image.jpg
image-523.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-249.jpg
image-715.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
#801 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

What do you guys think? I think I finally have it pretty fine tuned after a few trial and error attempts. I'm picking up a scroll saw tommorow so I will be able to cut the shape of the plastic pretty much perfect. This one was done free hand with a multi saw. Whoever is happy let me know, I'll start making for each.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

You know I'm in for one

#802 8 years ago

Me to

#804 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

It looks great.

Thanks, and the ones I send you guys will look way better. Like I said, I finally realized what to do differently after about 3 failed attempts. I'll have them sent out to you guys before the weeks end. No guarantee of course but very likely.

#805 8 years ago

This hear sink is getting super hot in a minute after turning the game on and I'm still getting bad fuzz and static out of that channel. It's the back box speaker panel. Does that mean the C20 cap is bad?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#806 8 years ago

Are the spekers wired correctly?

#807 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Are the spekers wired correctly?

I think so because everything was working fine for the first few days and then all of a sudden the one channel started machine gunning.

#808 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Whoever is happy let me know

I'm always happy!

#809 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I think so because everything was working fine for the first few days and then all of a sudden the one channel started machine gunning.

Is it have alll the correct speakers ? I believe all 3 sld be 4ohm and so the amp dont overload need to be wired correctly and 4ohm ?

#810 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is it have alll the correct speakers ? I believe all 3 sld be 4ohm and so the amp dont overload need to be wired correctly and 4ohm ?

Yes all are 4 ohm speakers. Only the 5.25 in the backbox panel is an after market speaker. But it wattage and ohms are exact to the original that was in there.

#811 8 years ago

Can someone tell me which side is the positive and which is negative?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-768.jpgimage-768.jpg
#812 8 years ago

I switched out what I thought was a bad capacitor and now both channels have a really loud buzzing sound as soon as I turn the machine on. I was wondering if I put the new cap in backwards.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#813 8 years ago

The --- is the minus side. If it is installed correctly then check the through-holes and traces and make sure one didn't get damaged. If it was improperly installed you may have new problems.

#814 8 years ago

The black is correct at least

#815 8 years ago

Thanks Terry. Did I take the through holes out with the old cap? This is it.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#816 8 years ago
image.jpgimage.jpg
#817 8 years ago

Even know you probably dont need them here some pictures. Is the sub buzzing also now? One channel is for backbox and other is for cab speaker.20150513_202913.jpg20150513_202913.jpg20150513_202917.jpg20150513_202917.jpg20150513_203020.jpg20150513_203020.jpg20150513_203024.jpg20150513_203024.jpg

#818 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Even know you probably dont need them here some pictures. Is the sub buzzing also now? One channel is for backbix and other is for cab speake.20150513_202913.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150513_202917.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150513_203020.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150513_203024.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Thanks Big D. Yes the sub channel was fine until I switched the cap out just now. Thanks for the pics.
Also, if I switched connecters and put the panel speakers on the sub channel, they worked fine so I think the speakers are fine.

#819 8 years ago

You'll have to check the through-holes and traces with a meter, can't tell much by looking at the cap.

#820 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Thanks Big D. Yes the sub channel was fine until I switched the cap out just now. Thanks for the pics.
Also, if I switched connecters and put the panel speakers on the sub channel, they worked fine so I think the speakers are fine.

Yea man just wanted make sure you had everything right before you started doing things it didn't need.you will be a professional after this pin for sure. I had a pin like this and I learned on it and things are much easier now.if I can help in any way let me know

#821 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea man just wanted make sure you had everything right before you started doing things it didn't need.you will be a professional after this pin for sure. I had a pin like this and I learned on it and things are much easier now.if I can help in any way let me know

Can I have your sound board?

#822 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You'll have to check the through-holes and traces with a meter, can't tell much by looking at the cap.

Can you step me through the process? I know it's asking a lot. But it would be much appreciated.

#823 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Can I have your sound board?

If I had other pins with dcs sound board id let you borrow it but jd is my only one other than congo but its totally different. I can only play one at a time lol.i wish I would have bought the extras a while back .you will get it fixed sounds like your on the correct track

#824 8 years ago

Meter in diode/continuity mode. First check the through-holes. Red lead on one side of the board and black on the other. Do not touch the probe leads to the capacitor lead (if it's installed). Just touch to the pad on each side.

For the traces check the schematic and see where the trace from each lead of the cap runs to (sometimes there are traces on both sides, so check that). Again meter in diode/continuity and test from the capacitor lead to the next component. Rinse and repeat for the other lead.

#825 8 years ago

Thanks Terry. Wish I had a buck for every time I said that throughout this project.

I'll give that a try.

But just to make sure I put the original cap back in and I got the sub woofer channel back clean. Still have the same bad static on the original issue with the panel speakers so I'm guessing I did pull the through holes out with the original cap. Can I buy through holes at the electronics store? I found an amazing electronics store by my job. They have everything.

#826 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

If I had other pins with dcs sound board id let you borrow it but jd is my only one other than congo but its totally different. I can only play one at a time lol.i wish I would have bought the extras a while back .you will get it fixed sounds like your on the correct track

I got ya. Btw your jd looks super clean from what I can tell from the pics. Good stuff.

#827 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

But just to make sure I put the original cap back in and I got the sub woofer channel back clean.

That sounds like the new cap might have been bad rather than a through-hole issue. It's also possible you were able to make a connection with the old cap that was open with the new cap. It does appear the newer cap has smaller leads.

Where did you get the new cap?

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I got ya. Btw your jd looks super clean from what I can tell from the pics. Good stuff.

Yea its all matching numbers if you care about that stuff and is about as nice of a pin as they come . New ramps and pretty much everything that was damaged or had a mark on it

#829 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

That sounds like the new cap might have been bad rather than a through-hole issue. It's also possible you were able to make a connection with the old cap that was open with the new cap. It does appear the newer cap has smaller leads.
Where did you get the new cap?

The new electronics store by my job. I actually bought 2 new caps. Should I try the other one?

#830 8 years ago

Does this look correct for testing the new cap?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-620.jpgimage-620.jpg
#831 8 years ago

There's no accurate way of testing a cap other than an ESR meter. You can do the diode/continuity test as a very rough equivelant just to make sure you don't have a short. You can also watch the cap charge and then level out, but that's another story...

Yes, you could try the other cap. Be aware every time you solder the joint you continue to weaken things and are more apt to have future problems when soldering.

#832 8 years ago

When I test the cap like pictured above, I watch it clump to 2k then stop, I reverse the Leeds and watch it drop back down to zero.

#833 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

When I test the cap like pictured above, I watch it clump to 2k then stop, I reverse the Leeds and watch it drop back down to zero.

Not as definitive as an ESR meter, but that's pretty much what you should see.

#834 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Not as definitive as an ESR meter, but that's pretty much what you should see.

I think I fig out what is causing the static on the one channel. When I replaced the amp for that channel, I pulled 2 of the 5 through holes out with it. When I rock the amp back and forth , the static seems to clean up, so I think a few of the legs are not making a clean enough connection. I'm going to the electronics store to see if they sell a through hole repair kit.

#835 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I think I fig out what is causing the static on the one channel. When I replaced the amp for that channel, I pulled 2 of the 5 through holes out with it. When I rock the amp back and forth , the static seems to clean up, so I think a few of the legs are not making a clean enough connection. I'm going to the electronics store to see if they sell a through hole repair kit.

Thata do it sir I hope u get it figured out u deserve a nice working pin after all this

#836 8 years ago

Here's some info on the tools and techniques for through-hole repair:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/230-repairing-plated-through-holes

Unless it's a pretty good sized electronics store I doubt if they will carry the tools/consumables you need for the eyelet technique. You could also just use the stitch method describe in the link above. Not as pretty, but it works.

#837 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thata do it sir I hope u get it figured out u deserve a nice working pin after all this

Thanks dude. Appreciate the kind words

#838 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Here's some info on the tools and techniques for through-hole repair:
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/230-repairing-plated-through-holes
Unless it's a pretty good sized electronics store I doubt if they will carry the tools/consumables you need for the eyelet technique. You could also just use the stitch method describe in the link above. Not as pretty, but it works.

You were right, their in house tech told me to also use the stitch method. I'm gonna give it a shot.

#839 8 years ago

I have one more buyer for.the shooter lane plastic. One of Pin-a-Go-Go 's organizers is missing his completely. When it's time I'll order his too.

1 week later
#840 8 years ago

Just wanted show the before and after of the reproduced shooter lane plastic

image.jpgimage.jpg
Before

image.jpgimage.jpg
And after. Looks even better in person.

#841 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Before

Definitely different but it looks nice and helps lots of people out on this impossible plastic to find good job op

#842 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Before

Awesome!!! I'm glad you like it, that yellow is really hard to duplicate but it is pretty close. I have about ten more to do and i've been so busy, I'm having a hard time finding the time, but I'll get them done as soon as possible.

3 weeks later
#843 8 years ago

Hey RampShot! As a relatively new JD owner, I just plowed through your entire restoration thread. Awesome to see such an underrated game brought back to life. One thing I just learned is that my JD doesn't even have the launcher plastic you reproduced! I didn't even know there was supposed to be something there. What can I do to get one of your awesome repro plastics?

Thanks again for a riveting thread!

#844 8 years ago
Quoted from squaresville:

Hey RampShot! As a relatively new JD owner, I just plowed through your entire restoration thread. Awesome to see such an underrated game brought back to life. One thing I just learned is that my JD doesn't even have the launcher plastic you reproduced! I didn't even know there was supposed to be something there. What can I do to get one of your awesome repro plastics?
Thanks again for a riveting thread!

No problem. Glad you liked the thread. What an underrated game right? Well I am behind on about 15 shooter lane plastics so I will gladly add you to the list.

#845 8 years ago

Grr, my shooter plastic is also broken. At first I couldn't find out why and how it happened, as I was always careful, but then I glued it back on and one time I wanted to raise the playfield, and the plastic just snapped off when resting against the head. D'oh, what a design flaw.

I don't need to be on the list for a replacement, just getting this out there

#846 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Grr, my shooter plastic is also broken. At first I couldn't find out why and how it happened, as I was always careful, but then I glued it back on and one time I wanted to raise the playfield, and the plastic just snapped off when resting against the head. D'oh, what a design flaw.
I don't need to be on the list for a replacement, just getting this out there

I feel your pain. I always thought because the ball trough shot the ball into the shooter lane so hard that that was was broke all the shooter plastics, but your explanation makes sense also. Anyway, huge design flaw and I wish they were easier to make or someone with professional equipment would make it. Many JD owners would be happy.

#847 8 years ago

I still can't understand how this plastic breaks all the time. People say it is when you lift the playfield, but it doesn't come close to the backbox. Can't wait to get mine.

#848 8 years ago

Sorry Industen, I've been dragging azz lately. I won't send them if they are not as close to perfect as I can get them and it is a bitch to get them perfect. I promise I'll try to get them out quicker.

#849 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

No problem. Glad you liked the thread. What an underrated game right? Well I am behind on about 15 shooter lane plastics so I will gladly add you to the list.

Thank you so much for the consideration!

Also, to everyone: has anyone seen a place to purchase the metal spacers between the two Deadworld layers? My Dredd came with them just flat together so the balls just rolled out. I have vinyl spacers there for now but would like to find the proper part. I Googled around for 02-4890 but haven't come up with anything yet.

#850 8 years ago

Sqauresville, you can order them from grainger, you might have to buy a minimum of 10 though. I'll try to get the measurement of them for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-dilemma/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.