image.jpg
image-523.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-249.jpg
image-715.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
#601 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you need me to test out all the boards for you in my JD ?

I appreciate the offer but all the boards are brand new except the CPU board and the sound board.

#602 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

I appreciate the offer but all the boards are brand new except the CPU board and the sound board.

And yet you are having trouble.
Can I repair some of the other boards for you so you can have spare boards?

#603 9 years ago

The CPU board is in question right now, just as is the playfield wiring for your switch column not registering. At the very least, if you can find a friend near you were you could test out the CPU in another machine (not necessarily JD), it needs to be verified that it needs to be fixed or prove that it works.

#604 9 years ago

The CPU board is in question right now, just as is the playfield wiring for your switch column not registering.

Actually it has pretty much been narrowed down to the cpu. Please take the time to read the last few pages regarding the troubleshooting that has been done in regards to this problem. At that point if you have some new ideas or something that we've missed that would be great.

#605 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Actually it has pretty much been narrowed down to the cpu. Please take the time to read the last few pages regarding the troubleshooting that has been done in regards to this problem. At that point if you have some new ideas or something that we've missed that would be great.

Just that I'm offering to test and repair that MPU.

#606 9 years ago

I'll do better if the CPU board is in my hands.

#607 9 years ago

Though RampShot11, I'm wondering. Since you had disassembled the playfield to shop it out, do you still have it disassembled at this time? I'm hoping that all the switches to that column are not tied into parts of the playfield that might be disconnected.

#608 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Please take the time to read the last few pages regarding the troubleshooting that has been done in regards to this problem

I've been reading it over dozens of times. New issues keep popping up before some other issues get resolved.

So I'm also wondering, are all the insert lamps now working? I seem to have missed the result after I had suggested to resolder the male connector pins on all the lamp boards. Someone else had a suggestion to that as well but I do not think either suggestion was ever replied to on this issue.

#609 9 years ago

I've been reading it over dozens of times. New issues keep popping up before some other issues get resolved.
So I'm also wondering, are all the insert lamps now working? I seem to have missed the result after I had suggested to resolder the male connector pins on all the lamp boards. Someone else had a suggestion to that as well but I do not think either suggestion was ever replied to on this issue.

Not all the insert lamps are working yet. I didn't get a chance to test the boards and possibly resolder the bad ones. I think the diodes are bad on the inserts that don't work. There's only 3 that are out.
Also, I do not have the playfeild fully back together yet. The crane and pretty much all metal and plastic ramps are still not installed so the Optos for them are also not installed. Most of the remaining pieces pretty much all are in the bad switch column. I will send you the CPU board for sure if I can't figure out what's wrong. For now I'm ordering a new one.

#610 9 years ago

This is where I'm at with the playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#611 9 years ago

I think you have your green wires connected to J207. Can you move it up to J206?
J206 and J207 are connected together pin 1 to pin 1, etc... I am working on an acid damaged board out of a WCS and there is corrosion on these J207 pins so much that one whole column of switches are not working. I moved it up to J206 and all the switches happen to work. Though on this board, I have to replace all the male pins at the bottom of the MPU because they are corroded and I don't want to deal with intermittent switch errors anymore.

Also no good on moving the connector to J206. Still dead blue/green column.

#612 9 years ago

Just wanna say if you're getting a new board www.arcadeshop.com/ has the best price for it. When I first got my JD it had battery acid damage on the MPU board. It was making the start, test, volume and credit buttons not work. Over 35 components needed to be changed out on the acid damage board so I just got a new one. Arcadeshop.com had the best price, but you need to call and place the order. Only down side.

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Just wanna say if you're getting a new board http://www.arcadeshop.com/ has the best price for it. When I first got my JD it had battery acid damage on the MPU board. It was making the start, test, volume and credit buttons not work. Over 35 components needed to be changed out on the acid damage board so I just got a new one. Arcadeshop.com had the best price, but you need to call and place the order. Only down side.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

#614 9 years ago

Just wanna say if you're getting a new board http://www.arcadeshop.com/ has the best price for it but you need to call and place the order. Only down side.

What is this "call" you speak of ? Is the an email address to this "call" ?

#615 9 years ago

New Mpu board is ordered and should be here Friday. Thanks Philly! In the meantime I will start putting the rest of the playfield back together and keep my fingers crossed.

#616 9 years ago

Some pics after the plastic ramps have been added. Of course none of the ramp optos work yet because they are all in the blue/green switch row.

Cedar Knolls colo 290.JPGCedar Knolls colo 290.JPG Cedar Knolls colo 289.JPGCedar Knolls colo 289.JPG Cedar Knolls colo 288.JPGCedar Knolls colo 288.JPG
#617 9 years ago

Getting close to the finish line. No CPU delivery like I had hoped today but should be Monday. If the CPU fixes the switch column issue, I'll be firing her up Monday night.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-222.jpgimage-222.jpg
#618 9 years ago

The green bands look nice

#619 9 years ago

The green bands look nice

Thank you.

#620 9 years ago

Done. Thank goodness !! Just have to through the legs on and install the new CPU that should arrive Monday.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#621 9 years ago

Some before and after pics.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-715.jpgimage-715.jpg image-249.jpgimage-249.jpg
#622 9 years ago

Played a couple of test games even though it's not 100% but it's awesome ! I love it!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#623 9 years ago

Looks like I have to pull the crane mech back out and re do it. It's not picking the balls up at all. It seems a bit too loose or something. Any suggestions on tightening everything up?

#624 9 years ago

Is it trying to pick up the balls? Or does the crane just stay still when a ball is on the ring?

#625 9 years ago

Is it trying to pick up the balls? Or does the crane just stay still when a ball is on the ring?

It tries to pick up the balls but doesn't for some reason. The magnet is working because I tested it but it only stays fully magnetized for a very short amount of time.

#628 9 years ago

Before you get too crazy checking stuff first clean the opto's underneath the playfield under the planet.
There's two black "U" shaped opto's on a U shaped circuit board that can get dirty and make the crane unable to pick the balls up.
This is what the circuit board looks like
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16598

#629 9 years ago

Before you get too crazy checking stuff first clean the opto's underneath the playfield under the planet.
There's two black "U" shaped opto's on a U shaped circuit board that can get dirty and make the crane unable to pick the balls up.
This is what the circuit board looks like
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16598

Ok. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

#630 9 years ago

Some pics after the back box was led'd.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-523.jpgimage-523.jpg
#631 9 years ago

The CPU has arrived. I am on my way home to pop it in. Wish me luck!!

#632 9 years ago

threads like this are great - seeing all of the perseverance from you teamed up with help from the forum is really neat. good luck rampshot.

-Steve

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from sfleming:

threads like this are great - seeing all of the perseverance from you teamed up with help from the forum is really neat. good luck rampshot.
-Steve

Tyvm. IT WORKS!!!! I'm loving it.

#634 9 years ago

Thanks all for the help !! Even the crane is working fine! I seriously could not have done this without your help. Hope to meet some of you at A-town. Thanks again!! Thanks for hangin in there with me. Now I'll be very busy playing Dredd for a week straight.

#635 9 years ago

Good job

#636 9 years ago

Wow, nice to see you have it all straightened out now. I know you put a ton of time and an exorbitant amount of money in this.

#637 9 years ago

Throw that part about $1400 right out the window.

Congrats!

#638 9 years ago

Glad you got it working. Now get those boards repaired and you'll have some spares.

#639 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Glad you got it working. Now get those boards repaired and you'll have some spares.

I will indeed. Thanks Terry.

#640 9 years ago

Even after a few decades you will remember 2015 as the year you repaired the Judge Dredd
Well done and congrats !

#641 9 years ago

We all will. Feels like 1993 all over again. Rampshot is now the expert.

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Even after a few decades you will remember 2015 as the year you repaired the Judge Dredd
Well done and congrats !

Quoted from o-din:

We all will. Feels like 1993 all over again. Rampshot is now the expert.

Thank you.

#643 9 years ago

I realized last night that opto 64 & 66 are not registering so I found the connectors under the playfield and with a jumper wire was able to test the board good. So I know the issue is at the opto and not at the board or the wiring. The solder on the back of these optos looks old and probably needs new solder. I have extra optos in case I need to replace them. The bad part is they are in really tight spots so I'll have to remove a couple ramps to replace them.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#644 9 years ago

Eventually the clear transmitter optos will burn out as they are on all the time.
I plan on changing all my transmitter optos as I want the reliability of a new machine.

If you don't change them, I do at least suggest cleaning them.

#645 9 years ago

Silly question but did you try cleaning them?

#646 9 years ago

Eventually the clear transmitter optos will burn out as they are on all the time.
I plan on changing all my transmitter optos as I want the reliability of a new machine.

Silly question but did you try cleaning them?

Yes I took all the optos and trams and receivers fully appart and cleaned them thoroghly and reassembled them. I'll shoot a pic of what the solder looks like on the backs of them. I think you'll agree it looks like cold solder.

#647 9 years ago

I was thinking it might be easier to remove the backboard as I should have plenty of room to re install them with it out of the way. It might be easier then taking the ramps back off.

#648 9 years ago

great project Ramp, good to see another Williams brought back from the dead

#649 9 years ago

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

great project Ramp, good to see another Williams brought back from the dead

Thank you sir. Dredd will ride again!! Just in time to pick up something new from A town. I promised myself I wouldnt buy a new pin until Dredd was done.

#650 9 years ago

No good on re doing the solder. You were right, either the trans or receiver are dead. I'll tr replacing one at a time later. Gotta head back to the office for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-dilemma/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.