image.jpg
image-523.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-249.jpg
image-715.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
#701 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Do you have a new driver board? If so then the male pins are good - but did you do anything to the female plugs that go to the driver board (like replace with Trifuricon ones)?

I replaced a coil today and ever since then I've been having this power issue. It was to the sniper tower popper so there is no diode involved.
The driver board is new and I did not replace any female plugs.
I watched the mpu just start rebooting in the middle of a game so I pressed on the Asic chip and a couple others and it helped for about 5 mins and the rebooted again. The mpu board is brand new.

#702 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I replaced a coil today and ever since then I've been having this power issue

That is important to know.
Did you solder the two thicker wires to the banded side of the diode?

#703 9 years ago

Yea it definitely has something to do with the new coil if it just started doing it

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That is important to know.
Did you solder the two thicker wires to the banded side of the diode?

Nevermind about the diode statement. I just checked my game and it also has no diodes. Confused with a different series of games.

Why did you change the coil and did you put the correct replacement part on? Can you check with the ohmmeter and see how much resistance you measure across it?

#705 9 years ago

Nevermind about the diode statement. I just checked my game and it also has no diodes. Confused with a different series of games.
Why did you change the coil and did you put the correct replacement part on? Can you check with the ohmmeter and see how much resistance you measure across it?

I changed it because the coil in the popper was old and having a hard time getting the ball up the metal tower. It's a 23-800. I will measure the resistance.

#706 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea it definitely has something to do with the new coil if it just started doing it

I hear ya but just don't understand how a coil to a popper even if it were bad or soldered wrong would make the game reset intermittently. It doesn't make sense. Am I off?

#707 9 years ago

Its hard to tell what makes these things do the things they do lol I have come across some weird issues .just seems since thats the only thing u changed that it has something to do with that as it was fine before and you have new driver board and cpu

#708 9 years ago

Well last night I checked all the connections coming off of the transformer, took them apart and cleaned them with contact cleaner.
Tested the line voltage from the outlet and the service outlet at the bottom of the cab. They all had plenty of voltage coming in. Put everything back together and turned the machine on and played a game and within the first 2 minutes the game reset.
Next I took the driver board out and tested all the components that pin wiki suggested and they all seemed fine. I took the heat sink off of the bridge rectifier and applied some new thermal paste because it looked like the old paste was gone. Put the driver board back in reconnected all the connectors and the game hasn't reset once yet and I've played about 20 games. Not sure what fixed the issue but it seems like it's gone. Hopefully for good.

#709 9 years ago

So is the driver board a used one?

#710 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

So is the driver board a used one?

It is yes. It started resetting again. I put the back glass back on and closed the back box door and it started resetting again.

#711 9 years ago

You have done so much board work I wondering if you are securing the boards by ground. Are they secured in the backbox? Some people just test the board by not securing and immediately go for the BR and shotgun it when resets occur. Yes, it is frustrating to unscrew and test then remove again but you can lose just enough voltage to cause this.

#712 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

You have done so much board work I wondering if you are securing the boards by ground. Are they secured in the backbox? Some people just test the board by not securing and immediately go for the BR and shotgun it when resets occur. Yes, it is frustrating to unscrew and test then remove again but you can lose just enough voltage to cause this.

What does shotgun it mean? BR = bridge rectifier?

#713 9 years ago

Shotgun=When you just blindly replace a part when you don't really need to. BR is bridge rectifier. There is a simple reset board you can buy that stabilizes the 5v. While it may not be good long term it does a very good job of doing what it suppose to.

#714 8 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Shotgun=When you just blindly replace a part when you don't really need to. BR is bridge rectifier. There is a simple reset board you can buy that stabilizes the 5v. While it may not be good long term it does a very good job of doing what it suppose to.

Yeah I saw that board you are referring to. Do I have to fix my issue first or can I just buy that board and I'll be good to go?

#715 8 years ago

Also, I re flowed the solder on the LM232 5 v filter thingy because the solder looked real bad. I'm going to pop it back in and hope for the best.

#716 8 years ago

The power board at Kahr.us does a nice job. Some people don't like the fact it masks the problem without actually fixing it. I bought one because it does 2 things:
1 let's me keep playing until I'm ready to take the machine offline and fix It.
2 diagnoses the issue as a low 5v condition by fixing the problem.

#717 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

The power board at Kahr.us does a nice job. Some people don't like the fact it masks the problem without actually fixing it. I bought one because it does 2 things:
1 let's me keep playing until I'm ready to take the machine offline and fix It.
2 diagnoses the issue as a low 5v condition by fixing the problem.

I gotcha. I am going to pick one up at the A town show if they are there. If not I'll order one. But I reflowed the solder on the component in the pick below and so far no reset. The solder did look pretty bad so hopefully that fixed the issue. Time will tell.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#718 8 years ago

Well, also at the same time you basically reseated J101, J102, and J114 as well.
I am firmly believing one or all three of these female connectors need to be repinned.

#719 8 years ago

Well, also at the same time you basically reseated J101, J102, and J114 as well.
I am firmly believing one or all three of these female connectors need to be repinned.

I suspect that too.

#720 8 years ago

Still no reset.

#721 8 years ago

This damn machine is cursed!!! Everytime I fix something , something new breaks. So it's been 14 hours and about 30 games since it last reset so i'm hopeful the reflow of solder for the 5v regulator did the trick. Hopeful, but far from certain.
Anyway, last night all of the sudden the right ball shooter won't fire the ball into the playfield...WTF???
So, I shut the machine down, take off the glass and lockdown bar, (for the 100th time this weekend) and wouldn't you know, the bracket broke. The metal didn't snap but the bracket is welded together where one section gets bolted down to the pf and the other holder the coil and plunger in place. Well, the weld broke apart. Now before someone says,"It is a 23 year old machine" This bracket is brand new from Marco. The game did not come with the right ball shooter so I had to order every part of the ball shooter so every piece of it is brand new. I was able to fix it last night by drilling 3 holes in the bracket to marry the 2 pieces back together. Then used small nuts and bolts to lock it down.

Can I recap what broke on me so far since the "completion" of the machine Monday night.
2 ramp optos, 1 opto on the ball trough, the plunger for the sniper tower, the right ball shooter bracket and let's not forget the game resets.
But when something isn't breaking, the game plays amazing!!!

#722 8 years ago

Takes a while before all the bugs are worked out once you get a project game running.
Power through it and enjoy it every game you can.

#723 8 years ago

Takes a while before all the bugs are worked out once you get a project game running.
Power through it and enjoy it every game you can.

Ok thanks. So you dont' think the game is cursed?
I'm half kidding but holy sh_tballs this sucks.

#724 8 years ago

Not at all.
Don't forget to reseat the power connectors as I mentioned next time when you have a reset issue before doing anything else. Need to narrow it down as the likely possibility.

#725 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Ok thanks. So you dont' think the game is cursed?

Other than brand new parts breaking, what you've seen is pretty normal.

If the resetting comes back, put a meter on the 5 volts (at the cpu) and leave it there. Then if it resets you can see if it correlates to a drop in voltage. If it does then start moving upstream to identify where the problem is.

#726 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Other than brand new parts breaking, what you've seen is pretty normal.
If the resetting comes back, put a meter on the 5 volts (at the cpu) and leave it there. Then if it resets you can see if it correlates to a drop in voltage. If it does then start moving upstream to identify where the problem is.

Ok. I'll give it a try. Don't know exactly where that is but I'll refer to the manual to figure it out.

#727 8 years ago

Who would like one?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#728 8 years ago

Being that is upside down, it looks like it to be the right shooter lane plastic. If so I need one

#729 8 years ago

Being that is upside down, it looks like it to be the right shooter lane plastic. If so I need one

I should have a few done tonight. I'll post pics and if you like, pm me your address or if your going to A town show, I'll bring them and give one there at the show to whoever needs one.

#730 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Who would like one?

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Me me me!!!

#732 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I should have a few done tonight. I'll post pics and if you like, pm me your address or if your going to A town show, I'll bring them and give one there at the show to whoever needs one.

PM sent. It is possible to make the plastic above the captive ball?

#733 8 years ago

PM sent. It is possible to make the plastic above the captive ball?

I think so. Let's see how these come out first. That plastic looks a little more involved. But do able I think.

#734 8 years ago

Also, game still has not reset since reflowing the solder on the 5v regulator.

#735 8 years ago

Give it time. It will frustrate you again. I hope not actually.

#736 8 years ago

Give it time. It will frustrate you again. I hope not actually.

Unfortunately, your probably right.

#737 8 years ago

Wow, much respect man, what a mess it can be. There is nothing worse than shit breaking just after you fixed something else. Story of pinball: there is ALWAYS something that breaks.

About your power reset problems, do you know the age of the caps and bridge rectifiers on the driver board? I'm not talking about shotgun approach, but I have WPC board where I replaced all caps and bridges, and that made stuff work again. Resets are mostly fixed by reseating transformer connectors or replacing caps/bridges on the driver board.

You are so close to get a working machine man, don't quit!

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Wow, much respect man, what a mess it can be. There is nothing worse than shit breaking just after you fixed something else. Story of pinball: there is ALWAYS something that breaks.
About your power reset problems, do you know the age of the caps and bridge rectifiers on the driver board? I'm not talking about shotgun approach, but I have WPC board where I replaced all caps and bridges, and that made stuff work again. Resets are mostly fixed by reseating transformer connectors or replacing caps/bridges on the driver board.
You are so close to get a working machine man, don't quit!

Thanks a lot. I'm not sure the age of the caps, when I bought the machine it was missing the driver board all together so I bought a used fully working board off ebay. It was working fine then the resets started. I reflowed the 5volt regulator upon the suggestion of pinwiki and ever since the resets have stopped. Been almost 2 full days since any resets. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#739 8 years ago

Bad news regarding the shooter lane plastic. The colors came out to light. But have no fear, I will keep tweaking it until I get it perfect. Just might take a little longer than expected.

#740 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Bad news regarding the shooter lane plastic. The colors came out to light. But have No Fear, I will keep tweaking it until I get it perfect. Just might take a little longer than expected.

I'm sure like all the other problems with your game you'll fight your way thru

#741 8 years ago

I noticed last night when playing that when I get a multi ball going, most time the game loses track of the balls and the ball ends even though I still have one or two balls in play. I do have a plastic trough protecter in the ball trough so I'm wondering if it isn't causing the game to think more balls drained than really did. It does seem to slide out of place on it's own sometimes. Did anyone else have the same issue? Thanks.

#742 8 years ago

Here are some troubleshooting notes about Judge Dredd and ball count problems.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_8&products_id=135

#743 8 years ago

I think that is exactly what is happening. The crane kind of drags the ball of the planet ring instead of lifting it properly. It's not easy getting that crane right. Thanks for the help.

#744 8 years ago

Ah, I had the same stuff. Check where the balls are going when the crane picks them off the deadworld ring. I had to align the ring with the crane better, because the balls fell off the crane, and rolled over the deadworld ring. They HAVE to pass the opto when the crane drops them, otherwise the game thinks the ball is still on the deadworld ring. Takes a bit of fiddling around. My game is very good now, zero missed balls.

*edit* that is with the deadworld mod on of course. Otherwise they just fall off.

#745 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Ah, I had the same stuff. Check where the balls are going when the crane picks them off the deadworld ring. I had to align the ring with the crane better, because the balls fell off the crane, and rolled over the deadworld ring. They HAVE to pass the opto when the crane drops them, otherwise the game thinks the ball is still on the deadworld ring. Takes a bit of fiddling around. My game is very good now, zero missed balls.
*edit* that is with the deadworld mod on of course. Otherwise they just fall off.

Got it. I'm going to make some adjustments when I get home. That crane in general is a pain in the rear to get right. The angle it has to sit in order for the lifter bar too ride on the cam needs to be perfect.
The strange thing was in the "unload globe" test , the crane would not pick the balls of the deadworld ring but when I tried it in game, it worked. I don't get it.

#746 8 years ago

Ok so when I light the lock for multi-ball, the globe starts spinning and I'll get 2 balls on the globe. As the 2 balls are orbiting and I am working on getting the third ball up the ramp, the ball ends even though I still have the third ball in play. I'm stumped. Beside this quirky issue , the game play is great.

#747 8 years ago

What software version are you using?
Did you purchase the deadworld mod?

#748 8 years ago

What software version are you using?
Did you purchase the deadworld mod?

I did purchase the deadworld mod yes so whatever software came with the mod. L-1 I believe? Not for sure though.

#749 8 years ago

Just was asking about the software as you can buy the ring by itself.
So then that piece you put into the trough was also part of the Pinbits mod that you bought.
Can you remove it just to see if there is a difference?

#750 8 years ago

Just was asking about the software as you can buy the ring by itself.
So then that piece you put into the trough was also part of the Pinbits mod that you bought.
Can you remove it just to see if there is a difference?

I'll remove it and see what happens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-dilemma/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.