the tabs break on the guide closest to the left flipper. I had to weld it back on :S

And I recall when shopping it out I found another broken tab somewhere. They get hit hard and hit often!

#8 6 years ago

Yes,mine has bare metal post also.As in manual.Hmmmmmmmmm interesting!

#9 6 years ago

Mine didn't have a sleeve when I got it, but I put one on there.

#10 6 years ago

Bare metal is the lawwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! oopps! I guess I added a rubber too!

#11 6 years ago

I've had two Judge Dredds, both of them came without any sleeve on the post. I put sleeves on them whether the designers wanted them or not because I'll certainly not have a ball slamming into a bare metal post like that.

#12 6 years ago

Yes it should have a normal post sleeve on it. The rubber list breakdowns are usually missing information on post sleeves and mini post rings.

#13 6 years ago

I want to add a post to the left side of the left ramp.... But where?

#15 6 years ago

Yea, somewhere around there. Hard shots have a tendency to get through or up over the ramp edge somehow. Not often, but seems like a post should have been there.

I feel like I had similar issues with my last JD.

#16 6 years ago

I can't picture what you mean. The EB target beside the left ramp is wide enough to cover the left orbit side rail and the edge of the left ramp. What are you getting air balls from? The EB target or the ramp flap?

#17 6 years ago

Mine has a sleeve... I wouldn't be surprised if the manual was just wrong. Seems the ones I've seen on youtube also have it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Yes it should have a normal post sleeve on it. The rubber list breakdowns are usually missing information on post sleeves and mini post rings.

The one I played in the arcade when it was new did not have a rubber sleeve. And I remember it
well.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I can't picture what you mean. The EB target beside the left ramp is wide enough to cover the left orbit side rail and the edge of the left ramp. What are you getting air balls from? The EB target or the ramp flap?

Okay, my issue fixed. Should have known better, but EB Target was slightly misaligned. Enough, to cause hard shots to push through on occasion. I think I have it correct now straight up and down, and tight. Thanks.

And to stay on topic mine has a sleeve. Seems like the post was made for it.

#20 6 years ago

no Rubber there. Adding it does make those outlanes more forgiving though.

#21 6 years ago

I'm not sure it makes it more forgiving... I often have this bad bounce from the o-ring on the left side of the outlane, back to the post and bounces straight up and into the outlane. I would guess that there's not much bounce off of straight metal.

#22 6 years ago

I added a sleeve to mine as well. I didn't like the metal on metal contact. The more forgiving outlane is a bonus.

1 month later
#23 6 years ago

here's a pic of mine. White is the Law!-Joe

DSC05315.JPG

#24 6 years ago

No sleeve on mine. It's gone now but my memory is good

#25 6 years ago

I had been playing without a sleeve for a while. Since the original post, I put a sleeve on. As a result, I noticed that the ball rarely travels into the inlane (due to the sleeve narrowing the gap) and is far more likely to go through the outlane. I then adjusted the posts to narrow the outlane gap with the result that the ball is far more likely to bounce away from the outlane and inlane area altogether and directly toward the flipper. My guess is that the sleeve was removed to fix this imbalance and I am thinking of removing the sleeve.

Is there some other option, such as an ultra-thin sleeve?

#26 6 years ago

I have an early prototype JD and it has the sleeve on the post.

#27 6 years ago

had been playing without a sleeve for a while. Since the original post, I put a sleeve on. As a result, I noticed that the ball rarely travels into the inlane (due to the sleeve narrowing the gap) and is far more likely to go through the outlane. I then adjusted the posts to narrow the outlane gap with the result that the ball is far more likely to bounce away from the outlane and inlane area altogether and directly toward the flipper. My guess is that the sleeve was removed to fix this imbalance and I am thinking of removing the sleeve.

Is there some other option, such as an ultra-thin sleeve?

I've had the opposite results with the ball going more into the inlane than the outlane. Not sure why our results are different.-Joe

#28 6 years ago

Did you just buy that JD online?

#29 6 years ago

If you were asking me, no, I did not buy it online. It did not come with a sleeve when I got it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside