image.jpg
image-523.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-249.jpg
image-715.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

Did you take something to the playfield like a magic eraser? These playfields will never have that shine like a good clear coated one has. But you should be able to get a nice sheen if polished right.

No sir. I actually only used Novus and cheese cloth. But I think it sat so long with a layer of dust before I got it.

#202 9 years ago

http://www.autogeek.net/sapphire-prewax-cleaner-840.html

Try this instead of Novus, I have done 12 games with it and it has worked fantastic, you put it on like a wax, let it dry, the wipe it off.. it will dry to a haze.. then a buff, then wax..

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

http://www.autogeek.net/sapphire-prewax-cleaner-840.html
Try this instead of Novus, I have done 12 games with it and it has worked fantastic, you put it on like a wax, let it dry, the wipe it off.. it will dry to a haze.. then a buff, then wax..

Thanks I will give it a try. Much appreciated.

#204 9 years ago

Got my new dmd board installed. Any idea why I'm getting this on the display?

image-124.jpgimage-124.jpg
#205 9 years ago

Closer pic of the DMD board might help? So we can see if any of the cables are not on right?

#206 9 years ago

Those look like the OLD cables..

Check every connection, make sure there is not one that is a row off, it is easy to put them on and miss a row or two.. also make sure all are in the proper direction.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yeah, I think you probably will need new ribbon cables.
Try and reseat then 2 more times. Make sure they are not plugged in one row off.

Just as I mentioned on page 2. New ribbon cables definitely would be helpful if you reseat them and the DMD begins to work.

Can you measure the voltages at the power connector at the DMD and report what you see? I would like to see what the voltages are.

#208 9 years ago

image-97.jpgimage-97.jpg
#209 9 years ago

Just as I mentioned on page 2. New ribbon cables definitely would be helpful if you reseat them and the DMD begins to work.
Can you measure the voltages at the power connector at the DMD and report what you see? I would like to see what the voltages are.

I have a multi meter. Where do I check? And what do I set it at ?

#210 9 years ago

Here?

image-648.jpgimage-648.jpg image-810.jpgimage-810.jpg
#211 9 years ago

I reseated the ribbon cables and got this to show up.

image-291.jpgimage-291.jpg image-510.jpgimage-510.jpg
#212 9 years ago

I'd go for a new set of ribbon cables. Remember, they are 20 years old.

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I'd go for a new set of ribbon cables. Remember, they are 20 years old.

Do you think the dmd needs to be replaced? Or just try the ribbon cables first?

#214 9 years ago

Dmd should be fine just not receiving the data correctly

#215 9 years ago

Well, measuring at the pins that the cable plugs into the DMD. May not really need to do anymore.
Ribbon cables....need to be replaced next.

#216 9 years ago

Ok thanks guys. I'll order them up.

#217 9 years ago

if you're getting the ribbon cables from Great Plains Electronics, might as well get a batch of 15-20 opto transmitters.

#218 9 years ago

New ribbon cables and optos on their way. I also ordered all new coil sleeves , springs, and most of the coils just in case I run across any that are no good. I do still need flipper rebuild kit for all four flippers. I realized the ball shooter on the right side was missing so that needs to be ordered and I need playfield glass and legs. Anyone have any of these items they are looking to sell?

#219 9 years ago

I thought you were going to order the new cables 2 weeks ago..

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I thought you were going to order the new cables 2 weeks ago..

I must have forgotten. I was so focused on getting the boards ordered. I'm going to see if I can clean the inside of the ribbon cable connecters for the heck of it tonight. I'm replacing them anyway so it doesn't much matter if it makes them worse right?

#221 9 years ago

Personally, I would wait for the new ones... you know something is wrong, why risk more damage..

#222 9 years ago

i would not use any type of cleaner on the ribbon cable connections.
You can try to reseat it again and maybe it will get better, maybe it will get worse.
I would leave it as is right now and go into switch edge tests and check all the switches that are still connected to make sure those are all working at least.

#223 9 years ago

Here is something else you can do. Remove the DMD out of JD and connect it up into Cue Ball Wizard to see if there are any lines out. I hope not. You only have 2 connectors so that is easy to do. Just make sure you hold the DMD by the edges or you will feel the high voltage.

In case there are lines out, might I suggest a ColorDMD!!!
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-judge-dredd-pinball-machine/
I have one installed and just waiting for the color ROM update on Friday.

#224 9 years ago

Here is something else you can do. Remove the DMD out of JD and connect it up into Cue Ball Wizard to see if there are any lines out. I hope not. You only have 2 connectors so that is easy to do. Just make sure you hold the DMD by the edges or you will feel the high voltage.
In case there are lines out, might I suggest a ColorDMD!!!
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-judge-dredd-pinball-machine/
I have one installed and just waiting for the color ROM update on Friday.

I was wondering if I could try that and you just confirmed I can. I will do it.
Also I used the alcohol in the ends of the ribbon cables and then blew them out with the compressor and plugged them all back in. The display actually did get much cleaybut still had some lines going down it.

#225 9 years ago

And yes if I end up needing a new display, I will definitely go for the color one. What the hell at this point might as well spend the extra dough.

#226 9 years ago

Hooked it up to the CBW and it seems like the last few lines are missing. Can it be fixed?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-112.jpgimage-112.jpg
#227 9 years ago

No.

viperrwk

#228 9 years ago

Ive fixed alot of dmd with a line or 2 out depending on some things

#229 9 years ago

Vishay used to fix their displays. They don't do it anymore. Unless you know exactly what's wrong with it, the time and effort to track the problem down combined with the hassle of removing and replacing the glass isn't worth it.

If this is a job Vishay or Rob Anthony wouldn't do (not to say he couldn't), it's not a job for the OP.

viperrwk

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Vishay used to fix their displays. They don't do it anymore. Unless you know exactly what's wrong with it, the time and effort to track the problem down combined with the hassle of removing and replacing the glass isn't worth it.
If this is a job Vishay or Rob Anthony wouldn't do (not to say he couldn't), it's not a job for the OP.
viperrwk

I figured out where the issue is. WHen I get home later i'll post a few pics of what I think needs fixing. Problem is I'm not sure if this is fixable. Anyway, Mylar arrived today.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I figured out where the issue is. WHen I get home later i'll post a few pics of what I think needs fixing. Problem is I'm not sure if this is fixable.

If the pins are broken at the glass (a common failure) it is sometimes possible to repair the board. If you have replacement pins (which are unobtainable unless scrounged off an old board), and depending on where the break is, it's actually pretty easy. If not it takes a little skill and luck.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

If the pins are broken at the glass (a common failure) it is sometimes possible to repair the board. If you have replacement pins (which are unobtainable unless scrounged off an old board), and depending on where the break is, it's actually pretty easy. If not it takes a little skill and luck.

I see, thanks for the insight Terry.

#233 9 years ago

Mylar is here!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-188.jpgimage-188.jpg
#234 9 years ago

That mylar is going to be a bitch to install if you have never done it before.

step 1 make sure playfeild is clean and wipe it down with a 90% rubbing alcohol.
step 2 mix a spray bottle with clean water 2 drops of baby shampoo and a capful of the alcohol.
step 3 spray a good mist on the mylar and apply to playfeild .. the fluid will let you adjust or pull it up if you need too.
step 4 press mylar with soft clean rag to press out any fluid and wipe up any fluid as well.

Any spots in mylar will disappear in a few days and mylar will stay put.

good luck ... dredd is a great game ... love me some super ball

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

That mylar is going to be a bitch to install if you have never done it before.
step 1 make sure playfeild is clean and wipe it down with a 90% rubbing alcohol.
step 2 mix a spray bottle with clean water 2 drops of baby shampoo and a capful of the alcohol.
step 3 spray a good mist on the mylar and apply to playfeild .. the fluid will let you adjust or pull it up if you need too.
step 4 press mylar with soft clean rag to press out any fluid and wipe up any fluid as well.
Any spots in mylar will disappear in a few days and mylar will stay put.
good luck ... dredd is a great game ... love me some super ball

Did you install it on your JD?

#236 9 years ago

Yes, that Mylar is not going to be easy, you have a tough road ahead of you. The main area would be easy but it's those other delicate areas like the kick back and upper tunnel. You have to start somewhere and you have it so try it. I think it is overkill for a home machine. Just wax the playfield every few months and it will be fine.

#237 9 years ago

Why mylar a home use game? Most people tend to remove the mylar, if you keep it clean and waxed in a home use environment, it is really not worth the effort.

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Why mylar a home use game? Most people tend to remove the mylar, if you keep it clean and waxed in a home use environment, it is really not worth the effort.

Actually, this Mylar just floats. There is no install. The ball guides , flipper bats, etc. hold it in place. It's pretty impressive how precise they cut this thing to fit. I'll take pics later.

#239 9 years ago

Is it mylar? Or did you get an acrylic playfield overlay? I installed an acrylic overlay on my STTNG with great results. Looks similar to what you have there. BTW, you won't need the DMD board you just bought if you go with the ColorDMD...

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Actually, this Mylar just floats. There is no install. The ball guides , flipper bats, etc. hold it in place. It's pretty impressive how precise they cut this thing to fit. I'll take pics later.

Is that the one that is called "playfield protector"?

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Did you install it on your JD?

No I don't own one......... I agree with the other guys saying just wax it real good.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from ksmmspt:

Is it mylar? Or did you get an acrylic playfield overlay? I installed an acrylic overlay on my STTNG with great results. Looks similar to what you have there. BTW, you won't need the DMD board you just bought if you go with the ColorDMD...

I think your right, it's actually called a Playfield protecter.

That good news regarding the dmd board. I can sell it or keep it as a spare for future games.
Thanks for the info.

1 week later
#245 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

raleigh.craigslist.org link
Here you go

Thanks jason but bad news. My ceilings in the basement won't allow me to add a topper. Bummer right? I can barely fit the Hieght of the machines.

#246 9 years ago

Maybe you can still buy it and find a place to mount it in the basement. It would be good to have a topper for resale in the future.

#247 9 years ago

Maybe you can still buy it and find a place to mount it in the basement. It would be good to have a topper for resale in the future.

I was thinking that too. Wonder if the guy will ship it.

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I was thinking that too. Wonder if the guy will ship it.

Hell, I'll be asking if he'll ship it for that price or even less.
New reproductions were $125 plus shipping for the shiny gold ones from Illinois Pinball.

#249 9 years ago

I got the new ribbon cables finally, took 11 day's, replaced the old cables and I'm still getting lines down the dmd display. Anyone have any idea why? Thanks.

#250 9 years ago

Some examples.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-352.jpgimage-352.jpg image-262.jpgimage-262.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-dilemma/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.